Pure Basic

Started by Pfaber11, October 02, 2019, 11:22:28

Previous topic - Next topic

RemiD

if i remember correctly, there is a ogre3d wrapper for blitz3d...

so in this case what would be the advantage of using purebasic ?

the syntax seems more complicated to not do much more (for games)

Pfaber11

yes but I'm getting into it . My next project isn't going to be a game although I could do it with AGK I'm gonna try and do it in PB . gonna give myself a month or two to hopefully get to grips with it . I'm at the stage where I'm putting graphics on the screen . I think it's gonna probably take me 3 months to get reasonably competent . Maybe longer. Happy coding
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Pfaber11

I still intend to keep using AGK2 Classic for my Android projects and if I'm releasing it on Android I may as well release it on PC as well . I think PB is a very interesting language . Can't wait to start on the 3d stuff but that is for the future .
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .

Pfaber11

@Remid  Well I'm looking for a language to code programs of different types that can also be used for 3d games and 2d for that matter and out of the handful I've looked at recently PB ticks more boxes . I've started writing a book and taking notes on all the things I need to remember I did this with python too and think this is the way to go , just something to jog my memory when required . I do think AGK classic is very good but I wouldn't want to write a database or some business program in it . You probably can but I don't think it would be an ideal solution. I'm after a good all round programming language. And I know it doesn't make much difference but PB compiles to machine code  and for me that is a plus also. I'm hoping to release something in Pure Basic by Christmas . We'll see. Everything is going ok right now hit a few snags but with a bit of help from the excellent people on here I've made progress .
  You know the language does appear a bit more complicated but I think for things like internet access , and interfacing and probably a load of other things PB wins . specifically I don't know all the benefits but I've been lead to believe there are quite a few . You know if Blitz 3D was being worked on and regularly updated I probably wouldn't of moved onto AGK. and now onto PB. Just hope they keep at it and don't drop it in 12 months as I'm just getting into it . Speed wise so far as moving a sprite on screen there doesn't seem to be much in it between AGK and PB . There we have it . Bonjour.

RemiD

(i was asking naughty alien)

Pfaber11

@Naughty Alien
Very nice graphics indeed. Hope to be trying out the 3D OGRE stuff very soon . Now playing with sprites and all is good that I've tried . Got sprites on the screen and detecting hits no problem . Might just write a flappy bird type game to get started . Really glad I took this path now. Thanks to all those that have pointed me in the right direction. I'm picking PB up faster than I thought I would . Have a nice evening .

Naughty Alien

@RemiD
..well..very simple reason really..PB is developed product and regularly updated, including embedded 3D engine, which is desktop wise, cross platform, and that is exactly what im looking for. Syntax is something , simple to live with by just adopting specifics of it and using only what i need to achieve my goal. Its rather small comfort price to pay, compared to use of dated system such as B3D with some external libs, which is not in development anymore. Its simply headache free and actively developed product, and thats very important to me.

GaborD

Agree to that, it's an important thing for me too.
I will have to try PB. If their 3D implementation is flexible enough to allow hooking into the underbelly of rendering it could be a great choice.

Naughty Alien

..underlying engine is Ogre3D, which i think, you will not have an issue to play with, considering showcase of what is achievable with it..

https://www.ogre3d.org/showcase

MikeHart

So far i only could find info that its developer Fred is not working much on PB anymore, that he switched country and is working a regular job. Does anyone have contrary info?

Pfaber11

Damn that's not good news . just hope they keep on supporting it or maybe it's been out that long it's a finished product .

Steve Elliott

That's the problem when people use a 'free updates for life' business model.  Eventually they run out of money and quit.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

RemiD

@Naughty Alien>>ok, that's what i wanted to clarify, with blitz3d + a ogre3d wrapper (+ ogre3d external lib) or with blitz3d + a irrlicht wrapper (+irrlicht lib), you can most likely achieve the same renders... (since the 3d engine would be the same)

(i am not interested to use such functionalities, just curious)

Naughty Alien

Quote from: MikeHart on October 11, 2019, 08:02:11
So far i only could find info that its developer Fred is not working much on PB anymore, that he switched country and is working a regular job. Does anyone have contrary info?

..do you mind to share source of this information? I couldn't find anything on forum.

Coder Apprentice

I think Fred having a "day job" happened many years ago. Actually he switched a couple of times between full time PB development and having a day job during PureBasic development. There is a fluctuation in the frequency of updates but if there is one thing you can say about PureBasic that it never went away or morphed into another product. It has been around for 19 years. If there is any serious show stopper bug that usually gets a fast maintenance update.