January 22, 2020, 12:34:47 PM

Author Topic: AGK Studio is it finished yet?  (Read 655 times)

Offline Pfaber11

• Bonjour
    • FABERSGAMES
AGK Studio is it finished yet?
« on: November 02, 2019, 05:56:40 PM »
Hi was just wondering how AGK Studio was coming along . Has the vulkan been completed for Android yet and most of the bugs squished. I'm still using AGK2 for Android stuff and I don't really see the point of upgrading to studio anytime soon. Just curious as to how it's coming along. I liked the trial for a couple of weeks and felt right at home with it . I'm currently jumping ship to purebasic for a few reasons and the transition from AGK2 to PureBasic has been pretty easy really with a bit of help from the knowledgeable people on here. Anyway as I said I'll still be using AGK2 for all my android programs. Good evening  and happy coding.
 Presuming it is finished by now apart from the odd update  . What I was wondering was if I compile on a computer using vulkan will it still run on a computer using only openGL  and  would all that be taken care of in the background  .
Celeron N3060 1.6 ghz duel core  4 Gb ram 32 gig storage  HD400 Graphics 160 gig external hard drive....

Offline Xaron

Re: AGK Studio is it finished yet?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 06:43:07 AM »
I'm curious as well. Do we have studio users here?

Can I use studio the same way as classic? When I don't need all this shiny drag&drop stuff is classic on par with studio?

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 07:12:52 AM »
Hi, I bought AGK Studio just over a week ago, haven't really spent too much time on it so far,
however the results are plain to see in the images attached. For a while I've been mulling over
creating texture terrains using a 3D package - I've had some success with Blitz3D however one of
the huge assets of Blitz3D was its forum users and their helpful nature. We all know what happened
to that.....

Moving swiftly on - Qube has done an excellent job in creating such a welcoming environment here,
his gaming competitions have went a long way to re-kindling my enthusiasm for coding stuff - even if most
of my entre's struggle to get passed the Alpha stage (I really MUST get back to polishing my Wild West thingy....)

Sorry, I can't answer questions about the Vulcan thing as I've not used it and I never used classic.
I have attached a screen grab of the IDE for info purposes. I'm really pleased with how AGK Studio is
rendering my coded heightmaps - as for trying it out on Android - I'm not overly keen to do that just
yet. I've a little PTSD from trying to do Android stuff with MonkeyX (I did manage it but it took some effort!)

So, to summarize, I wanted to find something that did a swish job of displaying heightmaps - with a forum
that is alive and well. AGK Studio has met my needs so far - I'm working on how to plot a load of pixels in
3D from two points on a heightmap at the moment. I suppose their not really pixels in 3D, more cubes - or
polygons, vertexes, triangles......

The images attached are:

(The first 4 are huge - so I IRFANview 'd batch converterted 4 smaller ones with the 's' suffix - IRFANview is a brilliant
image batch converter, I recommend it if you've never tried it  :D)

1.  AGK Studio IDE
2.  Letter A heightmap
3.  Letter A rendered in old app
4.  First stab at a letter A in AGK Studio

+1 vote for AGK Studio - its got more example projects than you could shake a stick at!

Offline c0d3r9

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 07:57:16 AM »
@Xaron: i´m a AGK Classic and Studio User.
Yes you can pure coding with studio.I no friend of drag and drop...but i like vulkan.
@Pfaber: you can choose the renderer.OpenGL, Vulkan or prefer best.
If you force to use vulkan as renderer that it won´t run on a opengl-only machine.
But if you choose "prefer best" than it renders with vulkan if available and opengl if not.

An engine is never finished ;)
Laptop: Win10@64bit - i3 2x2Ghz - 8GB Ram - 1TB HDD
Desktop: Win10@64bit - AMD Ryzen 5 2400G - MSI B450 Tomahawk - 8GB Ram - 240GB SSD

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 08:28:25 AM »
An engine is never finished
   :D

That is the beauty of AGK Studio - it offers SO much - And, it is still being improved upon - get your copy now! I'm just glad the cobwebs got blasted of my coding mojo over the last 12 months or so.

Todays challenge (Hmmm... I'll make it this weeks challenge) is to work in the 170 foot of elevation I gained on my bike ride, in AGK Studio - of course  8)

Offline Henri

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 09:36:33 AM »
Blitz3D is not cutting the mustard anymore ? Is this the end B3D?

-Henri
- Got 01100011 problems, but the bit ain't 00000001

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 10:43:49 AM »
Well.... Truth of the matter is I reverted to Blitz3D for the height map generation (2d), purely because I've already coded latitude and longitude data parsers in that. Then, I'm using AGK studio for the terrain generation.

I'll probably get around to AGK heightmap generation from GPS data, although having already made two .tcx file parsers (MonkeyX and Blitz 3D) the mojo isn't there to do it a third time - for now

Blitz3D will never die, although AGK Studio's function to render a heightmap has some lovely arguments you can pass it, such as terrain height..... :D

Offline Xaron

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 10:55:20 AM »
3DzForMe, sounds awesome and somehow like what I did with Unity. Using DEM (GTOPO30) data to create height maps plus texturing it. Got me quite some headaches to get this stuff running threaded for seamless terrain streaming.

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 04:09:52 PM »
@Xaron, ahh yes DEM files. First time I used those was from a CD-ROM on my Amiga 1200 with Vista-Pro if I recall rightly. It took forever to render terrains, but the results were akin to sorcerey! The mind boggles at what's achievable these days, interesting times to be playing with terrain generators. AGK Studio is an awesome product, and I've only skimmed the surface!

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 10:59:21 AM »
This took a surprising amount of brainache - comparison of x and y's when you frigged them about about a bit doesn't work to well.

Also, as the mountains get bigger - intend to decrease their girth and connect the peaks - but for now - this kinda gives not a bad impression of height differential - even if it is only 150 feet or so over 6 miles.  :D

The spiky hills along the periphery is just some debug I didn't quite crop out of the heightmap image....