..WIN 7 after january..

Started by Naughty Alien, October 01, 2019, 14:10:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Naughty Alien

..im not sure how many of you folks, using W7..so im wondering, whats your plan after january?? Still staying with W7 and if so, what would be a concern (safety and updates wise)..

Kryzon

I went from Windows XP to Windows 8.1, and personally I feel that all the rage people have for it is undeserved.
Win 8.1 is awesome, while a bit different than Win 7 you can make the switch without concern.

RemiD

windows 7 is quite stable, so i have no reason to change... btw i have 0 windows updates installed, and it has been like this for years... and i have no problem at all...
i use microsoft security essentials + another anti malwares + virustotal.com, i try to always analyze an unknown EXE before launching it, and for navigation on the web i use "iron" (similar to "chrome" but without the google tracking) and "opera" and "epic" (for risky websites)

no worry on my side, but yeah time flies...

Dabz

I just move along with each major revision, on the premise that that will be the one worked on the most in terms of security/features... Yeah, its sometimes annoying when they hide stuff or change stuff that interrupts a perfectly good work flow when zipping about the OS.

But, meh, as long as my programs still work, then, I'm happy!

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Amon

I always upgrade when MS releases a new Windows version. Windows 7 is done with. It's old, dated and slower than Windows 10 by a large amount. Windows 7 also suffers from lag and corruption the more the months that go buy since it was installed. It has clutter issues that eventually mean you need to reinstall.

Windows 10 doesn't suffer this. Just dump Windows 7 and move on, you won't regret it.

Naughty Alien

@Amon

Im not sure i have experienced any of issues listed, and i use W7 workstation intensively (3dsmax/Solidworks/FreeCad simulations, which are very processing heavy)..do you mind to elaborate a bit issues mentioned?

RemiD

Windows 7 also suffers from lag and corruption the more the months that go buy since it was installed. It has clutter issues that eventually mean you need to reinstall.
what are you talking about ? can you explain with more details ? my datas don't seem corrupted at all... i have one hardrive, and i backup on 4 external usb / sd disks, and i check the size (in octets) after each copy, no problem so far, and i have been using this computer for 7-8 years...

Kippykip

Quote from: Amon. on October 01, 2019, 20:36:52
I always upgrade when MS releases a new Windows version. Windows 7 is done with. It's old, dated and slower than Windows 10 by a large amount. Windows 7 also suffers from lag and corruption the more the months that go buy since it was installed. It has clutter issues that eventually mean you need to reinstall.

Windows 10 doesn't suffer this. Just dump Windows 7 and move on, you won't regret it.
Lmao no it doesn't, not at all. Maybe if you had the pre-beta release then maybe?
Ironically I've had to reinstall Windows 10 more often due to the forced updates breaking hardware/the boot process or having the start menu suddenly broken and not able to open at all.
The only major complaint I have with Windows 7 is it's Aero theme doesn't like being captured by software very well, OBS and Discord chug out. This can be worked around with by switching to the basic/classic theme, but when doing that ALL windowed applications have VSync broken/forced off. Fullscreen ones are fine, but this results in a lot of tearing in the web browser. etc. This was an issue in Vista too apparently.

That vsync/capture issue alone can be worth the upgrade depending on your workload, but I  still have a lot of annoyances with 10 but overtime I've found workarounds:
Windows 10 LTSB - Stripped down version of Windows 10 without the metro store/ad bloat intended for ATMS/medical stuff. Saves you the headache of uninstalling and typing a bunch of powershell commands to remove that crap. However acquiring this build is very difficult legally, best bet is to find a torrent which depends on your morals.
WinAeroTweaker - Has a tonne of deleted settings such as fully disabling UAC, or Windows Defender/Updates etc as well as other stuff such as disabling ad tracking if you're one of those paranoid peeps, or re-enabling Windows 7 photoviewer (Windows 10 LTSB doesn't include the Photos app, so this is kind of necessary)/calculator/games/taskmanager etc.
OpenShell - A updated fork of ClassicShell which is an absolute must have!)

I'm planning on making a tutorial on how to make Windows 10 a more classic windows kind of experience using the tools I mentioned above, since having to upgrade will be inevitable soon.

Steve Elliott

I just move along with each major revision, on the premise that that will be the one worked on the most in terms of security/features.

Yeah, same here.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

RemiD

quick look at the steam store hardware stats, and windows 7 is worth supporting a few more months/years :
store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

it is funny how many, in the past, have predicted the end of windows os, and how it is still used by many. (for desktop / laptop computers)

so minimum hardware i would support, at this time, would be :
windows 7
dual core 1.5ghz (+- 0.1ghz, not really important...)
4gb sram
1gb vram
1024x768

GaborD

My old computer for testing if stuff runs on toasters still has win7, not too worried about it to be honest, nothing sensitive on it.
In any case, Win7 worked great for me, that rig is many years old, never needed to reinstall or anything and it's still stable.