How Many Using Pure Basic

Started by Pfaber11, November 07, 2019, 13:19:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfaber11

Hi was just wondering how many people on syntax bomb are using Pure Basic . Some people say basic is dead but I disagree and think there will always be a place for it in one form or another . I think with PureBasic and AGK2 out there it will be around for a long time yet . I've had a long play with python and I think Purebasic or AGK2 are way better . When I was using python to do some 2d stuff the graphics used to judder every few seconds . Really not very professional . Don't know why it is main stream and PureBasic isn't and PB is much faster . Maybe it's because it isn't free but 79 euros to a developer isn't really that much for a tool that really kicks arse. Anyway would be interesting to know how many of us are out there and how long have you been using PB . I'm 4 weeks in and regard it as the best decision I've made in a while coming from AGK2 . In some ways they are similar in style although I believe PB can be used for more than just games , some might argue that AGK2 can also but I think it's best for gamey things .
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

MikeHart

Quote from: Pfaber11 on November 07, 2019, 13:19:20
...I've had a long play with python and I think Purebasic or AGK2 are way better . When I was using python to do some 2d stuff the graphics used to judder every few seconds . Really not very professional ....
Why the hell you mention this in every fucking post? FYI, there are people out there who produce awesome stuff with Python. This language is used by countless professionals!!!!
You are just to fucking stupid to use it properly. Stop downgrading a tool just because you are not able to understand its most simple concepts.

Here is a suggestion for you before you try to damage the reputation of the next tool you jump to.And that you get for free! Draw stick figures instead... if you are able to.

Edit: And yes, I use Purebasic too. But it is just a tool in many I use! Not that it concerns you.

RemiD

( i was going to flame such nonsense, but seeing that MikeHart did it with power (but with moderate words, a great demonstration of self control and deep breathing ability), i don't have to, good, i can stay the good nice boy today hihi ;D )

Steve Elliott

SyntaxBomb goes hardcore.   :o  I think Pfaber11 is making the mistake of mixing-up computer language capabilities, with the game engine features that are either built-in or bolted-on to that language.

Languages like Blitz3D, AGK and Pure BASIC have a lot of features for dealing with graphics, sound and other useful features for game production.  Where as languages like C++ or Python deal with only logic.  So it's unfair to compare them when some languages are merely 'general purpose' languages, rather than languages more tuned for games.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Coder Apprentice

...but 79 euros to a developer isn't really that much for a tool that really kicks arse.

Did you buy it?

Qube

Hi was just wondering how many people on syntax bomb are using Pure Basic.
Bought it, tried it, didn't much like it as the syntax structure I found pretty odd. I did like the speed of the output though. Also I found the IDE just didn't feel right at all ( personal preference I guess ).

Will probably give it another go or two over time but I can't see me using it for games as it's missing so much that AGK has built in.

Some people say basic is dead but I disagree and think there will always be a place for it in one form or another
Coding snobs have been crying the death knell of basic for years and years. For business apps I use VB.net and Delphi and never once ( in 20 years ) has a company asked what language it's coded in. All they care about is if it works and works as they want it to do. I could have coded it in turtle for all they care. I love basic and always will as I don't see the need to code certain things in a more complex language just to say "It's written in X snazzy whizzy language"
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

GaborD

Quote from: Qube on November 08, 2019, 01:25:17
For business apps I use VB.net and Delphi and never once ( in 20 years ) has a company asked what language it's coded in. All they care about is if it works and works as they want it to do. I could have coded it in turtle for all they care.

Exactly.
I have the same experience with more game-ish projects too. Noone cares what you use under the hood.
Basic variants are still going strong. :)

I am sure I own PureBasic, never really used it though. I think I got it right before I got sidetracked by NB.

Pfaber11

Sorry if I pissed you off Mike I shall not make any such remarks in the future.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .

Pfaber11

Hey Kris no I haven't purchased it yet  I'm still using the free edition which works the same but with a 800 line limit. Will be buying in the next couple of weeks as the practice stage is over and I'm ready to start producing . I don't think they have regular sales like the game creators which is a shame but still consider it to be worth the price . I feel quite confident in using it now . At least you get to try before you buy so won't end up wasting your money on something you can't use . The same with AGK2 as well.

Naughty Alien

..im using it, and its clocking its cycles right now, somewhere in south east china sea, near Brunai..hehehehe...every tool is good, it just depend, does it suit particular needs of specific project..thats all... ;D

Phil7

QuoteHi was just wondering how many people on syntax bomb are using Pure Basic .

I have been using it for some time and for small apps it is really quick and easy.
When trying to write games a few things got more and more annoying to me at this time:
- Above 3000 loc my naming got longer and longer to keep things clean and I started missing real Classes and Objects to encapsulate things.
- I wanted my games to work on old unmaintained WinXP PCs. Everything that was in a screen just didn't work because of the wrong openGl or directX drivers.
- Purebasic is really easy to use when you rely on integrated functionality, but if you want to use userlibs and code snippets, it can get pretty overwhelming. This got better with the introduction of modules I have to admit.

That was the reason I got into Monkey, aka Cerberus X. It worked on all old PCs without hassle. The only hurdle at this time was the setup of the target SDKs and a confusing documentation.

Pfaber11

Never tried monkey the name just seems a little odd I have heard it's pretty good though. My last game had nearly 10,000 loc and the only problem was scrolling through the code that was in AGK2 biggest program I've ever wrote. anyway the scrolling through the code was weird still got the job done though .

Aurel [banned]

Well i have it still somewhere on my hard drive but i really rare use PureBasic which is probably
the top 1 popular basic-like language ,it is not bad at all.
I am basic fan too and i cannot say good words about python at all,it is promoted as freakin replacement for
BASIC....yeah probably is "great" solution for linux users but on Windows..simply is too slow .
and yeah ..I never see such a reaktion from Mike(i know him long time ago) he sa really good guy
but i don't expect that he defend python,yes it is used in many science programs but not assuch then
as a glue language with well known extra library.
ehhhh...
(Y)

Qube

QuoteMy last game had nearly 10,000 loc and the only problem was scrolling through the code that was in AGK2 biggest program I've ever wrote
You do know that AGK has code folding? - Also I'm sure that with 10,000 + lines of code there is much scope to create modules?
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

10,000 for a simple maze game sort of sounds a bit loong. I would have thought (Max) should be around 2000 with 900-1000 being a good target - unless you using loads of rem statements to help you?