February 19, 2020, 02:18:45 AM

Author Topic: Computer language window shopping  (Read 163 times)

Offline Pfaber11

• Bonjour
    • FABERSGAMES
Computer language window shopping
« on: February 08, 2020, 07:30:42 PM »
I seem to find myself looking into computer languages on a regular basis. I have little to no interest in learning them , I just find them interesting . It's just out of curiosity to see if I can do better than what I'm currently using . I really have no intentions of jumping ship again as I seem to get on ok with what I'm using " PureBasic " . The grass is always greener I suppose . The only way I would get into another  one is if it offered something new that I wanted which I think is pretty unlikely . VR is the next thing I'll want to build for and AGK offers this however I think Fred is probably working on this as we speak or at least it should be on his mind . I have nothing against AGK but on my computer I was struggling to get 20 frames per second and I don't have this problem with PureBasic . I should imagine it would be 60 fps on say a 3 ghz machine but I'm running a 1.6 ghz dual core Celeron processor . It really is ok at 20fps as I designed my games to run at this but with what I'm doing now or at least my latest project I need a better fps and I'm getting that with PB . I guess if I was running a better computer it would not make any difference and both languages would run at 60 fps . If I wasn't using PB my next language of choice would be AGK studio and if and when I get a better laptop who knows I may revert back to AGK which is always being worked on and improved . PB doesn't cater for VR or Android but on the other hand is very fast and speed means a lot in the world of computer languages . To me anyway.  There is spider basic for Android from the PB people but it does not do 3d so is not even on the cards for me . I think VR is gonna be where it's at in a few years time and I would like to get on that bandwagon early but it's just too expensive right now . Has anybody on here used the AGK VR add on yet and if so what do you think ? Rant over .
Celeron N3060 1.6 ghz duel core  4 Gb ram 32 gig storage  HD400 Graphics 160 gig external hard drive....

Offline bsisko

Re: Computer language window shopping
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 07:19:17 AM »
" The grass is always greener "

I know how you feel.  I have the same opnion about the Xbox + PS4 situation.  I own both systems, and consider  myself a diehard Xbox fanboy, but I feel that the PS systems have the better exlusives.

As for languages, I am a C++ snobbish, and if that term offends anyone, I apologize, then I must admit that I am loyal to the C++ language.   However, I am in love with the Delphi language and am becoming infatuated with Python.  (because of Blender and Godot)  Nowadays I relegate BASIC for something I want to do quick and dirty, and only use Blitz3D, unless I am devloping games for old-school computers such as the C-64 and ZX Spectrum.
Prepare to be assimilated !  Resistance is futile!

Offline Pfaber11

• Bonjour
    • FABERSGAMES
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 12:06:58 PM »
I am a PureBasic snobbish love it just hope it's still around for a long time . What I prefer about Pure Basic over other modern basic languages that I've tried is it implements pretty much all of the Basic language with the odd exception. The 3d is nice to work with too . The worst basic I've tried and couldn't get on with was visual basic . I tried writing a game in it and it was awful ,probably I didn't know how to use it properly and there's nothing wrong with it but there we go . My second favorite language is AGK2  tier 1 and have completed quite a few projects using it . Very versatile and a pleasure to use . The only thing I really don't like about it is it doesn't seem to implement much of the basic language or it maybe I just couldn't find it and was reading the wrong documentation . Plenty of commands though to accomplish just about any thing . I'm between projects right now and trying to think of a new one to start . It'll be my second project with PB and can't wait to get stuck in . Maybe the way forward is to look at what other games are out there to give me a fresh outlook on what to do next . Maybe somebody could point out that AGK2 does indeed support most of Basic . I don't suppose it really matters as I've always been able to get the job done the way I wanted . Good Day.
Celeron N3060 1.6 ghz duel core  4 Gb ram 32 gig storage  HD400 Graphics 160 gig external hard drive....

Offline Steve Elliott

• elgol developer
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 05:00:22 PM »
Yes you said, stick with Pure BASIC then, write some games and be happy.  :)
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Catalina, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.2, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
C64, Raspberry pi 3

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 07:15:11 AM »
Yes you said, stick with Pure BASIC then, write some games and be happy.  :)
@Pfaber11 Yup I have to echo Steve's comment... Use whatever gives you the game coding buzz. It doesn't matter what the language is so long as YOU are enjoying it :)

Regarding Visual Basic, well that was never meant for games but if you are writing an app ( non game ) that integrates with the Microsoft ecosystem then VB / .NET is superb.
Until the next time...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal