Blender - transparency?

Started by therevills, November 17, 2019, 01:26:25

Previous topic - Next topic

therevills

I've imported a model which was in obj format into blender and it came with a bunch of textures which I am in the process of adding to the model, but I cant work out how to get the transparency correct for a few parts of the model.

One of the images is called Brunhilda_opasity.png which looks like it has the mask for the feathers section I am trying to set as transparent.

The object is just one model in the scene collection.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Steve

blinkok

Some models have different slot for things like light maps etc
In your texture area you might find an opacity or transparency layer

therevills

I cant any opacity or transparency layers :(

Although I have been playing and researching, I have now added a transparent shader along with a mix shader, joined them together with the principal BSDF... when I apply the blend mode of Alpha Blend, the feather(?) looks better... but the model goes inverted alpha or something...  ???

therevills

Got it  :D

I had to use "Alpha Clip" for some reason... (all the online refs said to use Alpha Blend)

Derron

uhm... what Blender version do you use?

That option looks like "evee"? For evee materials need different setups than the traditional "blender internal" (might be gone in the newest Blender versions) or "blender cycles" renderer.

Normally a texture in Blender (Internal) can have "alpha" already. Mix Shader and Transparency are useful for Cycles - so you already found that out already.

So if you want to render out the model as image then set Blender to use Cycles - Evee has surely not all render features already.

If someone else is searching for ways to setup this stuff:

Transparency for Cycles:
[youtube width=600]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2bqqnEgudA[/youtube]

(additionally) Transparency for Evee:
[youtube width=600]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03isI0_FGLU[/youtube]
(Grant Abbitt has a _lot_ of useful tutorials for Blender ... just in case one is interested :D)

I personally did not use Evee yet - my rig is too ancient I think...

bye
Ron

therevills

I'm using Blender 2.8 and yes I'm using "eevee". I found those same YouTube tutorials :)