SyntaxBomb Christmas Magazine #1 - We need you!

Started by Qube, October 07, 2019, 07:02:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

iWasAdam asked me if I could come up with screens + text on how I created my advertisements (C64 + Genus Prime and the arcade cabinet for Honey Quest). Might be of interest for some - but the more complex scenes become, the more pages I would have required - even if only showing how to do the sides:
start blender, "tab" to edit, "alt + m" for merge, merge at center, move the resulting single vertex with "G", extrude with "e", constrain with x,y,z ... repeat until you have the shape of a cabinet ... then add "solidify modifier", adjust the material index for the resulting rim, ... and so on. So if I only would show certain aspects of the scene it would be a 10+ page thing with many small screenshots and texts consisting of "use shortcut x" (to cut instructions down). Not to talk about a how to for smoke simulation (adding smoke generators, add turbulence and wind affectors, setup the right material, ...). Such stuff is better told in a video tutorial. But if there is interest I could try to create a thread for it (with some screens, texts ...).

Btw I am talking about this:

(again in "small" to not expose too much for the ones not interested in being spoilered)

So next to modelling there is also the whole part of texture painting - which means a lot of small little steps in (eg.) Photoshop. For a one used to a software tutorials can be way way shorter but if you need to target "beginner to advanced" users, stuff can become lengthy and also requiring little visual tricks - eg different borders for images to emphasize who should look at what.

@ personal stories
I think the intention of this magazine was also, to bring the community a bit "together", to leave the scent of a "IT nerd family". You know somewhat "private" from your community collegues. So I think it is good to have a mix - of stories, fun and a slight tech part (you Astar for example - did not dive into it enough but the dynamical obstacles part might be of interest as I for now were always caching information to speed up recalculation or dynamically traversing through the nodes to find my path).

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Sorry about the online version and image mangling - Qube said his little helpers had too much eggnog! We're getting it sorted, I promise.

As for the type and style of article - it was open to all in whatever style they felt was best. There might have been minor changes, but most text is as it was delivered. As this is the first edition. I think that anyone who submitted anything or even made suggestions should be pretty stoked.

only 1 article failed to be published, due to the nature of the magazine itself - no downloads, gifs, animations, etc.

Derron

Maybe this story can be posted as thread/video (if it already existed) ?

BTW: done reading. Enjoyed the Fairlight CMI story the most (dunno why). Bsisko's computer story ... Every additional sentence I have read made me more and more think "how old is the dude ... and when did he leave parents home" and then I've read he is retired now already. I somehow think I am one of the "chicks" in the nest - being just below 40.

bye
Ron

Qube

Works fine my 5k monitor :P - should have checked on lower resolutions so will fix tonight. In the meantime you can always buy a higher res monitor... No? Ok then ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Kryzon

iWasAdam

I'm with Steve - i touched the trackpad and it registered as 1000 pages + please! LOL

Kryzon

By the way, how was the dynamic page flipping effect done? It works from almost any angle, it's pretty robust. Was there a paper this was based on?

therevills

I've had a quick flick thru it and it looks great!

Matty

Amanda Dearheart

@Derron

I am 60 years old.  I left my parents home in 1987. They are both dead now. While buying computer magazines and books, I earned my money while serving food at a government run mental hospital.  I am now retired from that position, never been married, though I have come across some females that were temping (various races, two black, three white, 1 half white half mexican, four mexican, 7 asian, and a I think 1 apache)  I love playing games too much and researching computer code to ever think about getting married.
Prepare to be assimilated !  Resistance is futile!

Jayenkai

Congrats to all involved, on a job well done.
I'll assume that .. things like this are unplanned oddities made worse by the (apparently not 100%) renderer, and not a fault of the editor-in-chief!
Hopefully you can fix those issues over the next few days.  I expect that rendering the pdf as jpgs would probably work out better, but quite a bit larger, too.

It's really quite a lovely result, though.
Bravo!
"Load, Next List"

MrmediamanX

guilty .. no doubt the article unused was mine, i'm cool with it but I should have gone with plan B which was an article about the demo scene and being a former member of it both in audio/art and coding .... till next time guys.
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

Qube

SyntaxBomb Christmas Magazine is now fixed - You can also download the original PDF version

Thanks to iWasAdam for supplying the PNG pages ( saved me a lot of work as I just needed to reimport and tweak a few things ) ;D

Homepage also updated to reflect the fixed magazine.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

YAY looks lush!. I can proved higher res images is needed - just let me know :) Whatever you want I'm sure I can do it! Where's me Eggnog!