Pure Basic

Started by Pfaber11, October 02, 2019, 11:22:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Naughty Alien

..yes..from what i have seen on forums, it seems Freed working like this since 2012, if im not mistaken, and it is nothing new about that, which also explains lifetime update license..after all its 21 years old language already, and i guess, guys in development does some work for a living somewhere else, and spending their free time developing PB and getting some money for it, which is fine..i dont think PB is going anywhere any time soon..

Pfaber11

That's cool I like to think it'll be around for a good while yet . Seem to be taking to it pretty well I dare say I may hit the odd stumbling block but that is to be expected. How long have you been using PB Naughty Alien and how have you found it compared to other languages like AGK and blitz3D . I'm finding it easier than python which I sunk 6 weeks into only to find it was not my thing and packed it in . It's gonna take a few weeks for me to be producing stuff like I was with AGK but I quite like the challenge . It took me six weeks to produce my first game with AGK classic and it was really crap. My second and third efforts improved  and every game I've made since has steadily gotten better . My next creation is going to be different in that it will not be a game although some may look at it as a bit of fun . By the way my first game with AGK is not available for download . It really was very bad .
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Naughty Alien

..well..to me PB is conceptually identical to B3D...solid, embedded 3D engine, with also 2D commands so, you can develop whatever you like, all in one package, without installing anything outside of default installer. Difference with B3D is that it came with also embedded GUI designer, so if you creating apps or anything which require GUI, you have it all ready, which was not case with B3D (or any BRL languages for that matter, as you needed some external libs to make things pleasing to work with)...speed wise, it is far ahead from B3D and AGK and its very much in same ballpark with NB/NF, from what i was able to see. For folks who are after 3D games, is not subject of thinking, considering that underlying engine is well proven modern Ogre3D. Export tools needed for Ogre3D are widely available and very stable. What used to be an issue for me before (exporting geometry/animations from 3dsmax), is breeze now with very well built exporters, which exports not just geometry but also materials and so on. PB is really nice refresh. Everything works as advertised, which is not case if we talk about AGK(3D wise). For B3D apart from dated 3D engine, you are limited to windows only, while PB target all desktops, seamlessly. After all, language is 21 years in development, so that says a lot. I agree with RemiD that syntax is a bit awkward, but to me thats small matter as benefits overweighting shortcomings massively..

Pfaber11

Done a bit with sounds today pretty straight forward. Much the same as AGK . I got the basics down to write a little 2D game. Well happy with my progress. On day five and I'm taking my time. Had some useful pointers off some of the guys on here. . Anyway have a nice day.
  Got a fair bit done today and my little program is running sweet now. was having flickering text but have sorted that. All running very smoothly now and how I wanted it . Not sure how to set the FPS yet but will be looking into that tomorrow. I'm breaking it down into little chunks and learning a bit at a time while building my hello world program with graphics and sound .
If anybody knows how to set the FPS I would appreciate a nudge in the right direction.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz