October 18, 2019, 06:29:37 PM

Author Topic: MIX-IT-UP Comp Entry - Tyoob  (Read 109 times)

Offline BasicBoy

MIX-IT-UP Comp Entry - Tyoob
« on: October 12, 2019, 06:58:58 PM »
Here's where I am so far (although bear in mind that the game won't be anywhere near as busy as this, where I've filled the tunnel with an excessive number of objects for test purposes):

Furthermore, the tunnel won't be as twisty as that (for the most part), except perhaps the final level. I recently found that I can't change the diameter of the tunnel without causing side effects that I don't have time to handle. So, sadly, the tunnels will be of constant diameter.

The frame rate drop is rather alarming (no time now for optimisations), but hopefully the final version of the game won't get busy enough for such drastic frame rate drops.

Still to do:

* Four levels, each with an end-of-level boss
* Music & sound effects

and other bits and pieces.

The player will have to meet a kill quota, so even if they reach the end of the tunnel and kill the end-of-game boss, they can only proceed to the next level if they've killed enough baddies (there will be some kind of indicator showing the current kill count).

With so much yet to do there's no guarantee I'll be able to get this finished in time for the deadline, but I will try...

BasicBoy.
--

Online Steve Elliott

Re: MIX-IT-UP Comp Entry - Tyoob
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 07:09:55 PM »
Looking good, although I think your ship should be more vector-like than sprite-based.  More angular with some transparency perhaps.
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Mojave, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.1, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
Raspbian Buster, pi4 4Gb RAM,1.5Ghz

Offline BasicBoy

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 07:19:48 PM »
Looking good, although I think your ship should be more vector-like than sprite-based.  More angular with some transparency perhaps.

Yes, I've been meaning to replace the player's ship with something more '3D' (with correct perspective), but I probably won't have time. I'm not sure about the transparency suggestion. In line with the Retro requirement, I've chosen to use the 320x256 screen resolution and (horrible!) fixed 256-colour palette of the Acorn Archimedes, and transparency effects are probably not going to work well.

Online Steve Elliott

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 07:28:18 PM »
So you've thought about it, just tweak if you have time  :)

Transparency could be faked with a dot pattern, if you've ever seen Platypus you'll know what I'm talking about.
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Mojave, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.1, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
Raspbian Buster, pi4 4Gb RAM,1.5Ghz

Offline GaborD

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 07:43:58 PM »
Looks great. I don't mind that it's busy, just adds more challenge, which is good.
You have nicely color separated the background from the gameplay elements, so it's not too hard to see what's coming your way. The background could maybe be a bit darker to separate it even more, but it works already.
Looking forward to the end result.

Offline RemiD

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 07:55:05 PM »
this looks cool :), it reminds me of "space harrier" on genesis

is it 3d ?
DualCore AMD E-450, 1646 MHz - 6 Go DDR3 1333 SDRAM - AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics (384 Mo) - Windows 7 Home Premium - DirectX 11.0

Offline BasicBoy

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 08:18:50 PM »
So you've thought about it, just tweak if you have time  :)

Hmm.. more than a tweak, I think! More like a 'whole day' job. (At least at the rate that I work at...)

is it 3d ?

I suppose it's meant to be at least pseudo-3D? The 3D effect would look more convincing with distance-dependent colour shading (faraway tunnel segments and objects should be darker, and near ones ligher). But there's no time (again!) for such enhancements because I have essential game elements that need implementing in time for the deadline.

Offline RemiD

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 09:14:51 PM »
@Basicboy>> no i mean, do you use 3d to make it (3axises with meshes and textures) ? or only 2d (2axises with images)
DualCore AMD E-450, 1646 MHz - 6 Go DDR3 1333 SDRAM - AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics (384 Mo) - Windows 7 Home Premium - DirectX 11.0

Offline BasicBoy

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 05:43:48 AM »
@Basicboy>> no i mean, do you use 3d to make it (3axises with meshes and textures) ? or only 2d (2axises with images)

It's purely 2D - no textures or even any GPU acceleration. All graphics (sprites, lines, etc.) are software rendered. It's all rather oldskool.

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 06:34:32 AM »
Love it ;D - That was the sort of style I was originally aiming for with Galaxy Defender when I did the ZX Collection for one of the game comps but didn't have the time to take it to that level.... Nice one :)
Until the next time...