October 18, 2019, 06:31:22 PM

Author Topic: SyntaxBomb Christmas Magazine #1 - We need you!  (Read 259 times)

Offline Qube

• Administrator
SyntaxBomb Christmas Magazine #1 - We need you!
« on: October 07, 2019, 07:02:12 AM »
Let's start a new tradition of making a yearly magazine full of contributions from our esteemed members.

Those who would like to contribute to our 1st Christmas magazine simply need to PM iWasAdam ( do not post in this thread so the content is super secret hush hush ) with any of the following ( pick one or more, it's up to you ) :
  • Memories of your 1st computer. Why it was so special and why it still holds a place in your heart.
  • Memories of visiting the arcade as a kid..
  • What projects you are working on now.
  • What have you learned from previous projects you've worked on.
  • Your favourite retro game and why you still go back to it.
  • A devlog from any projects you've done / working on. What worked / What didn't / What did you learn etc.
  • Awesome code example / tips / tricks etc.
  • What your favourite Christmas present was.
  • What you always wanted for Christmas but never got.
  • What is your favourite Christmas memory.
  • Christmas jokes.
  • Or anything you think will be great for the magazine. It doesn't have to be a topic from above, just contribute.
Also don't worry about spelling / language barrier etc as the most important thing is content as written by you :)

If your contribution has images then use the img tag and iWasAdam will download them. Or if you want to submit images but are unsure then simply PM me.

Big thanks to iWasAdam who has volunteered to put the magazine together. I have seen the mockup designs and they are superbly retro magazine looking.

Also thanks to GaborD who has agreed to do the graphics for the front cover.

Deadline for submissions is December the 10th so the elves have enough time to work their magic.

It'll be great to have a cool SyntaxBomb Christmas magazine so whatever you want to contribute no matter how small / big please contribute as I think this could be a yearly great bit of fun ;D
Until the next time...

Offline iWasAdam

Re: SyntaxBomb Christmas Magazine #1 - We need you!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 07:30:13 AM »
And just to get everyone in the mood here's a (super secret) sneak peek (Cant tell you want it is or Mr Big will send the boys round):

So if you have any memories of the Spectrum or C64 or VCS or want to do something else completely random but syntaxBomb related, then Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimme....

Offline Dabz

• Is it cos I is ginger?
    • dabzy.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 04:51:07 PM »
I'm in!!! Will forward every to Adam as I go... this should be fun!!! 👍👍👍

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 08:51:20 PM »
I do like the sound of this. See what I can come up with once I drag this game out of the door, kicking and screaming. Bloody insects!! :)

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 10:07:05 PM »
I'm also in...... :D

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 05:10:00 AM »
More the merrier ;D - It doesn't have to be long or in-depth ( unless you want it to be ) but it'd be great if as many members as possible could contribute to the SyntaxBomb Christmas Magazine.

Pick from any of the categories from the 1st post or even come up with something of your own, let us know your favourite memories growing up, first experiences with computers, nightmare coding moments, favourite game ( and why ), best Christmas story ( or joke ). Main thing is to contribute so we can all have a great read of our 1st magazine over Christmas \o/

Those who don't contribute something will be banned :P - so no excuses not to contribute something small or big ;D
Until the next time...

Online Steve Elliott

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 07:12:05 AM »
I nominate Stevie G to write something on particle effects.   ;D
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Mojave, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.1, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
Raspbian Buster, pi4 4Gb RAM,1.5Ghz

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 08:04:01 AM »
Those who don't contribute something will be banned :P - so no excuses not to contribute something small or big

A great motivator  ;D ;D :))

Offline Jayenkai

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 04:43:30 PM »
I wish you all the best with this project.  I already do a weekly newsletter at SoCoder, so I've not much time to contribute anything of significance, but ..  depending on how you're aiming to do this, you might like some retro styled gaudy magazine backgrounds for each page.  (I'm thinking Amiga Power and those kinds)

If you head over to my Sprite Generator, in Plain Texture mode, click Subtle, and render at 1024, you might find a few of the results to be somewhat handy to use as backgrounds.
..  assuming you're doing this as a great big pdf, and not just a plain text thing.
*shrugs*

Good luck!

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 06:35:45 PM »
See super secret pics above for what it looks like, plus it’s style  8)