Ooops
October 01, 2020, 10:28:45 PM

Author Topic: Christmas Project - Streaming Terrain Editor  (Read 1693 times)

Offline 3DzForMe

Re: Christmas Project - Streaming Terrain Editor
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 05:11:26 AM »
  However today after only 10 minutes I got the shader working and it's like a little ray of sunshine which has totally transformed my outlook on the project again. It's good to have a win now and again. It also makes me happy that I can pull together all those little experiments I have been coding for years and make use of them in one project. No code is ever wasted in the long run. 

Great stuff, my project has been kinda on hold for a bit - real life stuff getting in the way ;)  I do love the way AGK renders heightmaps though ;)

Offline Kronos

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2020, 10:03:25 PM »
Added shadows and water. I am using a variation of the water code Janbo posted on the AGK forums, which I think he sourced from ThinMatrix. Well worth watching his video series on Youtube  btw.

Halfway through the video I noticed that i had lost my selection lines but was able to fix afterwards. This is starting to look not half bad ;D Except for those damn tile edge normals!!

Not sure I am going to stick with the AGK skybox as it is a bit shonky. Doesn't stay in the correct position when camera goes high.

Also just figured out how to anchor my form elements so in next video screens should be much bigger. Enjoy.

Edit: Eureka fixed those normals \o/

Offline Kronos

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2020, 01:12:47 AM »
Taking a break from the terrain editor which has stalled a bit as I am having problems figuring out how best to load models, and have been experimenting with some simple procedural terrain generation.

I create a 2d map using various rules which holds the terrain types(this was probably the most fun bit to do) From this I generate a heightmap and a splat texture and then use these to generate the map in 3d. I am using a texture atlas to hold 16 terrain textures and a a second texture to hold 16 splatmaps. Just using place holder models and low res textures at the moment. Been trying to follow the advice from various forums about dealing with the edges lines that appear on the textures but so far not working.

The idea is that eventually I should be able to seed structures, entities and then quests on the map.

The map creator is written using appgamekit and the 3d stuff is written in python, as I wanted to see what the language is like but still uses appgamekit as the 3d engine.

Offline Kronos

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2020, 05:02:16 PM »
I have been doing some work on steering behaviours today. Quite relaxing watching the tanks milling around. They are still a bit twitchy but for the first time I kinda understand how they are supposed to work.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal