Artwork (progress)

Started by Matty, June 16, 2017, 20:48:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty

Painting of some fantasy figures digitally.
Painting of myself as a late Christmas present for some family members - first time I've painted a self portrait with paints...acrylic on canvas. It's not centred - I stuffed that bit up quite a bit.

Matty

Here lies a man, in a hospital bed, being force fed television clips of sporting events, while being whipped by robotic brain in jar entities and pumped drugs by two circus performers striking mallets against a 'test your strength' syringe wired up to the patient's body.

Matty

Pastel painting of gym trainer

Derron

Just read that you can use the "Mac apps" for Windows too:
https://bundlehunt.com/?ap_id=macOS&campaign=2020NewmacOSBUNDLE

It contains
Rebelle: https://www.escapemotions.com/products/rebelle/index.php
and FirePainter: https://www.escapemotions.com/products/flamepainter/index.php

The first one looks pretty interesting (with stuff like "ArtRage" provided of some years ago).

The bundle costs 5,50 Eur or so ... and afterwards you can register the these both products at escapemotions and download the Windows version too. The products normally cost 90 or so.

Dunno if you are MacOnly or also are using a PC. Maybe it is of interest for you - if not, sorry for interruption.

@ pastell image
Leg proportions look good - assuming this thing behind her right leg is not her left leg - so what is she squeezing between her legs? elastic gym band?

bye
Ron

Matty

Those programs look really nice Derron.  Rebelle looks good. Haven't checked the other yet.

Matty

Another gym instructor.  I asked the staff as a whole if I could paint them.  This was painted immediately after.  The painting face is a little too wide versus its height.  But in natural light on canvas looks quite nice.

Matty

And a goblin wolf rider by an artist effectively on LSD or how they would imagine it....I wanted to do something colourful.

Qube

Woot woot! you've drawn the perfect picture of Dabz ;D

Quote from: Matty on February 29, 2020, 13:44:05
Another gym instructor.  I asked the staff as a whole if I could paint them.  This was painted immediately after.  The painting face is a little too wide versus its height.  But in natural light on canvas looks quite nice.

Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Matty

Thanks Qube.

I am enjoying the fun of pastels and their vibrant colours...here is a knight on horse in front of some mountains...lots of colour...

Matty

Qube

That's a cool showcase, nice one :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Matty

Thanks Qube.....

Here's an update on the pastel painting...done digitally...same style....

Matty

Matty

Good morning,

As you know I try and improve my art and love drawing fantasy images.

I came across a video this morning showing a technique digital fantasy artists use to paint characters and such.

It revealed something to me that made me a little disappointed and perhaps sighing a bit about what I consider 'cheating'.  Of course the resulting image is good.  But it just feels as if I had been and am still aiming to paint images one day like the below without having known the amount of 'copy and paste' that goes on.

See, the artist in the video has a decent sketch, much better than most of mine which is fine, but then they go and grab other images of the clothing and such and use filters and programs to manipulate these other images to fit their image which they paste over and shade and such.

In my mind it is cheating, though effective.

I had wanted to paint images both digitally and on canvas like the finished result simply by using simple pen and ink and brush tools.  I don't mind tracing too much either, but the method of cutting say armour from another image and pasting it over the body of the character just feels like....these artists true level of skill is not necessarily so many orders of magnitude better than mine afterall.

I suppose I believed that the artists painted every chain link and every stitch in cloth they drew or painted...and that is what....kind of makes it feel less impressive to me now.

There are artists who do paint every chain link etc.  These are artists who work with traditional media.  And they are amazing.  But...digital art allows for so many tricks of the trade that make things faster but give the illusion of the artist having so much more actual pen/brush skill than they necessarily have.

Anyway it is worth seeing the techniques they employ.  They are still great artists and great art.  It is a bit like finding out your heroes use performance enhancing tools that while not illegal certainly make their job so much easier.

https://youtu.be/T6zHy6R20KM

And one of mine from yesterday..

Derron

Hope they asked Jaimie Alexander for using her face.

BTW there are a lot of artists not doing this "copy paste" - albeit I confess that decent photoshop (or affinity or ... krita or ...) skills are still skills not everybody has.

bye
Ron