Artwork (progress)

Started by Matty, June 16, 2017, 20:48:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty

I think you misunderstand Derron.

I LOVE the imperfections.

Yes, I see them.  But....I love my own creations.

I could look at my paintings for ages.

Derron

When talking about imperfections I think it should still be looking anatomically correct.

So eyes can be a bit displaced or rotated. Ears can be dumbo-esque and ready to fly...

But your drawing either exposed wrong shading and missing color gradients to emphasize depth (arm going backwards) ... or it exposes incorrect anatomy. Exception is if the woman is disabled but I doubt it would handle the sword then.

Your last pictures catched some mimic/gesture of the people but this one is ... I better wait for your next paintings. Think you can do a lot better nowadays. Just pay attention when drawing: if this is a human being, can aarm/torso/...body part look like you just wanted to draw it? Can it bend that way without broken bones?

Regarding paintings in general: tried if you would enjoy refining your drawings with clear outlines and toon shading? I think it could help to see stuff differently ... maybe worth a try?

PS: feel free to create a thread for your compo game. Could post some ideas if you want.

Bye
Ron

RemiD

@Derron>>having a symetric face / body is quite rare (mines are not), do an experiment : take a photo of you face, from front, then try to copy/paste the half (left or right) and mirror it, you will see...
and ugly deformed people are more and more common in France, even their "animations" are weird ahahah  :)) (quite sad actually)
but lighting/shading, you can't cheat, it either look coherent/logical or not...

Derron

I am not talking about perfect symmetry ... but you will not see much people with the left side of the chest being 150% as wide as the right side.

Also it is rather rare that warriors with defunct arms (born disabled/crippled in some way) will become warriors. Also the position of the eyes (and their orientation on the face) defines the field of view. Sharpness and angles, ... all this stuff - here it affects "melee combat" as it slightly affects "depth recognition" - a horse would even cannot see stuff right in front of it. So it sums up that this female warrior here has a lot of anatomical disadvantages.

So yes: there are of course people with weird faces, deformed extremities ... but still physics exist meaning tiny hands and arms wont wield so big swords, they can't "manoevre" them as it is required.

Maybe this is what Matty wants to express: she is kind of disabled, punched by life itself from birth on - but with a will so strong she can overcam physical limitations and still become a warrior.

bye
Ron

Matty

Derron.  Did you improve Picassos work too? (Joke)

Derron

I am not a fan of Picasso - but am sure he would be able to draw "realistic" if he wanted to (checkout his earlier paintings - the blue/pink period).

Drawing "creatively" can be done when you are confident with your tools (pencil, brush, ... digitizer ... what you prefer).
So do not use "creativity" as excuse for being a bit sloppy when drawing the anatomy and shading. I am sure / I bet you can do better - if you focus a bit on the stuff you need to improve on. You've come a long way (comparing your pictures) but sometimes you fall back into your old habits.

bye
Ron

RemiD

it is rather rare that warriors with defunct arms (born disabled/crippled in some way) will become warriors
they already were warriors, according to you ( just trollin' ;) )

So it sums up that this female warrior here has a lot of anatomical disadvantages.
you can encounter similar weird faces on dating websites/apps :-X  , and they are most likely not warriors, so i agree

however you forgot one thing, halloween was only a few days ago, so maybe it is a costume ? :))

more seriously, when drawing humanoids or animals, usually you start to draw the basic shapes with lines and primitives, to have the appropriate proportions for each body part, and the correct perspective...

Matty

Sketch attached of staff person at gym I run at.

I'm happy with it.

Matty

Matty

Staff member at local cafe I go to...

Matty

Another staff member at a different cafe...

Pakz

One of my uncles is rather a master at pencil point drawings. Only doing dots to make a drawing.

I think you are stil improving!

Qube

QuoteAnother staff member at a different cafe...

I can see you're making good progress, nice one :) - The only thing I'd advise is to improve your structuring and proportions, unless this is the style you are going for?. Nice shading on the facial outlines.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

Yeah shading is something Matty improved on (even if some look like pillow shading - but as said, I like pillow shading so I wont blame that :D).
Albeit her nose looks a bit odd this time I think "nose drawing" also improved.

What is still missing is: hair drawing (he either does not enjoy it or is afraid - or just likes that "fuzzy sketch line"-look).

Proportions - as Qube mentioned already - are still a construction area in your skills Matty. I think RemiD already mentioned that others tend to outline proportions with basic shapes first (you surely know these ovals with lines over it to mark the center of a face etc). Sooner or later experienced painters can do this in their mind but as long as you fail here and there I think nobody would laugh at you for using this helpers as base of your drawings. Sketches can of course be done without - saves time and avoids the object being gone already while you still are drawing the chin area :D

@ teeth
Did you draw in the teeth later on?
The front teeth are visually the widest and then width degrades further the more "in the back" they are. No biggy if this is looking a bit odd in that area.
What looks odd is that "clear outline" there. The stroke is a bit "hard". Especially to the soft shading around this area it makes the teeth "stand out" as if they were forgotten or drawn in "afterwards". A bit of shading / less hard outlines would make them look more "belonging to the face".

I have a question questions: what do these staff members say about their portraits? Do they give feedback? Do they like them, are they surprised, do they look shocked but do not tell it to you ... ? How do you convince them to allow getting drawn?

bye
Ron

Matty

Thanks all...much appreciated comments.

Derron re your question about staff members.....

Sometimes they know I'm drawing them if I ask for a photo to use as reference.  So far there hasnt been an opportunity to show them.

Other times I pick a photo off the company webpage...so no, they are unaware. 

If I had actual real life friends....i'd paint them...but alas no friends (or even family beyond immediate) so I paint whatever people I come across in real life who I can also either take a picture of or find one online.