editor

Started by round157, November 19, 2019, 23:35:51

Previous topic - Next topic

round157

I downloaded the version 0.12.14. The editor is very special. I also downloaded several old versions. An old version is with an ordinary editor. This ordinary editor may be better. I am curious. Why abandoned the ordinary editor and used the current editor? Thanks. 
https://sourceforge.net/projects/smallbasic/files/Windows/

chrisws

Quote from: round157 on November 19, 2019, 23:35:51
I downloaded the version 0.12.14. The editor is very special. I also downloaded several old versions. An old version is with an ordinary editor. This ordinary editor may be better. I am curious. Why abandoned the ordinary editor and used the current editor? Thanks. 
https://sourceforge.net/projects/smallbasic/files/Windows/

The old version was based on the FLTK 2.0 library which was abandoned long ago, so it kind of went dormant.  But I recently started porting the code to work with the newer FLTK 1.4 https://github.com/fltk/fltk I haven't released a windows build for this yet by plan to do so maybe before the end of the year. FLTK version numbers are funny, there's also an abandoned 3.0 branch lol.

Other than being "special", the new editor has some 'special' features like live editing and a rudimentary step-thru debugger. In the live editing, you hit CTRL+S to save and the live window display your changes automatically.

round157

Quote from: chrisws on November 21, 2019, 09:03:31

Other than being "special", the new editor has some 'special' features like live editing and a rudimentary step-thru debugger. In the live editing, you hit CTRL+S to save and the live window display your changes automatically.

I see. Thanks. The feature looks nice.

The SmallBASIC's editor makes me remember the editor of QB64. The QB64's editor is also special:

The texts can be seen. The default colors are ugly but the colours can be changed in the configuration menu.

The following screenshot was captured by me(I used sbasicg.exe). Since the background and the texts are also dark, it is not too easy for me to read the texts. If the colors of the texts are brighter colors or can be changed, users may like this editor very much.

Aurel [banned]

For anyone who wish to try this small and quick( and not exactly complete) code editor for SmallBasic.
Just unpack zip content into SmallBasic folder and run SmallBasicEdit.exe.
It uses scintilla edit control.
(Y)

round157

Quote from: Aurel on November 24, 2019, 18:54:58
For anyone who wish to try this small and quick( and not exactly complete) code editor for SmallBasic.
It uses scintilla edit control.

I am downloading it. Thank you.

Aurel [banned]

Just to let you know , it is one of first versions of AurelEdit i do quick mod that can work with
SmallBasic interpreter.
You may find it clumsey but work.
After you unpack it and run SmallbasicEdit.exe just click new or open toolbar button.
When you need to copy code from forum ,before that you must have open New Tab
then just paste code from forum to editor by right-click on scintilla control(edit area)
then click Compile button and if all is ok program should be executed.
(Y)

round157

Quote from: Aurel on November 25, 2019, 16:30:30
Just to let you know , it is one of first versions of AurelEdit i do quick mod that can work with
SmallBasic interpreter.
You may find it clumsey but work.
After you unpack it and run SmallbasicEdit.exe just click new or open toolbar button.
When you need to copy code from forum ,before that you must have open New Tab
then just paste code from forum to editor by right-click on scintilla control(edit area)
then click Compile button and if all is ok program should be executed.

Thanks. The above instructions are detailed.

I have a question. Your previous post,

"For anyone who wish to try this small and quick( and not exactly complete) code editor for SmallBasic.
It uses scintilla edit control."

I am curious,

"this small and quick( and not exactly complete) code editor"

Why did you say "not exactly complete"? Is this editor not a finished editor? 

Aurel [banned]

I mean in first place feature less just have open,save , run
of course if you modify code and then click RUN changes are saved and executed.
Nice thing should be yes/cancel/no

By the way ,how work ?
(Y)

bplus

Aurel,

I forgot, can you indent and comment blocks of code?

I use Notepad++ for extra curricular coding but haven't managed comment blocks.
1 person likes this

round157

Quote from: bplus on November 26, 2019, 21:04:07
Aurel,

I forgot, can you indent and comment blocks of code?

Hello, you mean SBEdit.zip? auto-indent? Looks impossible. ??? Can you download and test SBEdit.zip? SBEdit.zip actually does not work too well. Thanks.  :'(

round157

Quote from: Aurel on November 26, 2019, 13:03:31
By the way ,how work ?

Sorry, not okay.

There are three files inside the zip file. I place the three files in the SmallBASIC folder(the name is SmallBASIC 0_12_14). SmallBasicEdit.exe can be opened. Then I open one source code file. The source code file can be opened. Then I press "Run" button. However, nothing is run.

bplus

Yeah, strange as it may be, Run does not work but compile does.
1 person likes this

Aurel [banned]

Yes i already say that ..use button Compile and must work
so ..do you try?
(Y)

bplus

Quote from: Aurel on November 27, 2019, 19:02:48
Yes i already say that ..use button Compile and must work
so ..do you try?

Yes, lost a file I shouldn't have tested on, I really want access to Help when I code, syntax checking with OPTION _EXPLICIT is all the better! Commenting and un-commenting blocks of code even better still. All this I have accepted over having a regular file dialog with QB64.
1 person likes this

round157

Quote from: Aurel on November 27, 2019, 19:02:48
..use button Compile and must work

Hi....., if press 'Compile' button in your editor, the SmallBASIC editor(sbasicg.exe) will open with that source code file. Then I press the right button of the mouse. Then the menu appears. Then select 'Run' in the menu. Then the source code will be run.

I have one question. Now the source code cannot be run directly after I press 'Compile' button in your editor. Is it impossible?   sbasicg.exe is required to open first?