0.12.17 released

Started by chrisws, December 22, 2019, 06:37:34

Previous topic - Next topic

round157

Quote from: chrisws on February 07, 2020, 10:27:53
Quote from: round157 on February 05, 2020, 00:14:55
Today I have time to look into SmallBASIC and the default editor(sbasici.exe) again. An Export option is in the File menu. This option does not make an EXE file for the source code. How an EXE file be made? Thanks.
The export option is for running the program in android. Sorry there is no option to make an EXE.

Hi, thanks for answering me. One more question. Will a "Make EXE file" feature be in version 0.12.18? Developers will distribute their programs to users easily. 

johnno56

Hmm... An export function would be nice, but out of curiosity, what needs to be considered before an export function could be added to an IDE/Editor?
May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.

round157

Quote from: johnno56 on February 12, 2020, 03:41:28
what needs to be considered before an export function could be added to an IDE/Editor?

...oh, I don't  know.

round157

( From https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,7059.msg347040041.html#msg347040041 )

QuoteSmallBASIC is developed in C and graphics package is either SDL or FLTK with the one original developer still active after all these years, whereas a trio or more have picked up the ball with QB64 and continue to carry it forward into the future.

Both can still run original QB code, can VB do that? :) would we want it to? ;-))

The above post told me that QB64 and SmallBASIC were so similar. So good!! :) Today I looked into SmallBASIC again. I have a little suggestion for the next version of SmallBASIC: let users to develop full-screen mode programs. Thanks. I think that many users like this feature.

bplus

Quote from: round157 on February 22, 2020, 16:13:04
( From https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,7059.msg347040041.html#msg347040041 )

QuoteSmallBASIC is developed in C and graphics package is either SDL or FLTK with the one original developer still active after all these years, whereas a trio or more have picked up the ball with QB64 and continue to carry it forward into the future.

Both can still run original QB code, can VB do that? :) would we want it to? ;-))

The above post told me that QB64 and SmallBASIC were so similar. So good!! :) Today I looked into SmallBASIC again. I have a little suggestion for the next version of SmallBASIC: let users to develop full-screen mode programs. Thanks. I think that many users like this feature.

Another difference is that SmallBASIC is an interpreter. In past, whatever screen the interpreter was running (maximized or resized) that was it for the output screen. Chris has modified so output screen could be resized, from changelog 0.12.13 (13 Sept 2018)
QuoteAdded window.setSize function

OK found demo at old Retrobasic forum preserved by AllBasic forum and worked up a demo that works (at least in 0.12.13)

'test window resizing b+ 2020-02-22
print "xmax, ymax = "; xmax;", ";ymax
delay 2000
w = window()
w.setsize (800, 600)
cls
print "xmax, ymax = "; xmax;", ";ymax
? "Use F11 to return to Full Screen."
? "Actually F11 seems to toggle between Full Screen and .setsize"

1 person likes this

round157

Quote from: bplus on February 22, 2020, 17:16:00

Hello, thank you.

I have a question. The editor sbasicg.exe includes the intrepreter?

Another two questions. How does a developer distribute a finished program to an end user? Distribute the source code file with sbasicg.exe?

Some more questions. How can the end user run the finished program? Need to open the editor sbasicg.exe first? Then open the source code file? Then run the source code? Can the end user double-click an icon to run the finished program directly?

Aurel [banned]

QuoteI have a question. The editor sbasicg.exe includes the intrepreter?

Another two questions. How does a developer distribute a finished program to an end user? Distribute the source code file with sbasicg.exe?

Some more questions. How can the end user run the finished program? Need to open the editor sbasicg.exe first? Then open the source code file? Then run the source code? Can the end user double-click an icon to run the finished program directly?

wow,wow,,,wow
to much questions you ask,,,heh eh
In fact both of them are interpreters with one difference.
Qb64 compile into bytecode and then is this bytecode binded or added to qb64 runtime interpreter which form
one exe file as standalone, so looks like is compiled into machine code.
smallbasic cannot create exe on similar way,why i don't know ..maybe bacause sbasicg is in one editor+interpreter
and probably interpret code directly in memory...i don't have better explanation and i don't know why
Chris not add bind option,maybe because is used on linux or something like that.
Even my old tiny interpreter(AurelBasic) can bind source to runtime exe and produce standalone version.
So you must wait for Chris reply...
(Y)

round157

Quote from: Aurel on February 23, 2020, 11:32:31
wow,wow,,,wow
to much questions you ask,,,heh eh
In fact both of them are interpreters with one difference.
Qb64 compile into bytecode and then is this bytecode binded or added to qb64 runtime interpreter which form
smallbasic cannot create exe on similar way,why i don't know ..maybe bacause sbasicg is in one editor+interpreter
and probably interpret code directly in memory...i don't have better explanation and i don't know why
Chris not add bind option,maybe because is used on linux or something like that.
Even my old tiny interpreter(AurelBasic) can bind source to runtime exe and produce standalone version.
So you must wait for Chris reply...

You have answered some questions. Thanks!!!

Aurel [banned]

Not some than all...

QuoteSome more questions. How can the end user run the finished program? Need to open the editor sbasicg.exe first? Then open the source code file? Then run the source code? Can the end user double-click an icon to run the finished program directly?

round
as far as i remeber you already asked for that
or i have a wrong?
(Y)

Aurel [banned]

By the way i have program i made for AurelBasic which is nothing else than binder i can modify it to bind
(read add) source file to the end of sbasicg.exe and produce one exe.
But i don't know is sbasicg.exe can do autorun of binded file.??
(Y)

bplus

QuoteHello, thank you.

I have a question. The editor sbasicg.exe includes the intrepreter?

Yes both editor and interpreter. As a matter of fact, SmallBASIC has in it's code library Tiny Basic that is editor and interpreter both run as a .bas program through SmallBASIC = interpreter interpreted! Tiny Basic is like old GW Basic with line numbers and line editor.

QuoteSome more questions. How can the end user run the finished program? Need to open the editor sbasicg.exe first? Then open the source code file? Then run the source code? Can the end user double-click an icon to run the finished program directly?

Yes, disadvantage you need SmallBASIC, advantage you can have any number of small bas files your folders size's  will be a fraction the size of exe's for every bas source.

But there is another way to run .bas files through SmallBASIC and that is to setup with your OS st a click on any .bas file, from File Explorer say, will run the .bas through SmallBASIC OR it will open that file in SmallBASIC editor from which it could be run depending how you have SmallBASIC set, but if you have more than one Basic that won't work so well.
1 person likes this

bplus

QuoteIn fact both of them are interpreters with one difference.
smallbasic cannot create exe on similar way,why i don't know ..maybe ba

I think this is incorrect, QB64 has no Runtime file appending source to the end to form an exe. It is complied through C++ before it can run even once ie code executed. You might be thinking of Just Basic or SdlBasic. I will check at QB64 forum.

Update: STxAxTIC puts it like this:

QB64 = BASIC + _GL => C++

https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php?topic=2225.msg114648#msg114648

1 person likes this

Aurel [banned]

QuoteBut there is another way to run .bas files through SmallBASIC and that is to setup with your OS st a click on any .bas file, from File Explorer say, will run the .bas through SmallBASIC OR it will open that file in SmallBASIC editor from which it could be run depending how you have SmallBASIC set, but if you have more than one Basic that won't work so well.

Mark..that is the silly and not good idea at all
(Y)

bplus

Quote from: Aurel on February 23, 2020, 15:55:08
QuoteBut there is another way to run .bas files through SmallBASIC and that is to setup with your OS st a click on any .bas file, from File Explorer say, will run the .bas through SmallBASIC OR it will open that file in SmallBASIC editor from which it could be run depending how you have SmallBASIC set, but if you have more than one Basic that won't work so well.

Mark..that is the silly and not good idea at all

Well sure, for you whom I'm certain has more than one Basic. What is it, more or less than a dozen?

In fact I used SmallBASIC as my default exe for any .bas file click for a couple years before switching it to QB64.exe and I have had probably at least a half dozen Basic's at one time.

Not silly very handy in fact (for me anyway).
1 person likes this

Aurel [banned]

STATIC
ha ha ..give me break..
what he know ..only to babeling about useless mathematical program which nobody needs.
:D
(Y)