Blitz3d does it compile to machine code?

Started by Pfaber11, February 05, 2020, 10:30:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfaber11

Well I have asked this question else where but I think this belongs here . What I would like to know is does Blitz3d compile to machine code or byte code or do something else ? I have googled it and have not found what I was looking for so have decided to ask the knowledgeable  people on here . It does seem pretty fast and I think it's probably faster than python .
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Pfaber11

Thanks for the reply Steve . I'm not planning on using it just wanted to know . Did use it briefly a couple of years ago before I got into AGK2 . Really didn't know much about it back then and wrote my first 2d pc game in it . It's very basic excuse the pun.
Did think it was pretty fast though prior to this I was into the Atari STe and BBC basic many years ago so was almost starting a fresh. Yes I knew a little basic on these machines but not much just enough to know what I was getting into. Really glad I took the leap and got into this . I did try learning visual basic express edition back in 2005 but found it horrible and didn't pursue it for very long . Nasty .  Have a nice day .   
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .

Pfaber11

What about Blitz basic on the Amiga did that compile to machine code too. If so I wish I had started my programming back then . I had STOS on the  Atari STe and it was fun but found it too slow for a commercial release . Mind you I never got the compiler for it so it might of been fast enough but there we go things were very tight money wise about this time . STOS was an excellent package though but I guess I will never know what it was truly like without having tried it with the compiler . I used to live in the back of beyond with no computer shops so would of had to travel a long way to get it . No internet back then . Anyway sorry for waffling on .

3DzForMe

I'd be surprised if the Amiga Blitz Basic 2.1 did not compile to machine code - turns out you could find out for yourself: (This is an updated version of Blitz 2.1 which was shipped on CD - its only a couple of months old!)

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=98664

I'm inclined to give this a go via WinUAE myself.....

{EDIt} Except... I tried it in Virtual Box - on Wikipedia apparently you cannot install GuestOS (which I assume gives you access to LHA files, or anything else on the host machine). Blitzbasic 2.1 is So two decades ago now anyway. Back to AGK Studio - which refuses to present the IDE at the mo, despite showing it in the task bar.

This looks like an option to run 2.1 on a Windows machine:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=97987
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Pfaber11

Wish I would of heard of Blitz basic back in the Amiga days if it did indeed compile to machine code . Could of been doing this for the last 25 years . Still no point in crying over spilt milk . I'm just gonna plough on with it and glad to be doing this now even though wasted over 20 years when I could of been an  expert by now .