Warlock - an update on my competition entry 'The Young Prince'

Started by Matty, March 07, 2020, 20:25:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty

One of the competition entries a while ago I entered was 'The Young Prince' (on my website).

I received feedback from this site and others about the game (and it was one of my better entries as well).

I've decided to modify the game into a new version called 'Warlock' which will have the following features:

1. Single character player not four characters.
2. Character begins more powerful and has access to both magic and melee abilities right from the start.
3. Graphical updates - still mostly static graphics but I'm altering the palette used and the drawings.
4. More adventures/quests.
5. More spells.
6. General improvements all around.

Here are some screenshots from what I've done so far (after a few hours work)

Matty

Matty

Matty

Okay..this morning I did the following:

Added dialog boxes for communication with either a simple 'Yes No' confirm option or an 'Ok' option.

The dialog boxes allows for a picture, text or an avatar to be shown as well.

It is currently used in towns to either purchase new spells or food.

That's the other thing - food has been added. The player's food runs out as they travel over the overland map.

When the food reaches zero they fight less effectively in dungeons (basically all their dice rolls are rerolled and the worst result is chosen of the two).

Here are some images:

Matty

iWasAdam

Really nice :)
with the village it maybe an idea to bring back some form of grid, and possible introduce a fake shadow for characters to prevent them from 'floating'

Derron

Make sure to have consistent shadows/lighting. So your mountains on the tileset have a "2 or 3 o'clock" light source while the "town" has a "10 or 11 o'clock" light source.

So choose one - or have two of the same for day and night (which is harder for you as you need to paint the same thing twice - without much changes in the shape ---- except you go for "at day it is so ... and at night it is different" way as an interesting gameplay twist).

bye
Ron

Matty

Thanks, good feedback. I'm enjoying updating this game.

Doing one mode at a time....the various modes are:
Character sheet
Village
Overland map
Dungeon

Matty

Game progress....

Quest system updated. (multiple quests possible at one time)
Magic spells updated. (more spells, different graphical icons)
Character sheet interface updated. (tool tips on spells plus changed navigation slightly)

Matty

Game progress....

Added detail to charsheet
Added charges to spell abilities
Upscaled sprites in charsheet and dialog boxes.

Added interactive elements on overland map.

Enough for today.

Derron

"you have 63 gold pieces." ... I think ... there is a better wording for this :D

upscaling: why not just use the original res and scale that down to all the sizes accordingly - would save you that pixelated look.

bye
Ron

Matty

Re upscaling comment...because it is browser based I want to keep the pngs small in size....

Derron

Think we read about 1-2 Kb per character here - maybe even less. Place them on a tilesheet as requests are more expensive these days than added 100 Kilobytes for a browser game.

bye
Ron

Matty

Query about competition rules as it pertains to my new game:

My newgame is a redo of my previous competition entry.
I did not intend to create this one as a competition entry.
The rules of the current competiton seem to allow my game....with one exception-I began working on it 3 to 4 days before the competition start date.

I am happy for it to be excluded on that basis, but if I finish it before the competition deadline would it be acceptable as an entry?

I didn't want to derail the main competition thread with my question, but...my plan is to make the game and if it is finished before the deadline and is deemed not to be disqualified then I would happily enter it.

Otherwise...work will continue as per normal on the game.

Thanks.