MIX-IT-UP Comp Entry - HoneyThings

Started by iWasAdam, September 19, 2019, 11:57:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty

Your chaos Lord reminds me of this Chronopia miniature attached.

iWasAdam

Derron

Devlog-link on the project site links to ... something but leads to the project page.

@ Linux
Wanna build a linux version too? Thought last game was compileable too - so I would test it out and give feedback of whether it runs or not.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

I'll need to do some housekeeping before I can linux compile. Stay tuned...

NomNom.mx2 compiling.

And...
Compiled and upped!  8)

Xerra

Seem to have got myself stuck at the point shown below. Haven't really got a clue what I'm doing but I was trying to use the crates to block those bad guys in.

M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

iWasAdam

Derron

Only had 10 seconds to test (kids!).

Linux version runs.
When going to the "options" part I see

[ ] FullScreen
Exit

Fullscreen line is kind of selected. Pressing "left" or "right" switches into fullscreen but the "[ ]" checkbox is still unchecked. Right/left again and the checkbox becomes checked - and full screen keeps fullscreen. Left/Right again and I am again in windowed mode and the checkbox is correctly unchecked. Left/Right then ... fullscreen plus unchecked checkbox.

title melody (only listened on low volume) was a bit 80s pop ... coincidence to Stranger Things and the current syntaxbomb shoutbox? ;D

Edit: another short start - right into the level (after I splat the pinky thing).
There was the first word "typewriter-effect" added ... then for a short period (100ms or so) the whole text of the "devil" was displayed and then removed again - it then correctly appeared like desired ("typewriter").

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

Why would anybody give any kind of review after only 10 seconds play?!  Take your time dude, and review it properly lol.   :D
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Steve Elliott

Anyway, gorgeous pixel art as usual Adam.  A bit of a quest-like game, so will look forward to seeing what you've come up with gameplay-wise.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

I did not review - just wanted to point out "bugs/issues" as soon as possible - as there was/is still time to fix them before deadline.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Question to all. How has everything operated for you? Did the audio stutter or anything else sound off?

Steve Elliott

No problems with sound here, you could turn off the mouse pointer in full screen mode though.  Will have a proper play and report back any issues.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Xerra

I've had a bit of a play over three sessions and have no problems running it. I did have screen size issues until I remembered that I'm running this Mac in beefed up UI mode due to poor eyesight, so it wasn't a fault of the game. Putting it back to default resolution and the options were available to tinker with correctly. Now you know why I mostly just use 1024*768 because it's workable for me :)

Playing itself I'd say I'm not a fan of the steps at all. I'd prefer to be able to move onto them and press fire to enter. I have a nagging feeling I'm not playing the game right, however, as I seem to lose lives alarmingly regular, when I have the broom in my hand to slap the bad guys. Am I doing something wrong?

I'd like to be able to go through and finish the game just so I'm happy I judged it fairly so a basic idea of what I'm doing wrong would be good, if you don't mind?
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

iWasAdam

LOL, yep, the steps are 'strange'  8)

ok, lets get this started with a post-mortum:
This is my first, so I'll try to do the best I can with it.
Let's start with the things that went well:
1 - First off everything got finished, the game came together and feels more or less cohesive. I am particularly happy with how everything feels like it all connects. the sound feels right, the music, etc.
2 - It took five weeks from start to finish to create everything for the game: graphics, music, sound
3 - It was relatively simple to update all versions of MX2 (the programming language/environment) so that Windows and Linux 'just worked'
4 - The new sound core works perfectly across all platforms with no issues being flagged.
5 - All tools were utilised well and worked well together. This meant I could have the tools open, edit stuff and just run and see the results instantly.

Now let's get dirty and see what things I feel didn't work, or could be improved.
1 - Sound. I'm not happy with the new sound core. I feel that it really need to be stripped and the junk removed and the code tightened up. But I am happy that it all works. That means what I thought could be done, has been proved. Also I am not too happy about file sizes for sequences.
2 - Again I started the project with no real goal, and nearly dumped it halfway through. I am not sure how to approach this one as I have a tendency to create and let the results guide the process.
3 - I am definitely not happy with some of the screen issues with sprites. this is down to the order they are drawn onscreen. In this case it more of what you learn as you code.
4 - Input from others was extremely helpful in tweaking and modifying things. This also helped in having a guiding voice that said "Have you tried this", "Wouldn't it be great if...". Must be able to step back from that voice and filter things otherwise you get nothing done at all.
5 - The mapping tool need some work to get it into shape. there are a lot of rough edges that need fixing - particularly the list code with selections. This needs lots of work to get right!

All in all I am very happy that I could spend much more time with 'the game' rather that 'the tools'. I really enjoyed the graphics, tweaking pixels and finding new ways of working was great. I also enjoyed having the sequencer fully operational so I could listen to tracks while play testing and before the sound was actually put in the game. It's an interesting feeling when all the separate bits and tools all finally come together.

I also have enjoyed seeing how others have approached things. The dev-logs have been inspiring and regardless of how finished the projects are at the end. We all learned something from the process. Brilliant :)

BasicBoy

Quote from: Xerra on October 20, 2019, 12:51:57
Seem to have got myself stuck at the point shown below. Haven't really got a clue what I'm doing but I was trying to use the crates to block those bad guys in.

Quote from: iWasAdam on October 20, 2019, 13:51:35
the key is 'the bad guys'

I've just got 'stuck' twice in the Cakero Disco. The sprites carry on animating (but not moving around), the music continues, but the game doesn't appear to be accepting responding to any input from the keyboard? I can't move!

Here's an unlisted YouTube video I've just uploaded. Skip to about 2:35, the 'non-responsiveness' begins at about 2:44.

If it's not a bug, then I'm probably missing something obvious!  ;D

https://youtu.be/wAMvfz9hggM