Poll for new name for Monkey X

Started by Xaron, June 17, 2017, 21:11:36

Previous topic - Next topic

degac

Quick question:
Is it possible to take something (MonkeyX) and rebranding it (Cerberus X) without problems?
I suppose (never checked) that something defined OS must - at least - respect name and author of it.

Unless of course it's a derived work so with differences compared the original-source.

btw, what's the point to have another name?
If there's a problem, there's at least one solution.
www.blitzmax.org

MikeHart

Quote from: degac on June 20, 2017, 12:28:08
Quick question:
Is it possible to take something (MonkeyX) and rebranding it (Cerberus X) without problems?
I suppose (never checked) that something defined OS must - at least - respect name and author of it.

Unless of course it's a derived work so with differences compared the original-source.

Yes, imho you can as long you have Monkeys license shipped with the source and don't state that you wrote the whole damn thing yourself. Aka you have to mention M.S. somewhere.

Xaron

Yes that's possible. I've added it to the license readme already:
https://github.com/KrautApps/cerberus

Of course Mark will be always the original author and will remain there forever. Plus it's obvious that the license will stay the same - so open source.

Beside that everything can be done.

Xaron

Hier übrigens schon mal das Logo. :)

Rick Nasher

Not into Monkey and probably past this stage, but couldn't resist as some hilarious ones came to mind:

SOM-X (Son Of Monkey-X)
Donkey
Wonkey
Monk-X
Monkeyz
BMX(Blitz Monkey X)  ;D
BlitzMonkxz
UMonkey
BOM (Bananas Over Monkey)
MSMD (MonkeySeesMonkeyDoes)
SOKX (Son Of Kong-X)
MiniMonkey
GorillaX
NMM (Not Marks Monkey)
X-Mon(k)ey

Pierrou

Thanks for everything you've done so far Xaron, Mike & al. I don't quite get what we could gain from renaming Monkey to Cerberus or whatever, for myself I'm fine with the Monkey X / Monkey name. The three headed dog logo looks quite intimidating to me while IMHO the little Monkey looked fun and welcoming... Maybe a little bit too fun, as if it was some kind of toy. But some time ago I'd been using the "Mungo" fork for a while whose mascot was something like a weasel and it didn't change much the way I coded, so why not going for Cerberus X or anything else... The point is Monkey I mean Cerberus is going to evolve and get updates, which is great!

Xaron

About renaming: A probable benefit could be better google results. Google for Monkey and you know what I mean. Google for Monkey Programming... oh well.  ;D

Ok, for now you won't get any results for Cerberus but that will change. I always had the impression that Monkey itself is a professional tool but the name was not. Whenever I've shown apps I've done with Monkey and even code itself, people were impressed by the language design and how light weight the results are. But when I mentioned the name the best I got was just smiling, you know that kind of smile to show sympathy.

Personally I think a name DOES matter. Many coders I've talked to don't take Monkey serious because of it's name alone. Then there was the old website as well, no good apps to show all that stuff.

I cannot promise that we will make that better but we will try. We already invested some money into it (website, hosting) and will invest quite some time into it (unpaid because it's free and will stay free). Why? Because we love that language and use it for own projects.

muruba

Monkey is cool but you cant really use its  name unless the copyright/trademark things are sorted out and its a dangerous territory now - who is paying for it?

Xaron

There are no copyright/trademark issues with Monkey as far as I know. But we go with Cerberus anyway. ;)

muruba

The thing is unless the names have been specifically released it is a grey territory - and in this case all the rights for monkey game development related things are still  with its owner even tho official recognition was not filed.

Xaron

The zlib license is pretty clear. Renaming is not an issue. The author has to stay the same of course and will be. Beside that you can do whatever you want to do with it. You could even sell binaries if you like. ;)

MikeHart

Quote from: muruba on June 21, 2017, 09:48:18
The thing is unless the names have been specifically released it is a grey territory - and in this case all the rights for monkey game development related things are still  with its owner even tho official recognition was not filed.

The license of Monkey X  (Zlib) is pretty clear on what is allowed and how it has to be done. Imho we took care of the license requirements. We don't use the name Monkey X (that is why we have a new name), we just fullfill the requirement to state where Cerberus X has his roots.

dawlane

I would have to check, but I think that Cerberus X is a model name of a PC case by Kimera Industries.

Xaron

It is indeed. But that's not an issue.

Rick Nasher

One could also opt for the Google translation of Monkey into Latin:

simia

Which according to the Urban dictionary also means:

1. The action of passing by someone you are deeply fond of without making any sign as to recognizing their existence.

2. The act of pretending not to know someone you've slept with/had intimate relations with the night before.
E.G: "Dude, just go simea. Pretend not to know her".

Which actually describes pretty much what Mark did with Blitz & Monkey... ;D