OGRE on Python

Started by Pfaber11, February 11, 2020, 20:36:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfaber11

Was looking at 3d game options for Python and I was surprised to see Ogre-Python . Never heard of this before but one of the main things that I didn't like was the fact that to make 3d games for python you had to learn Panda3d . I'm currently using PureBasic and that uses Ogre for 3d stuff and I quite like it . I presume that Ogre-python works pretty much the same as the PB version . It maybe that Panda3d really isn't that bad but the examples I looked at made it look very unfriendly . Just thought I would put that out there for anybody using python who didn't know.
I can't believe I thought Panda3d was the only option . How thick am I. Has anybody on here tried Ogre python and if so what was it like ?
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Amanda Dearheart

I haven't tried Ogre-Python, but have you looked at Godot.  It uses a version of Python.
Prepare to be assimilated !  Resistance is futile!

Derron

Quote from: bsisko on February 12, 2020, 22:59:43
I haven't tried Ogre-Python, but have you looked at Godot.  It uses a version of Python.

I thought it uses GDScript (and Mono/... if you want).

bye
Ron

Pfaber11

I'm really not going to learn any more languages in the near future but am going to take a look at GODOT out of curiosity .
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .

Pfaber11

Yeah it says GDscript is similar to Python or you can use C++ or C# .
It also says it's completely free and the games you make with it belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them .

Amanda Dearheart

@Pfaber11

You honestly did not know about Godot? Does that mean you'll give it a chance?

@Derron

Yes, godot is calling its scripting language GDScript, but I consider it a dialect of Python.  Its like Americans speak English, but its a dialect inherited from Britain, or England.
Prepare to be assimilated !  Resistance is futile!

Pfaber11

Can't be doing with learning another computer language pleased with what I am using . But I am interested in different game engines and languages . I had heard of Godot but I didn't know it was free and was similar to python .  Anyway thanks for sharing  your info.

Pfaber11

@bsisko  . Do you use Godot and if so could you give it a small review . It's interesting to see what people think about different languages and engines good or bad . What's the documentation like etc. Is there an active forum . Have a nice day .