My program gets stuck when I Enter In and Out of Sleep mode

Started by Hardcoal, November 05, 2019, 16:58:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardcoal

This is an old problem that I saved to the End of my problem solving priority list.
but now its time to deal with it.

what causes the program to get stuck when I Enter sleep mode and how Can I prevent it?

Thanks
Code

Derron

Use NG...it got some fixes for this there (app gets informed about sleep and waking up). So NGs MaxIDE properly restores after hibernation.

Graphic apps might need to reload all graphical contexts, textures...

Bye
Ron

Hardcoal

I cant use NG because NG gives me errors on various matters on my project..
Does NG can run Xors3D and Alba Lynx?
Code

Derron

dunno if it runs xors or whatever ... running outdated libraries with no further support is ... uhm... nothing one should do if it is no "fire and forget" application which is written and finished within the next months.

So ... if you have errors with NG, then raise issues for it on github and maybe Brucey can have a look.
But sooner or later you might be required to switch to NG (and maybe OpenB3D or other alternative 3D engines).
I made TVTower (>5MB of bmx files) compatible with NG a longer time ago and it was a bit of work but it did not took more than a weekend to make it compile and run. Of course it is benefitial to have a (super)strict code base already - I guess your code is already (super)strict as a game editor else might be very error prone if coded "lighthearted".

Next to raising issues you can also ask people here - see you have Henri being very elaborative on howtos regarding BlitzMax.

bye
Ron

Hardcoal

I barely know if ill continue this editor, let alone switch 3d engines.
Im pretty convinced i made a mistake trying to build a blueprint.
Xors3D works fine for what I need, i have no intentions spending months replacing it.

Ill manage with what i have or drop it or maybe give it another big rest
Code

Derron

So maybe just try to get xors3d working with NG? Maybe it works out of the box or maybe it needs further adjustments in the wrapper. Maybe someone else already did the necessary adjustments. As said I am not using it so I do not know.

I know your project has grown over time and a lot efforts were made. Yet "xors3D" is a bit of a dead horse. So make sure to check out potential consequences of it, check if you won't run into limitations sooner or later etc.

Nonetheless: replacing the graphics engine can be done in pretty much every stage of a project (with different amount of work to do of course). Your application logic is what makes your app - not the backend/renderer. With NG you gain some new cool features and a more up to date state of the libraries - as NG is supported, legacy/original BlitzMax no longer maintained. Every fix done to maxmods/brl.mod or pub.mod will most probably be done by me or other users still running legacy here and there. So I only backport some stuff to make it "compatible" with NG if NG modules get updated and add features I would use in my code compiled with NG and legacy.

bye
Ron

Hardcoal

Ill give NG another try..
and you got it right! a graphic engine can always be replaced..
If this project succeed than maybe more people will join, because alone i cant handle it.

Sadly, Im still not sure if what im doing worth anything, but something keeps me going.

Code