My Mac has thrown a major wobble

Started by Qube, September 24, 2019, 02:02:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

Tonight I had a WiFi crash and then the Internet stopped working. I rebooted and half way through it kept rebooting with a message saying "there was a problem" :(

I booted from an old backup and repaired the drive but that made no difference. I tried safe mode and resetting the smc and PRAM but that didn't work either.

I then booted off the backup drive and that started to crash during boot so now I'm quite worried that my stupidly expensive Mac has a hardware error :o

Currently reinstalling MacOS over the top which I hope doesn't screw up my data as I've not backed up work in the last week.

If it's faulty that means shelling out a heap of cash to replace it. Hopefully a reinstall will fix it but I'm concerned that the backup drive also began to fail.

Fingers crossed - most important thing is to backup the last weeks worth of work as that's more important than having to buy a new Mac. I know I should do it daily and I have time machine running all the time for that but I just hope I don't have the hassle of having to buy a new Mac and redo the whole setup.

35 minutes remaining apparently. Off to watch the progress bar :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Coder Apprentice

Hopefully everything will go back to normal. Wish you luck.

Qube

\o/\o/\o/ All up and working again with no data loss \o/\o/\o/

Phew!! thank fudge for that. Booting into the repair partition and reinstalling fixed the issue and everything appears to be back to normal. Checked all the usual stuff and all apps work and there is no issues with data on the main hard drive. I've also done a mirror backup just incase which completed all OK.

Can't really complain as I've been using the same MacOS since 2009 and just updating it through different versions + cloning it to newer Mac's.

So 10 years of OS updates and cloning with now one reinstall of MacOS over the top with nothing lost. I guess a decade of doing that is pretty good going. Perhaps I should really blank it off and rebuild but I think I'll wait and see how it goes ;D
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

GaborD

Phew indeed! Good to hear you could recover everything.

iWasAdam

yep. I've had odd crashes periodically, but always been able to recover and restart within a minute. Glad to hear it's all working again... Phew!

Steve Elliott

That must be such a relief!  Glad things turned out ok.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Pfaber11

I tend to save and backup once a day when I'm working on something . Had a crash around Christmas time and lost everything . Nothing too precious but now I back up at least once a day onto flash drives . Luckily the programs themselves were on itch.io so at least I still have them but the agc files are lost forever . I also back up to an external hard drive . so at any one time I have 3 copies of all finished projects and projects still being worked on. Anyway I'd say you got off lightly my windows ten screwed up doing a major software update from Microsoft . Had to do a clean install and that was that .
Happy coding .
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

MikeHart

Glad you got it working. The problems I had on my Imac back then, was heat problems and a failing DVD drive. These days the Imac runs Linux Mint perfectly (minus DVD drive) and a Mac mini provided by a generous soul runs OSX so far just fine. Is that Video by Louis Rossmann?

iWasAdam

@Mike Glad to hear everything's still fully operational  8)

Qube

Yup, very glad it all worked out in the end as I didn't fancy the thought of losing a weeks worth of work or a faulty iMac and having to reinstall everything again. I really should blank it off and reload from fresh as I've not done that in 10 years :P

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

As well as backing up to multiple drives, I do like to also print off my code from time to time.  An old skool backup I guess - plus I find printed code easier to debug at times; away from the computer trying to figure out why something's not working.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Xerra

I'm paranoid as fuck about losing code more than anything else.

I keep all my recent games on Bit Bucket. As well as this there are archives of the project folders stored on the Qnap, Icloud, Dropbox and a couple of USB sticks. Every so often I used to take one of the sticks round my mothers and back up some stuff on her laptop as well.

Can't be too careful. I'm lucky in that neither my old beast of an iMac, the Mac mini or the 2015 iMac I bought a couple of months back have ever failed on me.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Coder Apprentice

Yes, very good to hear that you could get back everything to normal. Loosing work/precious data is indeed very painful.

@Mike Hart: Yeah Louis...:D

Steve, actually that's a very good practice in my opinion. I'll probably pick this habit up also. Even just printing key code parts that's not obvious to recreate could be invaluable. 

Steve Elliott

macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

MikeHart

Quote from: iWasAdam on September 24, 2019, 14:04:00
@Mike Glad to hear everything's still fully operational  8)
Yes it does, thanks to you.

@Kris. I hate the guy and his constant ranting about Apple. Yet he makes a living of Apple products and YT, insulting the company. Hypocrism at its best.