Code a game comp - REBOOT - Mar 10th to May 10th 2020

Started by Qube, March 10, 2020, 18:31:34

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

Here's something moving  :o

This is with 'active' turned off - so everything is frozen. But you can still rotate and zoom.
Genus prime is your world (Red) and you can see a load of ships heading out to Rolum Home.
It sorta gives a good example of how the general ui works.

For the technical minded - this is NOT 3d. It's actually a standard flat 2d view with simple plot, drawcircle, etc.
Everything to make it 'look' 3d is just a bit of simple maths and some sorting.  8)

Qube

@iWasAdam, Oo very nice effect for a 2D approach. I expect full zooming in of planets to watch the combat up close and personal ;D which I'm sure you can get sorted with a new video for tomorrow? :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

Do not distract iWasAdam with new ideas - it ends up with a new side project :D

@ planet rotation
Looks nice, my Genus Prime kid is growing up it seems ;D *tear.of.pride.running.down*

BTW: Genus Prime translates as "ruling/dominating race" - dunno if this a proper planet name :)

PS: Why are the stars in the background moving so rapidly? Is the galaxy we are watching moving? I mean: it looks cool but I have no clue why it moves so "visibly".

bye
Ron

TomToad

Since I am out of work for a while, I guess I'll have some time to do an entry.  Thinking of reimagining Asteroids.  Several of the entries will apply to my submission, but I will choose Asteroids 3D as mine will also be 3d.  The current title is Raceteroids.  You race your spaceship through a course, but also need to blast asteroids, and other obstacles, out of the way.Thinking of having heavy lasers to disintegrate asteroids, and also lighter lasers which only deflect asteroids which you can use to deflect them into the path of your opponents.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Derron

@TomToads
Think of potential upgrades for you ships: "front driller" to drill small asteroid blocks coming from the front. "Heavy Ion Cannon" to pulverize with less shots. "Short Transport" makes you jump a bit by dematerializing (to avoid frontal crashes). ...

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

@iWasAdam, loving the solar system,

Everything to make it 'look' 3d is just a bit of simple maths and some sorting. 

Sweet.

@TomToad,  nice - asteroids with a 3D twist ;)

As for moi - just started work on a re-hash of my last attempt at a compo - not sure if that's what I'm going to opt for doing in the end - for now - I'm cutting my teeth with AGK Studio syntax.

Yep, actually moving on from Blitz 3D.... hey ho ;)
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

MrmediamanX

QuoteEverything to make it 'look' 3d is just a bit of simple maths and some sorting. 

totally, I came up 2 simple methods 'one using pivots within a 3d space and the other though limited used parallax scrolling.
fun times.

QuoteYep, actually moving on from Blitz 3D.... hey ho
say it ain't so 3DzForMe oh say it so :(
it's cool I'll still mess with the blitz3d. ;D
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

iWasAdam

sorting is done in 3d space, from a camera xyz, and then distance xyz from the camera xyz.

or if you assume that your eye is z=1000, transform your base xyz into just the z and do the sort on that :)

3DzForMe

Quoteay it ain't so 3DzForMe oh say it so
it's cool I'll still mess with the blitz3d.

..... only in as far as doing a 2D implementation of wild west shooty bang bang.

That - might work on phones.  Blitz 3D just doesn't cut that proverbial mustard - or is it custard?  :-\

AGK Studio 2 is surprisingly great at all things to all men.... It does MORE than Blitz 3D can for my 3D shenanigans - and - it is VERY intuitive when it comes to coding for mobile platforms.

Vote +1 for AGK Studio 2 from a blitz 3D big advocate. To be fair, my (I wish somewhat more slowly than they are at the mo....) advancing years may have curtailed my coding mojo off late.

This latest compo has rekindled my fires... again. Faced with some over egging the cake Cisco tutorials earlier today.... or coding in AGK2 Studio...... AGK2 Studio won. Well, it's Saturday after all - Swap Shop day!  Happy coding peeps ;)   ;D
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Qube

I've made a start 8)

ExBiEn 2 : Absolute badasses - is officially a go-go ;D

You may be asking haven't you done most of the work already?... Not really as :

1.. The game is being totally written from the ground up ( excluding game framework ) and will fix and improve on the original with much better and smarter controls and enemies + other cool stuff. It needs a rewrite as all the things planned can not be easily shoehorned into the old code and for the extras I need more optimised code throughout.

2.. A lot of the graphics I will reuse but will be creating additional new graphics. Hopefully the game will be much more atmospheric than the original.

3.. Some sounds effects I will also reuse but I've to create many new ones. Also all the music will be new and in a more orchestral sound rather than synth sounding. I know many download free music for their games but it's something I enjoy doing, even if it is a time killer.

Quite excited about it and coding mojo is on full steam ahead ;D
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Matty

That was a good game, Aliens slasb Alien Breed style game.  The one thing that put me off playing your original was the controls were a little tricky to play easily.  Otherwise it was an excellent entry.

Qube

Quote from: Matty on March 21, 2020, 23:58:31
That was a good game, Aliens slasb Alien Breed style game.  The one thing that put me off playing your original was the controls were a little tricky to play easily.  Otherwise it was an excellent entry.
Never fear, the sequel will fix all the issues of the original and be much better game, as all sequels should be. Bigger, better and absolutely bad ass ;D

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

I've made a start 8)

ExBiEn 2 : Absolute badasses - is officially a go-go ;D

Awesome.   :D
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Quote from: Steve Elliott on March 22, 2020, 00:40:13
Awesome.   :D
Hopefully  8) - Not quite sure if I'll do a worklog as it'd be mostly boring text like "I've optimised the map drawing speed by 25%+" - Which is true :))

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

brilliant choice  ;D

First task complete - take over Sol and see where it connects to (Sol icon has changed to show ownership and the program icon)