just found this

Started by iWasAdam, November 25, 2019, 08:08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

was going through my folders and running some code and this popped up:

it's the 3d tile editor that was used in "blood crypt" and "inferno"
What's interesting is it works and compiles (MacOS mojave killed it), so I now have my own (older custom written) 3d render system to fall back to and see how I did things. Hopefully I can use some of the findings to solve a couple of the sprite issues I'm having with the new 3d render :)

It's using a few more resources, but boy it really shows

Dabz

Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

chalky

What amazes me about your stuff is not only the standard of game prototypes you come up with (in all genres) - but the fact you write all the freakin' editors from scratch as well! When exactly *do* you sleep?!  :o

iWasAdam

hehehehe Thanks for the prototype thoughts  8)

As for the editors, etc. My answer here is to have an idea/goal and a thought on how to get there.
Think of everything like lego. each thing is just one little block. and you can put together the little blocks to make bigger things.

So you will first need a gui system - I wrote my own because I had a very specific set of things I wanted to do. Once you have that you need a basic window system to plug them into. That probably need some from of character (bitmap) font. so you need a way to edit the font... once you have a font system you can build a tile system that eats the fonts.

using the same basic principle you can build a 3d editor. but what about texturing? Unwrapping and texturing is just so tedious, and having all those multiple textures for models will drag a game down - why not use the character font system you previously created - and just apply the characters as textures and then reuse the same font for all the textures on all models? Now you have only one texture and no overheads with texture space...

so... Taking the image above. There is only one simple texture being used for all the models! The UI is really just reusing all the gui bits |I already had lying around

And on it goes. this block begats that block...