CoronaVirus

Started by Amanda Dearheart, March 24, 2020, 00:44:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Amanda Dearheart

I'M interested to know how the Corona Virus have affected your projects, your social life, your day-job (optional) if you have one.
Be serious guys!
Prepare to be assimilated !  Resistance is futile!

Matty

I've been unemployed (by choice) since June last year, had an interview for a seemingly perfect job two weeks ago, perfect fit - programming, my field, my languages, research and development....and as of a few days ago hiring stopped.

I've been living off savings - not using the dole for that time, and now...with everything shutting down it makes what was difficult to get a job basically impossible.

round157

Quote from: bsisko on March 24, 2020, 00:44:37
I'M interested to know how the Corona Virus have affected........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_coronavirus_pandemic
:(

These data are updated every day. I am always frightened by the data of the countries.

Italy has 63,927 cases and United States has 44011 cases. Is there any Italian member at this forum?

MikeHart

I am doing HomeOffice for a week now. Works pretty well. As I have asthma for years now, I am of course nervous about all this. My city has strict rules now about being outside. Only to go shopping, to work, or to the doctor. You can go for a walk with ony one more person.Only with family members that live in your household it could be more. All shops (besides food and tool markets), bars, clubs, gyms, restaurants were closed. You are surpose to keep distance of 1.5 meters between each person.
Public transportation runs less frequent. And of course, toilet paper, yeast and desinfection sprays are hard to find. People sell them overpriced on ebay, so you know where the stocks went.

What I find great is that the air seems to be more clean and the noize is much less.

Personally I don't believe the numbers of deaths reported in Germany, they must be higher. And for sure we have more cases, but they only test if you were in a risk area before. Well the state were I live was declared a risk area already.  ::) 

Qube

I work from home so luckily I don't have to worry about that side. I do have a worry that the companies who I write apps and do remote work for may just stop dead / go out of business / not want anything done but so far they've most recently wanted to get setup so they can do remote work from home and link to the servers on site. Time will tell but so far so good on that front.

When all this started I began by buying just what was needed just like any other time. I noticed the shelves getting sparse but just thought that people were buying a little extra. Then recently when I went shopping and saw shelves stripped in every store I thought "What option am I left with if everyone else is super bulk buying?" - So unfortunately thanks to the selfish me me me people I've been left with no choice but to grab what I can, where I can.

Quote from: MikeHart on March 24, 2020, 04:47:27
Personally I don't believe the numbers of deaths reported in Germany...
Personally I don't believe any of the numbers and would say it's far greater than the "official" ones. I still think there is something more to it all to warrant all these measures. Hope it all fizzles away soon but part of me believes the worst is yet to come.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Naughty Alien

..i have just finished/deployed my hardware on to several oil rigs, and got more projects offered for redesigning robots for processor manufacturing...not that affect me at all...all this zombie apocalypse freak show doesnt compute at all..

..and its patented, of course..
https://patents.google.com/patent/US10130701B2/en

Derron

two weeks ago the university I (till end of March) work for asked us to do home office if possible. Another "letter" even stated to just stay home ...
New job contract (from April on :D) has to be signed by someone working in home office now. That half-privately funded institute offers home office too and disallows to work in laboratories if not the only person in there.
Hope they properly sign as money... is needed :D

Home office itself: does not properly work. We live in a flat/appartment and I have a room in which my computers, tinker stuff, ... is placed. Yet our two kids (1 and 4) are not so keen to let me work. Till previous sunday my wife was working in shifts but as MikeHart wrote restaurants, gym clubs, ... closed. Also she would normally have holiday this week so ... I think we should get back the holiday week as government forbid opening their working place.

Last week I was buying stuff - or at least "checking out" - daily in 3 local stores. No toilet paper or kitchen paper everywhere (even in penny stores). We had some rolls left so not an emergency case yet. Stores had a lot of vegetables, fruits and fresh meat. Some stuff was not delivered (fresh yeast - nowhere?!) but other important products like salt, meal, pasta were available in masses. In one store the "cheap pasta" was out of stock ... but this does not have to say much.

Food wise we already have a lot of stuff at home (as I always bought a little "too much" so I can bake a cake if my kids want it, or cook XYZ if they desire). Yet I will go out today to buy a little more - always just what fits into a normal backbag. Why? Each day you wait the number of infected grows. So the number of potential "in the supermarket too" number grows - and so infection chance.
So if you did like they asked: staying at home. You sooner or later end up having empty shelves and then are required to buy stuff. Infection rate then is higher (grows for now faster than curing rate).

Government asks to stay at home: for kids living in a single family house often have a garden in which you can play. Living in a flat means you might have a balcony but else ... are forcing your kids to stay in their rooms. Exception is going for a walk - but you are not allowed to go to a playground or so. As they now required you to stay home this way (only go out for buying stuff or when going to work) you are even not allowed to visit friends (even if you only visited them and they only visit you), you cannot bypass the limitation a tiny bit to offer the kids a bit more variation.
Having a bit older kids would ease stuff: giving them a book to read, power on the TV for some kids TV or hand out a tablet / laptop ...

@ numbers in Germany
I do not know of an infected or a buddy who knows of an infected ... so numbers of validated are still "low". Numbers of Deaths will surely rise and some countries might just blindly count every death in a region as Corona death while Germany (and other countries) count only persons dying while being affected by Corony syntoms or tested positively for it. For now many infected in Germany were coming from sports areas - and from "costume parties" (in Heinsberg). So it should have affected mostly younger and "fitter" people - more healthy ones. Yet most dying people were 70+ (for now...).
Think the British magazines/newspapers are right with the "social assumption": Spain and Italy are "family countries" in which grand parents live near their kids - sometimes even in the same house. So more older people were affected and so more "no longer so healthy" persons.

bye
Ron

degac

Hi
I'm italian.
The situation is taken very seriously here since the beginning. Of course we have the 'usual idiots' who don't care to follow the rule to respect the others... but the number is low.

I'm working from home (IT sector is considered a vital activity in this moment) - I can exit my home just for grocery shopping and - in my case - just for work. No walk, no bike, no meetings, no sport activities more than 200 mt from your home.
And in any case maintaing the 'social distance' of 1 or more meter from each one.
But honestly - exlcuding the 'social life' (pub, cinema etc) everything is working perfectly (no shortage of food or other goods, communications are ok)

I know at last two people that have friends or relatives infected by Covid19 - both working in health activities or shelter houses.
Many friends are blocked in home, with no work at the moment.

The good news is that it seems the peak of death/infection is reached and now we are getting of the slope.

We need just to follow the basic line to pass the moment.

Surely I'm getting crazy blocked in house :D
If there's a problem, there's at least one solution.
www.blitzmax.org

Xerra

I work for local borough council and we had a council-wide conference call yesterday at mid-day to basically state that, from this morning, anyone who is not an essential key-worker, adult social care, childrens services, and a few others are basically working from home. Services like waste collection were being run but had at least 50% of the workers already self-isolating or actually being ill with something. To my knowledge, in our council, there's not been any confirmed cases. Either that, or they've kept quite about it. Last count I saw said my borough had 40 confirmed cases in the area, which isn't a lot, but I'd expect it to escalate as there are a lot of non-English speakers and people with don't-care-attitudes that will ignore Government advice.

My other-half also works for the council and she's part of an administration team, while I work within an I.T and data analysis team. Both of us are naturally really not needed in an emergency like this so we are now working from home for the foreseeable future. We both have elderly parents but I'm lucky in having siblings who are looking after my side, so we will alternate dropping shopping and stuff off to her mum and dads house. They are under strict instructions to both not answer the door and see anyone outside of the house for as long as possible. The missus will, after a couple of weeks to make sure we're clear of any bugs we might have caught at the council, resume popping round every couple of days to clean their house and make sure they are ok because both of them are 80+, which is very worrying.

The missus is a natural worrier so she's always well-stocked with stuff like toilet rolls and cleaning stuff. We don't have a huge hoard of food but we'll cope as this panic buying situation in the UK is frankly stupid. I don't believe the government all the time but when they say it's stupid to be queuing outside tesco for 400+ people trying to empty the shelves out of pure greed and panic, I believe it. Italy haven't had any issues with food supply despite having had the problem longer than us and the Italians have now stopped doing this as they've realised. I expect the UK to do that too, pretty soon. Especially as there are more restrictions in place with Police getting FPN powers since yesterday.

I'm planning to do a bit of running in the afternoons, as it's been a while, and we'll do a daily shopping trip just for essentials, more as a way of getting out of the house for a while, as there's not a lot else we're going to be allowed to do pretty soon.

Apart from this, apart from maybe getting a little stir-crazy, we're going to cope just fine. I'm setting all my work equipment up in the loft and the missus will use the kitchen table, so we don't mess with the layout in my man-cave, as both our computer desks for entertainment are set up in there. I'm going to enjoy the peace and quiet, in all honesty. I doubt very much I'll be working as hard as I would be in the office but also nobody is really going to care as I'm not really needed at present. If I end up playing some Diablo, Playstation or have a nap in the afternoons then it's not really going to affect much at all. I've been delegated as a cordinator for a couple of teams at work to make sure everyones capable of working from home and has no issues, but this is just a whatsapp group to ensure people stay communicating more than anyone else.

I do think it's going to get a lot worse in the UK before it blows over, and our chief-exec thinks it's very likely that more than 80% of the country will probably get it at some point before everything blows over, but things have to be the way they are now to prevent it all happening at once and completely fucking up the NHS ability to cope. They might have a chance at saving more lives if people co-operate and try to avoid getting it as much as possible, and I completely get that and will follow the rules.

While I'm going on about this, I'd like to thank anyone who's reading who is working in the NHS, or any kind of medical area in any country. You guys are salt of  the earth and I really hope you get the appreciation you all deserve once this finally blows over and everyone can see how hard you tried to get us all through this.

Stay safe, everyone.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

GW

Day to day it's not much different for me.  I work from home and have for years.  My neighborhood is eerily quiet though.  I saw this coming and stocked up on dry food in Feb, but I'll still go to the store from time to time.  As long as my clients still pay their invoices I should be Ok.  My wife and daughter stuck in China though.

therevills

I've just started working from home, I need to get my desk set up right to use the work laptops (2). It seems strange to me at the moment...

I'm in Oz (same as Matty) and the gov has recently shut down pubs, club, gyms etc. Shops shelves are pretty empty on the rice, flour, toilet paper, cans etc....

It's the apocalypse people!  :o

MrmediamanX

I always work from home, not much of a socialite anyway so this works in my favor.
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

Steve Elliott

As a Wedding Photographer it's terrible news because Weddings are now banned.  My Wedding Fayres have also been cancelled by the company hosting them (two in April) and we'll see after that.  Luckily my wife is a Nurse and she's being offered work left, right and centre.  I just hope she doesn't become ill.  What really annoys me is the selfish twats (pic attached) being allowed to strip the supermarkets, there is no need for it.  I've been saying for some time, that supermarkets should be limiting the amount people can buy.  Sadly only now are supermarkets beginning to restrict the number of items from each line per customer.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Kryzon

With couples spending this much time together at home, with not much to do, a comedienne in my country postulated that there's going to be a "corona baby-boom", an entire generation born from quarantined couples.