Blitz3d Game Won't Run

Started by Pfaber11, February 03, 2020, 20:37:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfaber11

The first game I wrote for the pc runs fine on my desktop but will not run properly on my laptop. I've tried all the different settings for resolution and screen fit . It's a bit of a shame as it was my first and plays perfectly well on my desktop. Both machines are running windows 10 and regularly updated . Had none of these problems with AGK or PB. Anybody heard of this before or knows of a fix ?.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

GrindalfGames

when you say it doesn't run properly. What exactly is happening? is it showing an error message? does the window open at all?

Pfaber11

Right I'll try and explain . The game starts but the score doesn't update but when the game is over it does tell you the score and high score correctly . What also happens is that as the game is playing it will sort of take a screen shot and the game still works but the graphics from the previous frame get stuck on the screen . As I say it plays fine on my desktop . Tried compatibility mode but doesn't help. I would of really liked to release this game it's simple but original and quite good fun to play if a little frantic . I might just rewrite it in PB but it would not really be the same . I could probably rewrite it in a few days or a week . Just seems very odd it doesn't like my laptop. My desktop has a 2 gig graphics card and my laptop has onboard graphics  Intel HD400 . Really wish I could try it on another laptop to see how it gets on . I'm sure most people would probably have a better laptop than me and it maybe the vast majority could play it with no problems . Thoughts anyone . I might just take the chance and release it anyway. Got my second game I wrote as well which was my first with AGK2 but I really can't release that as it's really terrible . And that's coming from me ! The game I'm working on now is coming along quite fast and I think it's gonna be pretty good when it's finished 3d first person shoot them all to hell sort of thing . My first PB game although I did write a few demos to get the hang of things so I know it's a very capable language . The demos included 2d and 3d basics . sorry for going on and off topic it's one fifteen in the morning . Time for a cup of tea . Bonjour.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .

Pfaber11

Well I've got it running better by running it in 640x480 . The score doesn't show up until the game is finished but it's ok so have published it to itch.io  . I should imagine it'll run fine on most computers anyway. My first pc game written in Blitz3D. Cool.

RemiD

it may be caused by a wrong use of buffers and flip()
or
by a loss of focus of the game windows because the mouse interacted with a windows gui element (=so the game window becomes not the top most window and therefore a part of the graphics window is not updated correctly).

for the first issue, learn to code properly... (search the forums, many code examples)

for the second issue :
description of the problem : http://mojolabs.nz/posts.php?topic=104741
solution : http://mojolabs.nz/codearcs.php?code=3212

GrindalfGames

My first thought was a buffer issue. I had something similar happen to me when incorrectly flipping through buffers. Running it in the editor may have protected you a little if you had the Debug mode enabled

Pfaber11

I think it's something to do with my laptop as it plays exactly as it should on my desktop. Not to worry anyway just wanted it up for sentimental reasons as  it was my first game for the pc . Can somebody tell me if Blitz3d programs compile to machine code . I presume they do but don't really know .

Pfaber11

Steve was able to answer my question as to whether Blitz3d compiles to machine code and it does. Thanks for reading .