Artwork (progress)

Started by Matty, June 16, 2017, 20:48:40

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

You eyes are starting to get much, much better :)

Derron

Regarding Reference photos:
https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/paintings-from-photos-in-books-or-field-guides-2573675

While you surely can paint for your own and keep it private you must make sure to be allowed to "publish" (post about it). Stuff could especially become ugly if the person you have drawn with a "just do it" attitude of that person... if this person does not like what you painted. You as painter have a ownership of the painting - the person rights to secure their being.
So the more they are "identifyable"/"recognizeable" and the more they do not like what they see (eg you twirled their eyes, draw some dirty teeth - even if they have some, ...) the more problems you can face.

Think most people you draw will not have problems, most people will not see the pictures and identify themself (the better you become, the easier it becomes to identify one). This is because you present it in a tiny tiny corner of the web - yet it _can_ result in issues. So better tell people if you "copy" their faces, not just using them as reference / idea spender.

@ eyes
Yes. But Matty needs to concentrate to not loose certain stuff he learned some paintings earlier. He had improved in "symmetry" and proportions but later he missed these things as he concentrated on other aspects.
People often do not see what is "very well done" - but rapidly identify what is done "poorly" or "not as good".

bye
Ron

Matty

Looks like a good book, thanks will have a read.

Derron

Quote from: GfK on November 17, 2019, 12:11:06
OK... I'm not going to blow smoke up your arse here - I'd be doing you a disservice if I did.  That's what everybody else seems to be doing and as such, you're just continuing with making the same mistakes.

Then you might have missed many of my postings in this thread.

The book you suggested ... I think I started to read until she wanted the reader to do the first excercise - did not have the time for it so stopped reading.
Right above my head I have a book I got from my parents maybe 25 years ago - Burne Hogarth's Zeichenschule ("drawing school"). Never finished that too - but you learn a lot of anatomy and possible "positions" of your extremities. Book contains lot of advanced drawings I never even tried to draw myself.

bye
Ron

Matty

Book seems good so far and gets good reviews.

As a little defense of my actual improvement I will show 8 images below of faces drawn from when I began in 2016 until now.  I may still make errors but you can see definite improvements below.

2016:

2017:

2018:

2019:

Matty

Reading the book that GfK suggested I got an idea that I'd forgotten about....drawing with the reference image being shown upside down.

It's a technique that forces you to draw what you see not what you think you see...

It's a very helpful technique.  Guiding rectangles and squares work as well, but this works even better to help assist get the image closer to the reference.

Interesting that a person can draw better by having to look at something upside down - ie change the way the brain works to draw....

Picture below (note low resolution because it is a cropped version of what I drew immediately before to colour it)

full image (uncoloured)

Matty

Using upside down technique again.....works better this way...

Matty

Canvas painting of UFC fighter Megan Anderson after reading ABC article (about her overcoming some challenges)

Matty

Derron

Are these all apples (and a banana of course :D). Or are these apples + dragon fruits?

Asking as the shapes of the left ones is oval/longish instead of roundish. Also the bowl itself is a bit squished (more than this perspective should do - of course not all bowls need to be round). I think I said it some time ago that your brain might distort what you see a bit - so that you actually drew what you saw that time.

Colorwise it looks nice and also the basic shading looks pretty spotted. A pity that the photo is a bit blurry - and the drawing itself of rather coarse/rough strokes (your name/sign shows how big brush was at least). Some like that - I prefer the "finer details"-images. so personal taste...

PS: Nice to see some object drawings instead of humans ... concentrate a bit on learning shape drawing - coloring and shading is on a higher skill level compared to your human anatomy drawing ability. Anatomy benefits from your basic drawing skills.

bye
Ron

Matty

Thanks Ron....

Painted this one as well ... before I read your comments...

Derron

what is the original size of them?

Are these nuns or knights? Colours look like nuns bit some seem to wear a shield - the shield of believing? :D

Sometimes it might be nice to drop 1-2 lines for your image: intention of drawing ("came to my mind", "wanted to try/learn ..."). Also you seem to hmm "rush through" the images. They contain the objects to capture the scene - but else it is more of a "placeholder" (blurry / unsharp background) which does not have much details.
Only detail catching my eyes - next to the nunny knights (:D) is that animal-esque thing on the right side of the picture: some fox-tailed thing which spread his back legs (dead?).

bye
Ron

Matty

Thanks again.

Fruit are apples bananas and mandarins.

Yes understand you prefer finer detail over larger brush that I use.  I am not yet skilled enough with the fine brush but then I also like the messier look. 

Nuns or knights?  Or...police? Or robed lecturers? I'll let the viewer decide.

I enjoy painting quite a bit.

Matty

Dragon and two captives painted on canvas.

Pencil drawing done on notepad yesterday and this morning. Then sketched on canvas board, finally painted with acrylics on canvas.

I was simply redrawing a digital painting I did in 2017 which was of my ex girlfriend facing off with a dragon.

I wanted to try painting a fantasy scene - I'm glad I bought the larger canvases, rather than the smaller ones I'd been using as it came out much better than I imagine it would have small.

I'm experimenting with trying different colours on objects - such as the dragon with its mix of various colours on its head for instance, to bring out the shapes and colours better.

Matty

Cabin in the woods, similar to where I stayed once with a romantic friend.