Account Deleted

Started by codebang, March 12, 2020, 09:29:41

Previous topic - Next topic

codebang

Created an account yesterday only to try and log back on to find it removed. I'm assuming this is because I didn't post anything. Read elsewhere on here that it's due to keep spam accounts out. I understand, just was confused at first before I investigated.

I found this forum through another forum and figured I'd make an account for future use. Not gonna lie, I'm tempted to enter the competition that is underway.  :P Been trying to get back into game programming on a regular basis, and found that AGK, BlitzMax, C#, etc. have their own sections here. I've played with AGK (currently own AGK Classic and AGK Studio) off and on for a while and have also just got back into BlitzMax. So I figured this was a great place to learn and share code, games, etc. on! :)

Sorry if the fact that I didn't post anything is what got my account deleted.

Xerra

Qube is prolific on the delete button with 0 post accounts so that would likely have been it. You should be safe now.

Welcome to Syntax Bomb.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

round157

oh, I have a little suggestion for the forum. After a new member registers, the forum sends a notification email to inform the new member to write at least one post within the first 24 hours to prevent the account from being deleted.

dawlane

I find it amusing that Qube deletes accounts with zero post, when spam bots can post half a dozen less than a second apart.
If anything new members should only be allowed to post in a dedicated introduction section for the first 48 hours. This would makes it a lot easier to spot spam and delete offending accounts. Plus any new accounts that show no post after 28 days then get a warning email that their account will be deleted in the next 48 hours, unless there is any activity.

3DzForMe

QuoteI found this forum through another forum and figured I'd make an account for future use. Not gonna lie, I'm tempted to enter the competition that is underway.   Been trying to get back into game programming on a regular basis, and found that AGK, BlitzMax, C#, etc. have their own sections here. I've played with AGK (currently own AGK Classic and AGK Studio) off and on for a while and have also just got back into BlitzMax. So I figured this was a great place to learn and share code, games, etc. on!   

Welcome on board - it was the coding compos here that really got my coding mojo going again (although some others will probably say it still needs a kick up the arse  :))  )

Qube is an awesome admin forum, keeps everything ship shape and Bristol fashion - and without him and his forum, my numerous competition entries wouldn't have seeen the light of day. Doubt I woulda changed a trailer into a man cave to code in either !

Good luck with your entry - you've a lot to choose from previous entries as 'jumping off' points.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

round157

Quote from: dawlane on March 13, 2020, 06:15:53
Plus any new accounts that show no post after 28 days then get a warning email that their account will be deleted in the next 48 hours, unless there is any activity.

Hi,

The above rule may delete many real human users' accounts. Then they may be annoyed. As a result, the forum may lose many of these members.

codebang

Quote from: Xerra on March 12, 2020, 20:37:04
Qube is prolific on the delete button with 0 post accounts so that would likely have been it. You should be safe now.

Welcome to Syntax Bomb.
Yeah, he messaged me earlier to let me know of the reasoning and said my account has been approved. :) I totally understand, gotta keep spam out! Thanks for the welcome!

I find it amusing that Qube deletes accounts with zero post, when spam bots can post half a dozen less than a second apart.
If anything new members should only be allowed to post in a dedicated introduction section for the first 48 hours. This would makes it a lot easier to spot spam and delete offending accounts. Plus any new accounts that show no post after 28 days then get a warning email that their account will be deleted in the next 48 hours, unless there is any activity.
An introduction section is not a bad idea. If I saw one here, I would've totally posted there and rambled on about myself. :P

Quote from: 3DzForMe on March 13, 2020, 06:33:23
Welcome on board - it was the coding compos here that really got my coding mojo going again (although some others will probably say it still needs a kick up the arse  :))  )

Qube is an awesome admin forum, keeps everything ship shape and Bristol fashion - and without him and his forum, my numerous competition entries wouldn't have seeen the light of day. Doubt I woulda changed a trailer into a man cave to code in either !

Good luck with your entry - you've a lot to choose from previous entries as 'jumping off' points.
I'm still on the fence of what entry to remake at the moment. I saw one game I would like to remake, but I see another is taking it on. So I'm wondering if I should pick a different game. I hope I'll enter, I'm just worried it won't be up to par as all the others, but I'll try my best. Thanks for the welcome!

Derron

Most newer bots do not spam right after creation - they create accounts and then sell these accounts or "rental" them. This is because of some retention time some forums have. Of course some smart bots even use introduction forums ... or in many other cases humans in cheap labour countries do the registration stuff (and potential "hi its me" introductions).

In other words: if the forum does not hide any section for unregistered users: what is the benefit of registering an account and not posting afterwards? I do not see many reasons.

bye
Ron

Naughty Alien

..shoot first, ask questions later man..

;D

Qube

As 99% of new user signups are spammers I delete zero posters every day or two. Unfortunately the odd one or two genuine accounts will fall into this brute force approach but it saves me a huge amount of admin time removing mountains of potential spam. Spammers do signup but don't necessarily post immediately.

Quote from: dawlaneI find it amusing that Qube deletes accounts with zero post, when spam bots can post half a dozen less than a second apart.
Somedays we have over 100+ posts / topics of spam to which members never see. The reason for this is that the first post has to be approved by me and even if the spammer has posted 1000 posts they do not show up for members until their account is approved. It's a bit of a chore but I'd rather it be this way than have members bombarded with stupid spam posts.

Quote from: 3DzForMeQube is an awesome admin forum, keeps everything ship shape and Bristol fashion - and without him and his forum, my numerous competition entries wouldn't have seeen the light of day. Doubt I woulda changed a trailer into a man cave to code in either !
Aww shucks, thanks, but I am super awesome - keep the praise flowing for my ego :)) - Seriously, keep it coming :P

Quote from: Naughty Alien..shoot first, ask questions later man..
Shoot first, I'm not interested in asking questions :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

3DzForMe

QuoteI'm just worried it won't be up to par as all the others, but I'll try my best. Thanks for the welcome!

I'll race you for the wooden spoon, that's usually my 'trophy' ;)   :D

QuoteAww shucks, thanks, but I am super awesome - keep the praise flowing for my ego  - Seriously, keep it coming   

Nope, that's this quarters praise delivered ;)
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1