same gameplay, same graphics style, but several games (themes)

Started by RemiD, October 07, 2019, 18:40:58

Previous topic - Next topic

RemiD

hi,  :)

not the first time i see this, somebody makes a game with his own gameplay, with his own graphics style, but then he makes several others games with the same gameplay, with the same graphics style but on different themes (for example : winter, spring, summer, automn, or christmas / easter, or halloween, zombies, space, medieval, egyptian, etc...)

i just found such an example today, because i plan to (try to) create a game in a maze ( Pfaber influenced me :-[ ), so i was looking for which maze games already exist, and i found several "iterations" (clones ?) of some games (on the steam store)

i think it is quite good idea, as long as the gameplay is fun enough and the graphics style is nice enough...
at least you know what to create next lol ( i am more a technic guy than a fiction guy ;D )

Derron

Check out what GreyAlien did (Solitaire games, Match3 games) - and surely some other Blitz-users did so too.

Often it is not just a new theme - it is often also a different set of minigames etc. But basically yepp, "casual game + skins = multiple games to sell".

bye
Ron

RemiD

Yes, i have seen what greyalien did with different themes for his games with similar gameplay (match3 ?) but i don't really like this kind of gameplay :P

but it is doable for all kinds of gameplay, or genre rather, just remove / add / mod / adapt some functionalities depending on the theme.

some examples that i have seen on the steam store :
zombie shooter and alien shooter (top down shooter)
horror maze dungeon and horror maze scifi (first person maze exploration)

and there must be many others...

a problem that i have these days, is that i am more interested in making games for the technical side than inventing fictional worlds and stories... so it is easier for me to try to reproduce and then mod an existing gameplay and graphics style than to imagine one from scratch (because i have no desire to do that)
also i like procedural generation for this reason... (less manually made stories / dialogues / missions, more procedurally made
stuff and action)