yep. brilliant video and I can confirm it's a bug!  :o

I'll get on to this immediately for you

BasicBoy

Quote from: iWasAdam on October 24, 2019, 08:43:00
yep. brilliant video and I can confirm it's a bug!  :o

I'll get on to this immediately for you

Cheers  :)

Derron

@ 2:40 of the video - the two cakes "on top" (second lane top for example) seem to have taken some drugs - dancing the "shiver dance" :)

Still got no time to really play it (and the other games). Just had a look at the video BasicBoy posted - and recognized you switched the stairs (I blamed in the itch-io devtober thread)

PS: Music "stutters" on Linux when resizing the music - single threaded audio/app processing?
Regarding that text-bug watch the video at 0:10 (on the second text display it then works as expected)

[youtube width=800]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vEu4kMqGOM[/youtube]

@BasicBoy
How did you embed the video "so small" ? Mine always go "full width" here.
ok, just append a "width=mydesiredwidth" to the youtube-bbcode.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

when you resize the windows it stutters - not really something to be worried about - unless you are doing some very funky moves with constantly moving windows - not something I would recommend  :-*

Noted about the text. Technically it's not a 'Bug', it's a '(creature) feature'

Derron

of course it is a bug - if the text is "blinking" while it shouldn't  - so surely allowed to fix within this weeks period.
More interesting of course if it does not happen on Windows - or if the reason for it is some broken logic (assumptions of numeric values...).

Sound stutter: nothing to worry yes, but maybe you want to make your sounds run in a different thread nonetheless? For further applications this helps loosen cpu stress (if there is some), you learn a bit multi threading (if you are not knowing much about it yet) and so on. So nothing strictly limited to this game but a general improvement to your codebase.

If you find the time and motivation somewhen: think about adding some animation to Redds arms. I think it _will_ improve the overall look as it now looks pretty odd when he moves and keeps his arms as if he came from a River Dance Competition or prefers Russian Folk Dances. I understand that you did it that way to keep asset creation time a bit lower yet it breaks "immersion" (the characters movement looks "fake").

@ Redds thoughts
Maybe it is because I am not a native speaker - but some of them are pretty "short" or already "too short" for me to understand properly/safely.

If you want to add localization I would happily translate the strings into German - others might provide French ...

@ how to play and "effects"
When moving over such a pinky "mob" it displayed "+1 live" for a very short moment. While this is appreciable during later levels (when you know almost everything about the game basics) I think in the first level such stuff should be displayed more "elaborative" ... either display it a bit longer or display some help text (like it does in "Super Mario World" on the SNES).
This would help to avoid the "get thrown in" effect one else might feel when playing for the first time.

I understand that older games did not always have such helping-hands approach in their game - and none of us really read the manuals of the game (assuming you had the original game at your hands !). Today people expect a bit more - and it does only cost a bit of developer time to provide that features.
If you think it could annoy people: add a "never show again" option or a generic "disable help" checkbox in the options screen.

For TVTower I can attach to each screen a help text which is displayed when entering the screen the first time. Then I have buttons which are like "close", "do not show again" and the option to disable whole help forever etc.
So adding this to the game means to have people enabled to disable help on each new game (or disable for every game from then on).

@ REDD
I think you should consider having that character in other little games too - would be cool to see a "hero" as recurring element in the competition games or other projects.
Mayb Redd could become a desperado in your space sim, president of "Beaver Island" - where only the most adventurous and hairy uhmm creatures are allowed to live and do trading.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

it's an interesting thought to have Redd appear in other games. My initial thought would be something StarFox...

iWasAdam

ok guys...
HoneyThings has been updated to 1.02 - thanks to everyone who submitted things and bugs :)

https://adamstrange.itch.io/honeythings

Here's a list of changes:

V102
- bugfixes
- audio fixes
- fatal pause with bosses fixed
- honey addition text now onscreen for longer
- chaos lords text starts correctly
- extra life added to first boss

All version have been updated MacOS, Linux and Windows

Steve Elliott

You don't seem to be able to quit the program in fullscreen mode (in Windowed mode you can just click on the close window cross).
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

Once you are addicted to honey you cannot stop anymore / no way to quit "honeying" :)

Seriously: Steve is right - maybe add "Esc"-key to go back to the previous screen and in main screen "Esc" = quit.

@ game hints
While the honey text now moves up and fades out longer - the texts displayed when collecting the swatter and so on ... they are fading out soo fast ... too fast for me to read them properly.
You might have them display a bit longer - and if Redd continues moving you cut the display time a bit (so they fade out sooner if you just "rush through" for knowing all of them.
Also you might fade out more rapidly if another text is to display now.

@ menu items in the main screen
how to reach them during game?
If you leave such a menu subscreen ("exit" - maybe call it "exit XYZ setting") you cannot move Redd for a 3-400 milliseconds.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

agreed, but these things would mean recoding and not bug fixing - strictly not allowed! Chalk it up to a design fault. I designed it not to have a traditional menu. Mea Culpa!

And as for the quit (sorry but I just can't resist this one - hehehe) on Macos cmd+q on Windows alt+f4

Derron

And on Linux? Depends on the window manager I guess - if it accepts a windows-like "alt+f4".

@ bug fixes
no need to change this stuff during the bugfix period - but fix it for later revisions/versions.

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

QuoteMy initial thought would be something StarFox...
Cool :)
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

iWasAdam

Just got this comment on Itch.io from
https://itch.io/profile/levrault (He's got a neat little dungeon game too)

and thought I'de post it here too (As it was such a great thing)
QuoteWork flawlessly on linux and got a great time with. I got stock at the level where the crate should confuse bear...and yes I was confuse with it.

A great thumb ups for the pixel art, this is gorgeous, it remind me a lot of Jazz Jackrabbit (I don't know why).  Music is great too.

Maybe the only improve I could think of, would be to implement a little tutorial. Even if the visual help a lot to understand, I took me some times to get some of the core gameplay element.

Keep the good work !