July 03, 2020, 02:25:46 PM

Author Topic: MacOS Catalina 64bit apps ONLY!!!  (Read 3172 times)

Offline MikeHart

• Whitesky Games
Re: MacOS Catalina 64bit apps ONLY!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 12:36:14 PM »
Just did the deed and upgraded to Catalina  :o

First report:
Everything went completely smoothy and very quickly. With all 64bit apps fully operational after upgrade including all dev systems.
32bit apps now have a cross through them do denote they are no longer supported.

So. It was painful for me at this end.
OS now going though the system and re-catalogue the system.

I lost one app that was dear to me (Scrivener 2.x) , but the rest I am fine with. BMax and Bmax-NG doesn't work for me anymore also, glad I created the launcher before.

Offline Derron

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2019, 02:53:51 PM »
Raise an issue for NG ... best of course if you have a specific error message or so

bye
Ron

Offline Steve Elliott

• elgol
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2019, 06:44:02 PM »
Just did the deed and upgraded to Catalina  :o

First report:
Everything went completely smoothy and very quickly. With all 64bit apps fully operational after upgrade including all dev systems.
32bit apps now have a cross through them do denote they are no longer supported.

Thanks for the info...Although I thought we agreed to let Qube jump first?    ;D
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Catalina, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.3, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
Raspberry pi 3 and 4.

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2019, 06:59:15 PM »
Thanks for the info...Although I thought we agreed to let Qube jump first?    ;D
Pfft! not a chance :P - It'll be a month or two yet before I even think about blanking the drive and reloading everything from fresh. It due a total fresh install and will take a full day to get everything back to normal  :o
Until the next time...

Offline Steve Elliott

• elgol
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2019, 07:02:20 PM »
blanking the drive and reloading everything from fresh

I thought it was simply an upgrade?...Why are you being so extreme lol?   :o
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Catalina, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.3, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
Raspberry pi 3 and 4.

Offline MikeHart

• Whitesky Games
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2019, 07:58:42 PM »
Cerberus X waits for noone  :D

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2019, 08:08:59 PM »

Because I’ve not had a fresh install for 9 years ( something like that ) as I’ve just kept on upgrading on top so I’m due a proper fresh install :)
Until the next time...

Offline Steve Elliott

• elgol
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2019, 08:38:39 PM »

Cerberus X waits for noone  :D

Of course, if you're a Mac Developer you can't let your Mac Customers down.   :D

Because I’ve not had a fresh install for 9 years ( something like that ) as I’ve just kept on upgrading on top so I’m due a proper fresh install :)

9 years?!  Ok, then that makes sense.  I received a High Sierra version of Mac OS when I bought the MacBook Pro - and upgraded to Mojave when it became available.  So I'm not in upgrade upon upgrade upon upgrade territory.
Raspberry pi 3 and 4.

Offline Ray

• My blog
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2019, 04:53:42 AM »
I just upgraded, everything works! Lucky me :P

Offline imaginaryhuman

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2019, 08:11:31 PM »
So I just did the Catalina update. A whole bunch of favorite 32-bit stuff is now dead including many games. Most of the steam games also no longer work on 32-bit. Had to reinstall several apps that HAD catalina support but many don't.

Anyway... BlitzMax NG is no longer working for me. It says that OS X couldn't verify the 'bcc' app and so it's not allowed to be run.

Has a catalina-compatible version of NG been released yet?

Offline Derron

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2019, 09:37:54 PM »
Edit: removed and replied in the NG thread.

bye
Ron

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2020, 08:57:13 PM »
Time to take the plunge and upgrade to Catalina :-\

Fresh clean install of everything due to having cloned and updated MacOS for years so it's due a fresh install. I hope this isn't going to cost much if I need new licenses for old software :o - Plus cleanly restoring 10,000's of emails since 2009 + dozens of MAMP sites with MySQL + settings and configurations for God knows what I've forgotten about :P

Fingers crossed and hope to see you on the other side soon ;D
Until the next time...

Offline MikeHart

• Whitesky Games
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2020, 08:04:21 AM »
Did it work out?

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2020, 09:29:29 AM »
Did it work out?
Nope :( Catalina installed just fine but transferring all the needed stuff and setting up would've taken a lot longer than hoped so it was a case of screw it for now and SuperDuper'd from a backup. I'll dive in again once I've got a couple of days spare as there is heaps to sort out for work. Shame I just can't install Catalina,  AGK, a few graphic and music apps and be done with it :P
Until the next time...

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2020, 10:51:57 AM »
Been running Catalina for a few months now. Most of the stuff I use has been updated for it on the app side but a lot of old games are useless now. That's not a real issue but having to set things up with my games so I can build them with the proper x-code compiler has got a lot harder. Still not got my head around certifying them with Apple so they're marked for automatic quarantine when extracted from a zip file. People then have to do the shell process to unlock them which isn't good for people who don't do technical processes like this. Most people expect apps to just work. At present I have to build with the interpreted runner from Gamemaker 2 which, while not really noticeable, isn't as optimised as the x-code method.

When i look into setting them all up to certify with Apple it just does my nut in.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal