*$%GF(*$&U%& WINDOWS 10!!!!!!!

Started by iWasAdam, March 01, 2020, 12:12:35

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

I have a nice little surface that I just use for testing stuff out - it's not fast or anything, but does the business.

- Come to turn it on - BIG BATTERY ICON - nothing else - just the icon filling the screen
- connect power - still big battery icon
- wait
- try again - surface logo appears
- Restoring your previous version of windows
WTF!!!!!

I've now got a nice flat brick!

Windows 10 - why bother to make it work, we can now ship any crap, no one cares...

Derron

Only had a single computer having serious trouble with Windows 10. That computer had an volume licenced Windows 7 which I upgraded to Windows 10 (to have it activated properly).

This computer started then (somewhen) to have a "bluescreen" on cold boot. It automatically reboots and from then works. If you are a "power on + fetching some coffee" user you would not see it. If you never power off but only do "soft reboots" you do not see the issue too. Error code indicates some generic error - eg by some specific printer driver (not installed) or an update. After a big "cumulative update" it was gone just to reappear a week later. No clue what happens there but did not have the time for a proper reinstall there (computer in a different town).

Other computers here... seem to just work (with minor trouble - like cpu fans in laptops running faster or temperatures being higher requiring you to limit max cpu to ~95%).

Now say: why don't you just bring back your backup - you surely have one haven't you ? :D

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

it's a surface (all in one device) so no drives, no use accessible stuff. so if it goes wrong - you're stuffed!

I left it alone and it came alive after an hour!

TomToad

Surface, like most Windows 10 machines, do automatc updates.  Before it does an update, it backs itself up.  If on reboot, things don't go well, it restores the backup.  This can take quite a while.  You can also create a usb recovery drive to retore to factory settings should things go completely wrong.  If you did't create one before your drive was completely corrupted, you can create one using another computer.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023512/surface-creating-and-using-a-usb-recovery-drive
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.