Monkey X2 Dead?

Started by Hotshot, November 15, 2019, 23:31:39

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeHart

Quote from: Pakz on November 17, 2019, 15:29:20
I sometimes stil use monkeyX. Stil the original one though. But prefer Monkey2 for it seems to be just that little bit better in the language and has 3d.

CerberusX I installed yesterday again. Though I gave up when I had to install a visual studio sdk for the desktop target to compile(monkey2 is all set up and works with visual studio so I am not touching that at the moment) and random example code included for cerberusx would not work with the html5 target. Not sure about what is up with that?

Hi Pakz, which example on what system, browser? Please run it in Debug mode so you can post the error message.

Dabz

I'm really not sure why I stuck with Blitz Research stuff for as long as I did.

Cos your a stubborn auld sod... A bit like myself! :P

Personally, I just want to crack on with what I'm doing, with a bit of long-term security.

Well, it is your bread and butter, so you'd naturally want that, and why many people left the 'Blitz' community even before he dissolved it, Max3D was the the start of the end game if you asked me, as soon as he made that open-source, that was it. A couple of brave souls took the job on in trying to make something of it, yet, they naturally got bored, and, moved along themselves.

Brucey has done an amazing job with NG though in keeping BM alive, that man has the work ethic of a pack horse and the patience of a Saint... I'd of give up eons ago, but he keeps marching... I dont know how he does it! :D lol

Anyway, yeah, it's good to see Unity working for you, how is your desert strike type game going anyway? Hope you havent give it up, that's still one game I'd love to see finished! ;)

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

3DzForMe

Desert Strikes coming along nicely,

Quote.....as long as I did.

I mean... BlitzBasic to Blitz3D - fine, it had added 3D.  Very different ballgame.  I totally get it.
BlitzBasic/Blitz3D to Blitzplus - weird side-step.
Blitz3D/Blitzplus to BlitzMax - again, I guess that's understandable - OO languages are a completely different beast.
BlitzMax and it's half-arsed 3D Max3DSDK or WTF it was called - abandoned; "you want it?  YOU finish it".
BlitzMax + MiniB3D - weird backward-step, or as some might call it, "a cop-out".
BlitzMax to Monkey - Eh?  That's not even reinventing the wheel.  It's replacing round wheels with square ones.
Monkey to Monkey2 - What the entire f*ck is going on here??

I wouldn't touch BRL's stuff now with a bargepole.  If you've got time to re-learn language after language     

Well, I'm still messing about with B3D - and it kinda still works.

Yeah - I dipped in at Blitz3D - I alwys thought Blitz plus was a pre-cursor to B3D, maybe not.

BlitMax was a bit of a sod to get head around after B3D, however it DID work on Linux and Windows - couldn't be arsed doing 3D with it, after all still had blitz3D.

As for Monkey - yeah - MonkeyX worked well for me in HTML5, but getting it to compile for Android was too much of an ask for an indie.
In fact, Monkey worked so well considering Cerberus X - but tbh, my coding mojo is somewhat curbed these days. Must be getting older.

As for monkey2, yep tried it briefly. Too old too get head around more stuff, I'd rather walk the dog!

Now Unity, tried that briefly - however coding drive for new languages as nigh on non existent.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Dabz

@Dave

That looks... The biz!!! :)

I hope you can finish it mind, because, well... It will be an absolutely beauty to get a hold off! :)

Me like me like me like!!! ;) hehehe

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Pfaber11

Just seen monkey 2 for free on Itch.io  and blitz 3D is on there . Plenty out there to try for people wanting to get into programming to see if they want to progress to another language . I'm still into PureBasic at the moment and probably will be for quite some time . Halfway through a game with it which is my first try with PureBasic. Gonna get this one finished and then I've got some ideas for the next one . Kinda ground to a halt at the moment and am gonna wait until the new year before starting again . Anyway Monkey 2 for free has got to be good never looked at the syntax but I think it's probably quite useful . Wrote my first program for windows a couple of years ago in Blitz3D which was interesting . I might dig it out to find it It's on a disk somewhere . Kind of a space invaders type game but with spiders coming down the screen. After this I moved onto AGK2 and loved it . Still will use it for some projects as it works well with Android . Really like PureBasic for speed just a shame it doesn't work with Android and looked at spider basic and it doesn't do 3D so not any use to me . Any way Enjoy your Christmas where ever you are .
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

round157

No activity. :(
https://monkeycoders.boards.net

If their community wants to succeed , perhaps two things are needed:

1. Organize a team to continue the development of Monkey2. 
2. Ask for some sub-forums in SyntaxBomb forum as Monkey2's official forum.

iWasAdam

Monkey2 is deader than lime green A-Line flares! It's a real lesson in how poison the well and force your users to drink the Kool-Aid!

My apps mention MX2. this is my personal fork of Monkey2. where I rewrote a lot of the code to allow me to do all sorts of nice stuff that should have been there is the beginning.

Steve Elliott

2. Ask for some sub-forums in SyntaxBomb forum as Monkey2's official forum.

You do realize you're posting in a Monkey Forum on SyntaxBomb, right?

Monkey2 is deader than lime green A-Line flares! It's a real lesson in how poison the well and force your users to drink the Kool-Aid!

Yep Monkey is dead and Mark Sibly deceives no favours.  A couple of people have picked up the open source and are making something better out of it, like Adam with his Monkey 2 fork and Mike Hart with Cerberus X (Monkey 1).  Both Monkeys abandoned by Mark Sibly.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

Quote from: Steve Elliott on March 13, 2020, 08:17:43
Both Monkeys abandoned by Mark Sibly.

Seems about time to raise funds for an "MS Animal Shelter" :D

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

Both Monkeys abandoned by Mark Sibly.

Seems about time to raise funds for an "MS Animal Shelter" :D

;) Noo, those pesky mischievous Monkeys are not suitable for an Animal Language Shelter, they're better set free to monkey about.  Languages with stupid names should always be set free lol.   ;D
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

any language where the examples are 'bananas' is well.... nuts! :P

Naughty Alien

Quoteany language where the examples are 'bananas' is well.... nuts! :P

..lol..this is hilarious..haha.... ;D

dawlane

I was just thinking that it's a shame that Monkey 1 & 2 were not called Parrot, then this sketch would just about right.

3DzForMe

I'm still well chuffed with What I achieved with MonkeyX HTML5, data parsing and stuff. Yeah, Mark Sibly might not have been a marketing genius, but - I stand by his coding engine genius, Blitz 3D and MonkeyX were awesome products. MonkeyX was indie development aimed at teams of individuals.... I couldn't cope with the myriad of Android release complexity. Cest La vie.

I first coded on a zx81, to realise my own mario fort block with an articulated truck that had my own KITT in the back.... Try that with unity 😉
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

round157

Quote from: Steve Elliott on March 13, 2020, 08:17:43

You do realize you're posting in a Monkey Forum on SyntaxBomb, right?

Sorry, I did not explain well. Some new sub-forums will be required in the Monkey sub-forum. Just like the three sub-forums in the BlitzMax NG sub-forum.