January 28, 2020, 02:53:39 PM

Author Topic: AGK2 vs Pure Basic  (Read 6278 times)

Offline Pfaber11

• Bonjour
    • FABERSGAMES
Re: AGK2 vs Pure Basic
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2019, 01:47:51 PM »
Yes I see your point steve the code once deploy everywhere is a real plus for AGK . I've got 3 of my games on my phone how cool is that. The PB is coming along nicely gonna check out the sound today . Trying to learn a couple of new things a day and I think after a few few weeks I'll be doing good . so far got sprites on the screen detecting collisions and text. I think this is day 4 so not bad . When I originally looked at PB a few months ago it looked too complex to me but now getting into it am really enthusiastic . I tried an If Then bit of code to be told you can't do that . I take it Then isn't in it's vocabulary. Not that it really matters . Fantasia say there are over 1400 commands in PB so I should imagine they've got all the bases covered . AGK has loads as well but don't know how many. Have a nice day and yes you guessed it Happy coding .
Celeron N3060 1.6 ghz duel core  4 Gb ram 32 gig storage  HD400 Graphics 160 gig external hard drive....

Offline Kris

« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2019, 04:02:21 PM »
You're welcome, glad it worked for you!

What I liked about Pure BASIC is it's very fast and produces a small exe.  You can produce application software with it (Windows, menus and such) as well as games.  What I didn't like was the very wordy syntax, like DisplayTransparentSprite(), old fashioned syntax with having to use StartDrawing and StopDrawing blocks and it's Windows only.

What's windows only? PureBasic? It's Win32/64, OSX, and Linux.

Offline Steve Elliott

• elgol developer
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2019, 05:09:53 PM »
That's true, I was thinking of Nuclear BASIC.  As you say, Pure BASIC does indeed run on Windows, Mac OS and Linux.
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Catalina, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.2, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
Raspberry pi 3 and 4

Offline Pfaber11

• Bonjour
    • FABERSGAMES
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2019, 12:16:25 PM »
Well I've had 17 days learning PureBasic and I have come to the conclusion they both have their merits . Pure Basic is much faster and if speed is king this is the thing . Just such a shame it doesn't do Android like AGK2 . The style of the syntax is very similar in some ways but also different . I think PB is just as easy to learn as AGK2 and it comes with many good examples to learn from . Happy coding .

Celeron N3060 1.6 ghz duel core  4 Gb ram 32 gig storage  HD400 Graphics 160 gig external hard drive....

Offline Pfaber11

• Bonjour
    • FABERSGAMES
« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2019, 07:31:41 PM »
 You know I've come to the conclusion that no computer language is easy and programming is an extremely  skillful thing to be able to do . The Game Creators say that AGK is simple to learn but I think it depends what level of programming you are talking about . It's all pretty tricky if you ask me and you've gotta be dedicated . I've been at this on the pc for 2 years now and my programs have improved immensely but I'm not exactly about to produce the next GTA5 . Dug out my first pc game written in Blitz3D . It runs fine on my desktop but for some reason it won't run properly on my laptop . It crashes after a while which is a shame and the score doesn't update properly . Still there you go . It's not too bad either . The second game I wrote in AGK2 and it is really terrible . The worst excuse for a game I've ever seen ,no fault of AGK2 but very poor programming. But there you go you've got to start somewhere . Really hoping to produce something worthwhile in 2020 using PureBasic or at least finish what I'm currently working on . Merry Christmas and a Happy and Productive new year.