Artwork (progress)

Started by Matty, June 16, 2017, 20:48:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty

A short illustrated pdf story attached.

Derron

Some nice drawings between a pretty fun one: the one who seems to have shit in his pants (they have fallen down to his knees while he stands in front of a shelf) :-)

Seems you still prefer that "draw line over line until it suits the form you desire" with no clean line layer on top of it. Don't you trust your skill to draw a straight / non-jiggling line or do you prefer that "blurry" line style?

bye
Ron

Matty

Thanks Derron.

A bit of both actually.  I like the style of my drawings like that plus I am not confident of drawing a single line correctly.  I think I'd almost need a second sheet of paper to do so after drawing the first one.

But I haven't seen yet how it would look with single neat lines.

I enjoyed making this.

Funnily enough I can see a host of stories emerging from the pictures without using words based on my own life even including that picture you pointed out as part of the story.  It wasnt deliberate for his pants to be so low but it works in the story in my mind.

Derron

If you are not confident of single line drawings: try it out ;-)
And as said in some multiple posts weeks before: take your sketches / multiline drawings and scan them in. Then on your graphics tablet you could try to draw on new layers - maybe it still needs multiple lines but the contour will already become more defined, more clear. Then use another layer (and lower the opacity of the below layers a bit - or add a white + 50% opacity layer inbetween). Now contours are already more defined and the new line strokes will be even more precise (but they can still be corrected).

If you used the right drawing software then you migth even be able to move and alter each stroke afterwards or to trim lines crossing each other (you do not need to exactly draw to the corners and are able to use your full pen stroke flow) - might be of interest for you. It of course depends on the style you desire to reach with your drawings.

As always: you need to exercise - and to try new stuff during these excercises. Else you will improve in some parts but also keep some of your flaws alive for ever. You must leave your comfort zone (many strokes to allow "redefining" areas or to "hide mistakes").

Maybe try a different style? Toon, abstract, ... or draw stuff like certain animals (based on references) ?

bye
Ron

Matty

Yes you are right.

I know you tell me the same things time and again.  I do listen to them but...it's not an instant process to do what you suggest.

In any case, here's a painting from this morning..

Matty

Derron

Maybe submit some of your works :)

And Yes, I repeat this suggestions over and over - until I see you trying it (or reporting to have tried and failed so much that you do no longer want to talk about it ;)).

I think you have fantasy, you can imaginate stuff in your mind (I fail miserably when it comes to visualization in my mind - it just "flickers" in my inner eye and transmorphs into something else, faces melt into each other). This means you can imagine stuff and keep it while iterating over your painting steps.

Means you first sketch out something and then you add more and more details, draw finer lines and all this stuff. Use your digital knowledge to bring over the classical drawing you try to improve into the digital world allowing for stuff like moving parts of your image, to recolor easily without smudging, to set stuff semi transparent.
You have layers for free- without limiting the "paint material" (if you used artrage or so). Try to use water colors on foil to have "analog layers"...

Use the digital world to your advantage to improve - your skill to draw lines accurate or with a fresh "swing". I bet first steps look odd, not as good as you want, not as good as your analog drawn images ... this is because there is so much perfectly and stunning looking digital art (clean lines, smooth curves) but they are also digitally aided. Modern tools smooth out the curves you draw (in Krita you have to enable it - and it requires a bit of hardware power the smoother you want it).
Give it a try, fail one time, fail a second time - but sooner or later you will see that it improves or that you at least loose a bit of burdens when it comes to fix mistakes (move and pinch and scale and rotate) ...

Disadvantage is that you won't come into contact with physical material (the paint, the clothing sheet to clean your brushes, the smell of ethanol and all this things). If you do not enjoy that then the better - and if you enjoy it, hmm then maybe ignore what I said above or try to "learn" something from your digital products (better layout of your ideas, realignment of body parts to learn how it should look to not shock other viewers ;-) ...).

And do not let texts like mine demotivate you - I just want to avoid that you do not improve, that you stay at your skill level - there is so much potential in you. try to "free" it!

bye
Ron

Matty

Painting

Derron

Painting in a painting?

@ Qube
Is there a way to add some image tag thing which shows the attached image in the posting - so it uses the posting box' width. This way here I either have thi thumbnail or something which is too big to fit - and so I need to scroll. Only way around is to open the image in a new window then.

bye
Ron

Matty

Hi Derron..not quite...here's a smaller version of the two paintings done this morning and last night....

Matty

Pencil sketch drawn this morning.

Matty

Digital painting from photo reference online of a cosplayer.

Matty

Photo reference used of UFC fighter Megan Anderson after reading ABC article about her overcoming various challenges outside the ring.

Matty

Good Afternoon folks.

Today at a cafe I was sitting inside having my drink and breakfast and it was quiet. There was a woman behind my by herself doing some studies or something in a book.  I decided to ask her if I could take her photograph to paint a picture later in the day. She agreed and so I painted a picture of her just now.

It was a good thing to do and I'm glad I asked.

from Matt

See picture below.

RemiD

it looks really better without the (pencil) outlines, well done, only colors for base colors (of materials) and for lighting shading is the way to make it look good imo (same thing for textures...)