December 04, 2020, 02:20:29 PM

Author Topic: Blitz3d does it compile to machine code?  (Read 779 times)

Offline Pfaber11

• Bonjour
    • FABERSGAMES
Blitz3d does it compile to machine code?
« on: February 05, 2020, 10:30:25 AM »
Well I have asked this question else where but I think this belongs here . What I would like to know is does Blitz3d compile to machine code or byte code or do something else ? I have googled it and have not found what I was looking for so have decided to ask the knowledgeable  people on here . It does seem pretty fast and I think it's probably faster than python .
Celeron N3060 1.6 ghz duel core  4 Gb ram 32 gig storage  HD400 Graphics 160 gig external hard drive....

Online Steve Elliott

• elgol 2021
Re: Blitz3d does it compile to machine code?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 10:43:35 AM »
Yes Blitz3D compiles to machine code.
Windows 10 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, Intel i5 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb)
MacOS Big Sur 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, Intel i5 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, Intel i5 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb)
Raspberry Pi 400, Pi4, C64, ZX Spectrum Next.

Offline Pfaber11

• Bonjour
    • FABERSGAMES
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 11:33:17 AM »
Thanks for the reply Steve . I'm not planning on using it just wanted to know . Did use it briefly a couple of years ago before I got into AGK2 . Really didn't know much about it back then and wrote my first 2d pc game in it . It's very basic excuse the pun.
Did think it was pretty fast though prior to this I was into the Atari STe and BBC basic many years ago so was almost starting a fresh. Yes I knew a little basic on these machines but not much just enough to know what I was getting into. Really glad I took the leap and got into this . I did try learning visual basic express edition back in 2005 but found it horrible and didn't pursue it for very long . Nasty .  Have a nice day .   
Celeron N3060 1.6 ghz duel core  4 Gb ram 32 gig storage  HD400 Graphics 160 gig external hard drive....

Offline Pfaber11

• Bonjour
    • FABERSGAMES
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 11:46:17 AM »
What about Blitz basic on the Amiga did that compile to machine code too. If so I wish I had started my programming back then . I had STOS on the  Atari STe and it was fun but found it too slow for a commercial release . Mind you I never got the compiler for it so it might of been fast enough but there we go things were very tight money wise about this time . STOS was an excellent package though but I guess I will never know what it was truly like without having tried it with the compiler . I used to live in the back of beyond with no computer shops so would of had to travel a long way to get it . No internet back then . Anyway sorry for waffling on .

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 05:16:19 AM »
I'd be surprised if the Amiga Blitz Basic 2.1 did not compile to machine code - turns out you could find out for yourself: (This is an updated version of Blitz 2.1 which was shipped on CD - its only a couple of months old!)

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=98664

I'm inclined to give this a go via WinUAE myself.....

{EDIt} Except... I tried it in Virtual Box - on Wikipedia apparently you cannot install GuestOS (which I assume gives you access to LHA files, or anything else on the host machine). Blitzbasic 2.1 is So two decades ago now anyway. Back to AGK Studio - which refuses to present the IDE at the mo, despite showing it in the task bar.

This looks like an option to run 2.1 on a Windows machine:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=97987

Offline Pfaber11

• Bonjour
    • FABERSGAMES
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 03:08:52 PM »
Wish I would of heard of Blitz basic back in the Amiga days if it did indeed compile to machine code . Could of been doing this for the last 25 years . Still no point in crying over spilt milk . I'm just gonna plough on with it and glad to be doing this now even though wasted over 20 years when I could of been an  expert by now .

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal