SyntaxBomb Christmas Magazine #1 - We need you!

Started by Qube, October 07, 2019, 07:02:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

Let's start a new tradition of making a yearly magazine full of contributions from our esteemed members.

Those who would like to contribute to our 1st Christmas magazine simply need to PM iWasAdam ( do not post in this thread so the content is super secret hush hush ) with any of the following ( pick one or more, it's up to you ) :

• Memories of your 1st computer. Why it was so special and why it still holds a place in your heart.
  • Memories of visiting the arcade as a kid..
  • What projects you are working on now.
  • What have you learned from previous projects you've worked on.
  • Your favourite retro game and why you still go back to it.
  • A devlog from any projects you've done / working on. What worked / What didn't / What did you learn etc.
  • Awesome code example / tips / tricks etc.
  • What your favourite Christmas present was.
  • What you always wanted for Christmas but never got.
  • What is your favourite Christmas memory.
  • Christmas jokes.
  • Or anything you think will be great for the magazine. It doesn't have to be a topic from above, just contribute.
Also don't worry about spelling / language barrier etc as the most important thing is content as written by you :)

If your contribution has images then use the img tag and iWasAdam will download them. Or if you want to submit images but are unsure then simply PM me.

Big thanks to iWasAdam who has volunteered to put the magazine together. I have seen the mockup designs and they are superbly retro magazine looking.

Also thanks to GaborD who has agreed to do the graphics for the front cover.

Deadline for submissions is December the 10th so the elves have enough time to work their magic.

It'll be great to have a cool SyntaxBomb Christmas magazine so whatever you want to contribute no matter how small / big please contribute as I think this could be a yearly great bit of fun ;D

Confirmed who are submitting :

( updated 2019-11-26 )

Qube
iWasAdam
Dabz
Xerra
3DzForMe
MrmediamanX
RemiD
bsisko
Steve Elliott
STEVIE G

Our 1st magazine is complete and published. Thanks to all who submitted and a special thanks to iWasAdam who did a fantastic job of putting the magazine together.

Show me the online Flipbook Version
Download the PDF version
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

And just to get everyone in the mood here's a (super secret) sneak peek (Cant tell you want it is or Mr Big will send the boys round):

So if you have any memories of the Spectrum or C64 or VCS or want to do something else completely random but syntaxBomb related, then Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimme....

Dabz

I'm in!!! Will forward every to Adam as I go... this should be fun!!!
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Xerra

I do like the sound of this. See what I can come up with once I drag this game out of the door, kicking and screaming. Bloody insects!! :)
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

3DzForMe

BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Qube

More the merrier ;D - It doesn't have to be long or in-depth ( unless you want it to be ) but it'd be great if as many members as possible could contribute to the SyntaxBomb Christmas Magazine.

Pick from any of the categories from the 1st post or even come up with something of your own, let us know your favourite memories growing up, first experiences with computers, nightmare coding moments, favourite game ( and why ), best Christmas story ( or joke ). Main thing is to contribute so we can all have a great read of our 1st magazine over Christmas \o/

Those who don't contribute something will be banned :P - so no excuses not to contribute something small or big ;D
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

I nominate Stevie G to write something on particle effects.   ;D
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

3DzForMe

QuoteThose who don't contribute something will be banned :P - so no excuses not to contribute something small or big

A great motivator  ;D ;D :))

Jayenkai

I wish you all the best with this project.  I already do a weekly newsletter at SoCoder, so I've not much time to contribute anything of significance, but ..  depending on how you're aiming to do this, you might like some retro styled gaudy magazine backgrounds for each page.  (I'm thinking Amiga Power and those kinds)

If you head over to my Sprite Generator, in Plain Texture mode, click Subtle, and render at 1024, you might find a few of the results to be somewhat handy to use as backgrounds.
..  assuming you're doing this as a great big pdf, and not just a plain text thing.
*shrugs*

Good luck!
"Load, Next List"

iWasAdam

See super secret pics above for what it looks like, plus it's style  8)

MrmediamanX

It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

Qube

Until the next time.

3DzForMe

Is the deadline Christmas Eve, a week before Christmas or ..... ;)

iWasAdam

Dabz

I've submitted a few pages, but writing more as and when I have a minute... Work is just mental and when I get in I'm like "Humph" and just slouch! :D

I will get there, I know I dont need loads which is good, and my main piece is done, so... Yeah, just chipping away! ;)

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit