I think this is important

Started by iWasAdam, October 09, 2019, 07:56:47

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

Don't bomb me for mentioning the state of things. but I think this is worth people thinking about.

MikeHart

So it is better to have China ban/boykott Blizzard and noone can play Blizzard games in China anymore? One player went against the rules of Blizzard, which he knew and now faces the consequences.
Its that simple. Their playground, their rules.

RemiD

i agree with MikeHart on this one...

video games are for entertainement, not politics...

and why would a company risk to pay legal fees or have restrictions for an opinion that does not really matter in the end...

Kryzon

...because that'd mean they're dancing to the tune of an authoritarian regime?? 

"Grrr, don't let your users talk about things I don't like, or I'm gonna punish you". How weak of a government do you need to be for you to be scared of what people have to say about you, to the point you won't even let them say it? 
"I'm right, as long as people don't point out that I'm actually wrong".

Kryzon

Or rather, how ridiculous would it be to ban an entire company because of the actions of one of its users?

RemiD

well, even in France, the so called country of freedom of speech and human rights, you can't talk about certain things or do certain things... so autoritarian is everywhere in different degrees and different forms, imo...

( but i won't talk about that in my maze game, i promise  ;D )

Xerra

Quote from: RemiD on October 09, 2019, 12:26:58
i agree with MikeHart on this one...

video games are for entertainement, not politics...

This and this for me too. I don't believe any company of this size would be deliberately trying to stir up customers and shareholders by indicating they support a particular political stance. Most of the backlash from this has been the customer base of Blizzards that aren't happy unless they have something to take a swipe at them about. This can be plainly seen in the Diablo forums as it's the same people kicking off about this.

Blizzard have rules about their games and participation in events like this. This guy tried to flaunt them just to push his views across which is against those rules. Ban is justified on those grounds.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Kryzon

Quote from: Xerra on October 09, 2019, 17:43:54This guy tried to flaunt them just to push his views across which is against those rules. Ban is justified on those grounds.
Sure, the ban can be justified -- it's their platform, their rules -- but when you're banning people because their views are about defending democratic freedom, then you're heading into deep water. 

If their protest was for something else like "make more Pistachio icecream! There's not enough of that in the world", would they get banned as well? They'd still be pushing their views after all. 
So, I think it was the content of their statement that caused the ban, not the act of stating. It was a content that'd anger the Chinese to the point of hurting Blizzard's business in there.

MikeHart

Quote from: Kryzon on October 09, 2019, 19:09:47
Quote from: Xerra on October 09, 2019, 17:43:54This guy tried to flaunt them just to push his views across which is against those rules. Ban is justified on those grounds.
It was a content that'd anger the Chinese to the point of hurting Blizzard's business in there.
Of course it would hurt them. And hurt millions of Chinese players in the process. And maybe every Blizzard customer! Because one guy thought it was an awesome opportunity to voice his opinion on Blizzards platform.
If you run a company, it is always about money. Nothing else. Otherwise you would not have a company to begin with.

iWasAdam

QuoteMost of the backlash from this has been the customer base of Blizzards that aren't happy unless they have something to take a swipe at them about.

I think, and many others, would disagree with this.

Other games companies are aligning themselves against Blizzard: even those with higher (investor) direct links with China.

And 2 of Blizzards core mantras are: "Think Globally" and "Every Voice Matters".
It should also be pointed out that Blizzard employees are also not happy about the companies response along with (now) US politicians (Blizzard is a US company).

MikeHart

I predict it will make Blizzard to size down or completely close shop. Hope the protesters will be happy that families loose they income, homes, health insurance.. After all, free speech. Next target Apple... then
Samsung
Google
At&t
General Motors
Nike
etc. Etc.
To their believes, every company that deals with China should be closed. Well a world without clothes , cars and internet... we had that before. Right ?! Good luck.

[size=78%]Samsung,  [/size]