Best BASIC iteration

Started by Pfaber11, October 05, 2019, 11:38:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfaber11

So just wondering which iteration of Basic over the years was your favorite . For me it is AGK classic and I've tried about 10 of them . The reason it's my favorite is it's just so easy to use don't get me wrong I'm no expert but I can get the job done with it , in what I've tried anyway. Mind you my games are pretty simple so far . My next favorite has to be STOS on the Atari 520STe . That was great fun and I think it was made by the same people who write pure basic now. Fantaisier or something. I would really like to get on with pure basic but I don't which is a shame . I also like Blitz3D and this is free now . It really works well for me in that it understands what I'm typing . Had a brief fling with Visual basic express edition some 12 years ago but found it to not be to my liking . I was trying to write games in it and found it to be pretty useless but that's just my opinion.
    Happy coding
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

GaborD

For me NB and AGK in the modern days and Blitz3D in the old days.
Due to NB never reaching a stable release, AGK wins in the end. :)

RemiD

blitzbasic is the best imo, easy to understand and concise, no unecessary bullshit 8)

i had planned to try nuclear basic language / engine, but apparently it disappeared...

i was intrigued by freebasic, because there was a wrapper for openb3d (or minib3d ?), but never took the time to try it...

Steve Elliott

Nuclear BASIC by a mile.  The amazing speed and the clean simple syntax were spot on, a real shame it was abandoned.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Talking BASIC only :

For 2D games I'd say AGK as it's so easy to learn and it's one that I've had the most fun with.

For apps then Visual BASIC which I've liked since VB 3 and VB.net ( still using Visual Studio 2015 ) as when coding Windows apps that need good integration with the MS ecosystem then .net pretty much has everything you'll need built in to that framework.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

3DzForMe

Sorry Qube, I just couldn't take to VB for actual gaming, I'd two door stop VB6 reference manuals. VB is great for front end stuff, prefer Blitz for good old game engine stuff. 8)

Even studied VB.net at college in my mid thirties, on a HNC BIT course, scored 96 percent in one exam, the examiners left a lib out, I wrote my own to make up for it!

Blitz 3D still does it all for me, can't see it changing soon. This old dogs getting a bit long in the tooth for new tricks;
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Qube

Quote from: 3DzForMe on October 05, 2019, 20:08:12
Sorry Qube, I just couldn't take to VB for actual gaming.
Oh God no way would I use VB for gaming either :o strictly applications only.
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

RemiD

This old dogs getting a bit long in the tooth for new tricks
wtf does this mean ? ??? an english expression i suppose ?

Dabz

Of course it can only be Locomotive BASIC, the one that started it all for me!
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Qube

Quote from: RemiD on October 05, 2019, 21:51:45
This old dogs getting a bit long in the tooth for new tricks
wtf does this mean ? ??? an english expression i suppose ?
getting a bit long in the tooth

Until the next time.

Naughty Alien

..NB/NF, and now PB, only because NB/NF are gone..

I mean, look at this simplicity and straightforward approach..functions inside types and so on...real B3D V2...pitty it went away...ihh

Pfaber11

Naughty Alien have you gone down the pure basic route . I looked at it myself briefly but just didn't take to it . I took a look at free basic as well but with things like AGK on the market what's the point . Don't think free basic will handle 3d and pure basic can't do Android etc. I would of liked to of learnt pure basic but without a good book it would take me too long I think. Anyway was I right in thinking  PB is pure basic . please let me know how you get on with PB . Happy coding.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

3DzForMe

@Dabz:

Quotethe original BlitzBasic for PC, the PC Floormat one... when i found that on the cover disc, and started using it, it just took me back to the 80's and reignited the programming fire I had one my Amstrad... it was an absolute joyous time!!!
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Naughty Alien

@PFaber11
..i found it very appealing because, it allows me to do industrial grade software as well, where a robust serial communication can be made with it and at same time 3D allows me to do machine visual preview , and so on..i did used B4J for this sort of things before (minus 3D graphics side)..as for 3D games side of things, after i went trough all examples, i can confidently say that its far ahead of AGK in 3D aspect..its basically a complete 3D engine (OGRE) embedded and works very well..long as desktops are game development target, its hard to see other software competing with flexibility/power of PB..i think its worth to give it a try..

MikeHart

@NaughtyAlien: how is its development going on atm? Some time ago i read some post from Fred that he moved to Poland and the PB development might slow down a lot.
One thing i wish for would be ability to theme/skin a whole app. In that regard nothing beats Python with QT5.