Asthenia[cinematic platformer] BLITZ3D

Started by MrmediamanX, December 16, 2019, 08:11:52

Previous topic - Next topic

MrmediamanX

;----------------------------------;
Asthenia is an abstract atmospheric short cinematic platformer written in blitz3d for PC.
plays similar to games like another world/out of this world,prince of persia and flashback.
CONTROLS:
LEFT/RIGHT = MOVE
DOWN = DUCK
UP = JUMP_UP
Z = ACTION
LEFT/RIGHT+Z = RUN
WHILE RUNNING - UP = LONG JUMP
DOWN+Z=ROLL

ITCHIO LINK:
https://mrmediamanx.itch.io/asthenia

[edit] just done a few tweaks,minor fixes ... the usual, now [version 0.1] with fullscreen and windowed exes
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

Matty

Amon

MrmediamanX

thanks dudes, I know what game genre I won't be doing in a long while ... making cinematic platformers no matter how short is tedious.

iWasAdam

interesting - it look great.
Could you elaborate on what you found tedius and what you think would help that situation?

MrmediamanX

Quote from: iWasAdam on December 16, 2019, 10:24:50
interesting - it look great.
Could you elaborate on what you found tedius and what you think would help that situation?

The amount of animations required is a tad annoying, considering there are a lot of intros/outros/stall frames/dismounts and such to deal with. I had to scrap a lot of unused animations such as diving into water,5 death animations,2 types of kicks,a curb stomp,freestyle swimming when at the surface of water,lifting,3 idles .... etc 
every section generally has to be somewhat of a navigation puzzle and if something craps out it has to be reiterated upon or rebuilt due to the characters motion and movement. A perfect example Is if a long jump section where the character needs to grab the ledge is X amount "pixels" to far then making it will never happen, every screen needs something in it, be it motion/action/interactive or something nice to look at,then there's the cutscenes.
I had to make a lot of cuts there to....sigh :( 

For the most part ease of development would generally come down to planning and tools, due the game having no plan and the tools not of the greatest functionality I'm surprised I managed to get any where with this.

In the end I'm glad I gave it a try, It was worth the learning experience. :D

GaborD

Looks fantastic! Very nice mood and style.
It shows that you have put a ton of effort and care into it.
I like that it seems to be more about navigation and exploring the world than just twitch based action.
Only nitpick I have is the moonwalking/moongrappling. The anim speeds don't always match the movement speed (running seems spot on, just walking and grappling seem to have the issue). But that's really just a tiny nitpick.

Steve Elliott

That looks very impressive - well done.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Naughty Alien

..very nice and interesting atmoshpere...what is a story behind game ?

MrmediamanX

Quote from: Naughty Alien on December 17, 2019, 04:49:24
..very nice and interesting atmoshpere...what is a story behind game ?

props guys, the narrative behind the game is about coming out a coma, or not depending on the ending.
first 4 levels are a substruct of the mind with abit of metaphors throw in.