How Many using AGK

Started by Pfaber11, September 27, 2019, 07:32:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfaber11

Any body got any figures on how many people are using  AGK . I'm just curious. It's got to be in the thousands . I should imagine it would be similar to the amount of members on the tgc forum.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

blinkok

I think it's just me. Me and you tops ;-)

Pfaber11

Well that's 2 any more out there? I was just curious as to what sort of money TGC were making . I'm pretty sure they must be doing ok but how well is what I would like to know . Really just being nosey .
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .

Xaron

Well it seems to be enough to employ some people. But I think it's a pretty hard business and unlikely to become better especially now as the big tools like Unity are for free basically.

MikeHart

Quote from: Xaron on September 27, 2019, 12:06:11
Well it seems to be enough to employ some people. But I think it's a pretty hard business and unlikely to become better especially now as the big tools like Unity are for free basically.

And still there commercial tools out there who target the beginners and more artist people. Construct3, GameMaker.

3DzForMe

If B3D stops working / meeting my requirements AGK is first on my list - have tried unity briefly, but AGK seems closer to B3D for me. I just don't have the time to dedicate to a new language at the mo.

AGK does seem very capable though, if I win the lottery - thus freeing up more time - I'll have a play ;)
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Pfaber11

I was using B3D for a couple of months before getting AGK classic. I can recommend AGK and think it is excellent. I didn't have much programming experience when I  was using B3D but did get on with it and completed a couple of programs with it. For the first couple of months I found AGK hard going but once I got accustomed to it found it to be really good.

RemiD

from what i have read here and there, Blitz3d seems to allow more low level stuff than AGK, or at least more easily... so for procedural making of stuff, (what i like) Blitz3d is still very good.
not sure how far you can go with AGK, but the more clear (meaningful) and consise is a code, the less you will get lost when it becomes big (and the easier it is to debug)

Qube

I use AGK but no idea how many users there are in total. I would say a decent amount to warrant the updates and the new AGK Studio. Also TGC use AGK for their very popular driving apps in the iOS and Android stores so it's in their best interests to keep it up to date.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

GaborD

Don't forget the huge Steam community. The official site is just a fraction of the users.
SteamSpy gives huge numbers for AGK. Tons sold on Steam.

Naughty Alien

..bought it , but not really using it..im not sure is that counts and how many folks are like that..

3DzForMe

QuoteBlitz3d seems to allow more low level stuff than AGK, or at least more easily... so for procedural making of stuff, (what i like) Blitz3d is still very good.

I concur.... only just getting a handle on Sprites. Now.... if I want to clear a Sprite / Hide a Sprite - how do I achieve that......

On the AGK front, I was very impressed with the demo code I tried, however there seemed to be a similar thing that I experienced when using the JV-ODE physics lib with Blitz 3D whereby things were double / half their size programtically instead of visually.

I'm sure I just needed to give it more time - however - I'm, getting short on that these days. Time really does fly as you get older....

Derron

Quote from: GaborD on September 28, 2019, 04:50:25
Don't forget the huge Steam community. The official site is just a fraction of the users.
SteamSpy gives huge numbers for AGK. Tons sold on Steam.

You talk about "Studio" or "Classic"? Classic was free for some days - and this is the time for people to "claim" it - without necessarily using it.

bye
Ron

Dabz

Quoteif I want to clear a Sprite / Hide a Sprite - how do I achieve that......

SetSpriteVisible(SPRITE_ID,0)

Look at SetSpriteActive() if you want to stop any animations etc while they are hiding.

Heres a link to the docs:-

https://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/commands.html

Worth a pour over if your stuck, as I found most of the time any answers to questions I had were in there!

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

3DzForMe

My bad, this was advice request for blitz3d, for noww I'm kinda cheating to 'hide' sprites.