Artwork (progress)

Started by Matty, June 16, 2017, 20:48:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

Sharpness.

If you do pictures of closeup there is nearly nothing more important than the right "focus" (read "sharpness").

While the yellow flower in the right center and the right side of the picture in general look crisp/sharp, the left side is blurred (nicely visible on the green parts of the plants in the left center of the image).

@ image / scenery
I would have tried to not picture the "ground" of the paveway/floor. It should only contain the images - any maybe their wrappings.

Did you do any photos with a different angle? You did a top view but maybe showing a bit more "depth" (tilting by 10° or so) would create a different look?

Without looking at exif data: done with smartphone (would explain the blurriness - I know my worse 40eur-smartphone camera :-)) or with classic digital SLR camera?

If you plan to post more photos, make a new thread if you like. Photos might attract others to join too (people who do not draw but have their phones with them to snapshot things).

bye
Ron

Derron

I think you shot this picture with a smartphone cam.

Just checked a picture I took the last days (while filling a container with some plants/bushes - a pity I forgot to shot the surface of the container, would have been a nice "rusty grunge"-texture): it is also more blurred on the outside of the manual placed focal point/focus.

Ok, maybe it got more blurried because I was working "a bit" before, so hands were not as calm as needed (taking it one-handed while trying not to fell into all the plant stuff ;-)).
BTW I dislike how much these small displays lie. Watching that image on a smartphone makes my brain think it is more crisp (fills the details) while on a big screen you see all the flaws. GRR

Now compare these to a 6Mpix digital camera (bought in 2004 or so):

(both taken during holidays in Croatia)

So this is why I asked with what device you shot the image.

bye
Ron

Matty

The only camera I own...my S4 Samsung Galaxy. .. thanks.  Your photos are good.  Maybe it is worth starting another thread where we can all link photos of a reasonable size for web display on here?

Derron

Maybe we just let @Qube split up these posts into a new thread - and as "first post"-user you are able to rename that new thread then.

@ S4
Samsung and the likes always have had better cameras than most "China phones". Mine is a Huawei "Play Mini" (kind of Europe-rebranded "Huawei 4C"). Phone is now 3 years or so into operation and I bought it in a sale (because of "inventury") for 40 bucks (while "Aldi" sold it for 130). Was a good buy (I bought all 3 they still had...for wife and buddy).

Most cheaper cameras need the flash light to do proper "focus" - except for sunny weathers. While a real camera flash creates way way overexposured images these tiny LED flashes of our phones will be barely visible during "shady daylight" pictures. Night shots are of course one of the most difficult things (they just do not look natural). Even with a 1.5m heigh fire I had trouble shooting pictures of the buddies sitting around. It is a real pitty - if you compare it to your eyes which can see pretty "sharp" in such lighting conditions.
Think as long as they insert so tiny sensors into the phones this wont change. Remember: bigger sensor - less light required.

Somewhere on my discs I also have some pictures of trees (barks) or wooden planks - if I pay attention I try to make such pictures to - somewhen in the future ;-) - use them during renders. So I do not have to rely on external media and their licences.
I prefer to take nature photos as there are no people on them disturbing the scenery - compared to making photos of buildings (which I should do instead - to be able to do proper background buildings for a rendered graphics variant of TVTower).

Nonetheless I think that creating "thought about in advance" photos helps also in your drawing skills. You learn on what to concentrate, what people focus on first etc.
But I am aware that we are surely doing sooooo much wrong and that talented/professional camera artists will run away as soon as they see the pictures we've done.

bye
Ron

Matty

I've been doing a bunch of graphics for my game for the competition...I thought I'd share some larger versions of the images:

Derron

If you intend to scale them down at the end: add simple highlights and shadows to them (check "knight on horse" image). Also add simple details (some stripes, ropes, ...). When scaling down all these "props" will add to the "make the brain imagine all the details"-effect.

Eg the "elder wise guy"-dude needs some details in his facial hair - to not look too "simple" - beards are strainy with varying grey... and so on

bye
Ron

Matty

Did this morning at breakfast - have the week off this week to relax and have a nice holiday so did a drawing.

Rick Nasher

Good to see you keep at it.
Btw: if you have a bit up to specs Samsung Galaxy S then there a free digital painting apps Art Canvas or for regular Android there's Autodesk Sketchbook so you can paint literally anywhere without carrying a lot of stuff around.

Matty

Been working on this one every now and then for a week....it's not right yet...the woman is too muscly, and a host of other problems but I like where it's going.

Matty

Matty

And some photos: (to be used as references later for drawings)

Matty

Matty

My neighbour and friend who lives over the road.

Pakz

I have been spending some time making graphics. Though on the laptop(touchpad) I have been getting a numb hand. I think it is the Carpal tunnel. I have this with playing video games also. Not with programming.

I have been trying to spend time creating a whole library of rpg graphics. Though I can not seem to keep going for long amounts of time. And this morning Korg released a new music app(less time again)

Matty

Nice swords. Very good.