Never going back to 60hz ever again

Started by Amon, November 06, 2019, 21:50:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Amon

I got my IIYAMA G-MASTER Red Eagle today. It's a freesync 144hz QHD monitor. Oh man. Oooooh man it is silky smooth. I never thought having higher refresh rates would look so good. I guess I was too used to accepting 60hz as it was the standard and probably still is. 144hz though, especially when gaming, is out of this world.

Pfaber11

HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Kippykip

Yeah when playing early 2000s games on my secondary pc, I set it to 640x480 so I can play at 100hz as it's a CRT.
I've never owned a 144hz monitor however, I've been wondering if it's worth getting?

Hardcoal

I knew it!
Is it better also for text reading and programming?
Eye comfort?

I never had a doubt it's worth buying.. For gaming at least..
Code

Steve Elliott

Is it better also for text reading and programming?
Eye comfort?

I think it is, and I only have a 75hz monitor, but I can tell the difference between that and a 60hz monitor after a while in-front of the screen.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Hardcoal

Tommorw im getting my OLED C9 LG 120HZ TV.
Code

Amon

Quote from: Hardcoal on December 09, 2019, 15:38:04
Tommorw im getting my OLED C9 LG 120HZ TV.
That's a nice bit of kit that is.. :) With a price tag to match.

Hardcoal

Ok.. Time for My Oled Impression Review...

I can play 120hz on full HD but not on 4K since not only you need an HDMI 2.1 cable which I have
but you also need the Graphic Card to Support it. and mine doesnt..
I do have a display port exist on the card, So I need to wait until an Adaptor will come out to match the two.

I tried playing unreal tournement on 120hz, and there is no doubt. much nicer and smoother to the eye.

The TV has built In Eye comfort Mode.

After doing many setting, ive reached more or less the the settings that are comfortable for me.

The TV has awarness when nothing is changing on the screen, so it dims its light after a while
to prevent screen burn in.

The Speakers of this tv are the best ive ever heard on a TV
deep basses.. and definitally can save a stereo system.

Lots of features to this TV.

Pixel response  0.1 ms. Deep Blacks..

Im Pretty pleased

Also I want to mention, its more comfortable to the Eye. but not perfect.
screens are still not papers.

White colors are much easier to the eye in this screen.

Yea I like my OLED. but thats the best screen for programming! https://youtu.be/zjJ2-cdhwMQ

----------
ONE MORE THING! working on 120hz is much easier for the eye. I just noticed it now
I have to use Full HD instead of 4K and its annoying that the text is not so sharp as it should be,
but thats the price I need to pay.

No I wonder how will it be on 240hz :D

well next month Ill buy another one..

JK ;)

Another thing that effect eye strain is the type of light you have in the room..
Ive noticed that when i sit on computer with low light. i suffer less..

it probably makes the screen more visible and maybe the refresh rate difference between the two also may effect the brain

Code

Hardcoal

Two weeks later or so.. after using my new TV..
Yea.. I highly recommend it to people with eye comfort issues..

Best so far.. no doubt..

with the right settings..

LG would have made lots of money if they released an OLED computer monitor.
I really dont get this companies sometimes..

With my OLed tv there is auto Dimming of picture.. when picture is too static. so it protects itself from burn ins

I see no reason not to apply it on a smaller scale of monitor../TV

I think a Full HD or 1440P 32 Inch computer oled monitor is charming.. with support of 144hz refresh rate

Good, Yet its not perfect
Code

Qube

Talking of TV's and slightly off topic...

For Christmas I decided to replace our trusty old Samsung TV in the bedroom. It was about 8 to 9 years old an a 40inch HD 3D TV ( we only used the 3D side once )

As I didn't want to go crazy nuts but still wanted a quality updated TV to last hopefully years I went for the Samsung 43 Inch Q60 QE43Q60RATXXU Smart 4K HDR QLED TV - Luckily it's a huge improvement over the old one. The upscaling from HD to 4K is very impressive and streaming 4K content from Netflix or Amazon Prime is really really nice. All being well it'll last as long as the trusty old one and we'll get 8+ years out of it before the next upgrade to whatever the new fan-dangled future of TV brings.

I also installed a quad band satellite for Freesat in the living room and bedroom ( got fed up with freeview breaking up ). I had awesome fun armed with a hammer drill going through 9+ inches of concrete wall but that's a whole other story ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Hardcoal

Lets hear the hammer drill story you intrigued me :)
why would anyone need to drill through  a 9" wall..  maybe to pass wires?

qled is a great technology. you did well.
Code

Qube

Quote from: Hardcoal on December 27, 2019, 22:53:37
Lol OK, I'll write up my whole saga of satellite installation in a separate post later today ;D
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Qube

Quote from: Hardcoal on December 27, 2019, 22:53:37
It's a long winded story but here it is :))

Until the next time.