Eagle 1 Under Attack

Started by iWasAdam, January 12, 2020, 11:43:31

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

3DzForMe

I love the style of this, space 1999 will never die. Imagine an eagle with quadcopter motors for engines... That'd be cool.

I like the turret as well, cool!
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

iWasAdam

How about some animation?  :o

Xerra

Space 1999. Yes, yes and yes. Loved this show and keep meaning to give it another watch all the way through again.

Bonus points if you put some Blake's Seven in there as well. Liberator and Scorpio :-)
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Qube

Looks neat and love the art style ;D

What happened to you "Genus Prime" clone thing you were working on?
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

The animation looks awesome, and there's a blast from the past - Space 1999.

What happened to you "Genus Prime" clone thing you were working on?

Yes, there always seems to be a new project you're working on Adam, or maybe some are part of a bigger project?
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

yeah, it's sort of a bigger whole (or hole). I get so far and a wall appears and I need to find a way around the wall, which usually means me having to rewrite something and then do checks and write small programs, etc, etc

Here's a different view with a modified shader...

It's a color outline, but it also shows the detail of stuff - which is uber-low poly

Created by the 3d editor.
Which... got rewritten because it need the be 64 and not 32bit, which was needed to... and on it goes.

The eagle was a test to see about performance and also to see if a low-poly one was possible but keeping as much detail as possible. Here's a flat rendered version:

You can see it's a very simple model, just primitives really. But I needed to modify the 3d modeller to add/correct some features. The leg pods are the interesting bits:
They are an 8 sided primitive with 3 vertical sections. triangles were then removed and the vertexes fused together, then top and bottom triangles were added - it's the minimum amount of triangles, but very complex to produce.

3DzForMe

Inspiring work IWasAdam - your editor really shows of its capabilities with your Eagle - I have played with 'Wings' (many moons ago now) and dabbled
with Blender. None of my efforts come close to your Eagle - exceptional work! Seeing it animated, and then with it casting shadows on the environment - such attention to detail  :o ;D

iWasAdam

Thanks - I think this sorta shows my (then) theory about texturing isn't a bad concept: One bitmap for all textures for all models - you just need the right texture  8)

The texture used for the entire model is just 20k. I'll try to use the same texture for everything (maybe one more for surface stuff)

Seriously though, the (low poly) engine is where I was most pleased with the result:

You can see the actual parts and how the texture gives the bump-mapped look (it's all fake)

Each engine is just a simple 6 sides polygon with 19 vertical sections. these are scaled and positioned until they look right. Then I color the model and finally stamp the textures onto the color.

If you look at the engine girders - they are simple boxes, with alpha textures punching the holes - the shader rejects the alpha part and makes it look far more complex than it really is - the same is done with the main body girder and pod girders:

The main girder does use one sneaky trick: Because 3d will obscure whats behind/underneath it - you can't have hollow things.
So the girder is duplicated, then the face normals are flipped, so the shape is inside out (the inside is visible not the outside). When you put the two shapes together, you have a 3d shape that looks like is is cut out and shows the things behind it - creating that as a 2 sided shaped would be almost impossible

It's very smoke and mirrors, but it works and is a good tip - once you know it :)

iWasAdam

3DzForMe

Quote.    It's very smoke and mirrors, but it works and is a good tip - once you know it :)

I concur, it looks great!

Pfaber11

Yes that is awesome . You are an artist . How long does it take to make a model like that?
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

iWasAdam

hmmm, great question.
The 'landing pad' took about 2 hours and was redone (as I didn't save the correct file!)  :(

The eagle itself took about a day, but don't think of it as a single model. Think of it as a collection of parts:
first came the pods, then pod legs. The pods were the most difficult because they are and 8 side shape that looses triangles to become a 4 sided one (top and bottom) I needed to make adjustments to the 3d modeller to get it all working correctly.

The nose was actually very simple, it just a simple 16 sided primitive with about 12 sections. you just resize/scale each section until the shape is right and then cut the window parts.

Once you've got all the bits it like lego - you put them together and combine/merge/collapse the result