Pointless question

Started by JBR, November 30, 2019, 00:49:34

Previous topic - Next topic

JBR

ok if there is a spaceman with an infinite supply of Heinz beans and he farts continuously, causing him to thrust forward through space he will eventually reach the speed of light - or very near to it.

My question is a bit like numbers - they are infinite - you can always add one. So why are we restricted to the speed of light.

(Would like to point out other brands are available but may take longer to reach the speed of light)

Jim

Coder Apprentice

;D

Matty

The question of 'why' is an interesting one.

There are physical constants, such as the speed of light, that form the basis of our understanding of the rules that describe what we see occur in the universe.

If you are asking if the speed of light is the maximum, then experimentation backs up the theoretical idea that it is.

If you are asking why the value of the speed of light is 300,000,000 metres per second and not another number-only the author of this particular universe can answer that.   And...if there be no author then the question truly is pointless.

Edit....hmm did the original question change?

Xerra

I think the answer is unequivocally no. The poor sap would be dead long before he could ever get that kind of speed. Either from running out of air, the pong in an enclosed space suit or just simply old age.

I'm also not sure how he could be using his, erm, creative acceleration method when he's in a sealed suit. All he's going to do is make the suit expand a little and not actually accelerate.

Yeah, I know. I'm giving the annoyingly obvious points that we're supposed to be ignoring for this kind of question :)
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Henri

Why the speed limit ?

Because of E = MC2. C is the same as speed of light. If the C would be infinite then it would require infinite amount of energy to create mass. So, for our universe to exist C must be finite.

Why is the C same as speed of light ?

C is the speed of electro-magnet wave as is light also, and carries no mass. Hence, have no restrictions and goes maximum speed. This is measured to be  at ~300 000 km/h.

Can the farting spaceman go at the speed of light ?

No. Because the spaceman has mass, and faster it moves through space the more heavier it becomes. To reach the speed of light, the required energy would need to be infinite.

-Henri
- Got 01100011 problems, but the bit ain't 00000001

Dan

deleted
65536 GOTO Back2Basic

RemiD

an other view :

firstly :
there is no "speed of light", there is an average speed of electromagnetic waves propagation, which is not a constant, it depends on the environment (some materials can slow down or absorb them, see the works of georges lakhovsky)

secondly :
in the ancient world, the medium by which the electromagnetic waves (like light) propagate was perceived as being made of some "stuff" (ether), and therefore has a "resistance" (like air has a "resistance" for sound waves, like water has a "resistance" for liquid waves, like earth (or dense matter) has a "resistance" for shock waves), so it would gradually attenuate because of that...

thirdly :
there are most likely "waves" which can travel faster than electromagnic waves, and these are thought/mental waves, however since it can not be measured (except by 4 guys (afaik) who claim to have done it, but who have been quite obscure about it), for now we are stuck at electromagnetic waves speed.

whatever the case may be, since your spaceman has a human body and he does not want to die, he won't manage to travel at such speeds anyway...

Phil7

Speed is not harmful in Space if you are not hitting anything. If we look at what speed we are moving around the sun or the center of our galaxy at the moment, we are still pretty relaxed.
To me the question seemed to be about the contradiction of different perspektives. Speed of light is constant doestn't say light has allways the same speed. It means, that light in vacuum is at the same speed no matter if you are running away from it or if the source of light is moving in your direction. If you were holding a speedometer for light it would allways show the same number. Speed is defined as the quotient of length and time. From there it gets spooky because, if the quotient is constant it implicates that if you measure a different timespan the length of space is changing and vice versa.
To come back to your man(A) in space you have different different results, depending from where you watch the scene. If you(B) are flying next to him both at the same speed nearly the speed of light, he can get ahead of you with another boost just as he would if you were both standing still and he was just starting.
But if someone(C) was staying where he(A) started and just watching him fly by, he would see you both(A and B) at the same speed, completely shrinked in the direction of the movement and the guy(A) not really getting away from you(B), despite him using all his bean power.

Virtual Nomad

QuoteSo why are we restricted to the speed of light. (sic)
i say we are not.

assuming the beans, the spaceman, and his spoon survive such speed, we can also assume his headlamp will no longer be of use as it fails to emit at said speed, rendering said spaceman unable find the next can.

that said, we can also assume that not all previously-consumed fuel has achieved combustion which will, in time, provide propulsion necessary to surpass said boundary.

i am hesitant to provide such knowledge as my "introduction" post to this fine forum, but, as some of you may know, my knowledge of the infinite is vast.

GrindalfGames

Ive not measured the speed of farts(but im sure people will look that up now) but surely once you accelerate to that speed the fart is no longer providing push.

johnno56

Oh. Here is an equally pointless question. Let's assume that the "Speed of light" is limited to approximately 299792458 metres/second and the speed can be artificially achieved and sufficient energy could be produced to propel a mass to said speed... Using logic, computer or calculator, can someone tell me if you can figure out the speed of dark? lol
May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.

JBR

To reach the speed of dark would require Brussels sprouts as they have a higher wind to weight ratio. ;D

Santiago

i think the power of farts don't allow to have infinite speed.

I think the power of the fart would be too low to achieve continuous acceleration and not limited to achieve such speed.

I suppose that some particles, star dust, other farts, clouds of micro particles would stop the subject.

Even so, I think that the fact that you can't beat the speed of light is fake, just a theory.

Another thing I think, is that once I achieve all that speed, I would have to have the same amount of supplies to stop, eating the same amount but looking to the opposite side.

Amon

*****NEWS JUST IN*****
SpaceX to launch the new Heinz Biriani Drive.

Fastest, methane based farting drive that has ever existed. 0 to C in a jiffy bag with no Klingons on the starboard bow.

JBR