Artwork (progress)

Started by Matty, June 16, 2017, 20:48:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty

Derron

proportions look great.

But hey... only an upper alignment / row of teeth? ;-)

@ strokes
Seems you did that with your graphics tablet / digitizer - don't you enjoy a brush with soft edges / simulation of a "pencil"? . While face color choice is (pretty) nice I think the "shadow strokes" are a too harsh and the outline color of his blue shirt is hmm call it at least "odd".

bye
Ron

RemiD

@Matty>>you have definitely improved your drawing skills since the beginning, wether it is the proportions, the shapes considering the posture / perspective, or the coloring / lighting / shading. :)

Personally i use a small black pencil to draw the overall outlines of the shapes, then i create another layer where i use only colors for coloring and lighting / shading (like on your last drawings)...

Now, what is interesting is that you can reproduce this style of coloring and lighting / shading, inside a 3d engine like Blitz3d, by coloring your shapes with brushes (without textures), putting a few lights in the scene, setting an appropriate ambient light, and then letting the vertices lighting / shading do the coloring (for the lighting shading)
This also helps to understand how shapes are lighted / shaded...

3DzForMe

Looks really good, love the style and the proportions are great.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Matty

Thanks all of you.

Yes it is a massive improvement.  If you go over my 2016 art on my website and compare you can easily see.

2016 http://www.mattiesgames.com/art/

2017 http://www.mattiesgames.com/art/2017.html

2018 http://www.mattiesgames.com/art/02018.html

Matty

Sketched on morning of Melbourne cup day (public holiday for a horse race).

I sketched it with pencil first from a reference I liked the look of online, then I drew over my sketch with my Wacom tablet.

I'm enjoying drawing these - and it is very pleasing to see the improvement over the years.

If I'd tried to draw this two years ago it would have looked very wrong, but this looks much better - so practice does improve you!

Derron

There is still something wrong with her body - at least in my opinion:

Red and green is not "wrong" or "right".

But: the head you gave that female warrior is way too small for the chest. The neck is way too long. You could make her body less "big" and the neck shorter - or make her head bigger, more "barbarian"-esque.

Also you seem to have a favor for a certain secondary sexual characteristics (boobs, cleavages ...) ;-)

bye
Ron

Matty

Thanks Derron...yeah...I'm not perfect at this yet by no means...getting better with each one....just takes time and practice.

Two more:

Pencil and Wacom version.

Pakz

Starting to look more proffesional. Your art in your games wil probably start to get real good looking in a few years I reccon. Good art makes games more attractive!

Matty

Thank you Pakz. That's good to hear.

Matty

I'm thinking of doing some kind of computer card game...adventure style thing......

I've got a design fleshed out on my development log

Derron

You should avoid shading their chin and cheek area so hard. She looks more like a "cheaper than average" lady in a harbour pub :-)

@ card
Contrasts, line strengths, structure.

-> black thick outlines emphasize the elements they surround
-> white text on grayish background is harder to read (even with blurry-drop-shadow/glow)
-> name/job is the same style as description text
-> "Jessie Elwhe" in the top, "Jessie - Archer" as head of the description -- "Jessie" is a duplicated information

For card games a well designed "deck" is very important, so put energy into all the decorating stuff, make it look "integrated". To add your drawings in the background is then just a matter of playing with the adjustment layers for some minutes.

bye
Ron

Matty

Last night drew this picture before bed.

Derron

If you did not have any reference then facial expression is done preeeetty good!

Her head is a bit too long (hair part should be less "egg-y"). Almost looks as if her hair was a pointed helmet.
Her right upper arm seems to be broken (bends at a position where it never should bend ;-)).
Her left upper arm seems a bit short (should end around the height of the belly button).

Her dress seems to have a hard fight to hide the glory of her bustyness.

Is there a reason for the "harsh strokes" ? Why no soft brushes?

Keep going, way better than 1-2 years ago.

bye
Ron

Matty

Thanks Derron, all your feedback is good and helpful...I can't always get it right (in fact not at all so far) but as you say and I know - it is improving.

Here's one done this morning from a photo reference of a cosplayer I found online