MIX-IT-UP Comp Entry - HoneyThings

Started by iWasAdam, September 19, 2019, 11:57:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

Might be the slight choppyness of the animation but I think the flame of the torch is animated a slight bit too fast. Especially with the "jumping" of the flames it does not look as calm as a fire should look ... Also this "jumping" might not be planned at all and is just based on the flame animation sprites not having a smooth "growth" part there (so the bigger flame "jumps in" instead of "growing").

I bet you could even have some particles added to the flame - to make it look less "reptitive".

Regarding animation at all: it seems as the plants are animated continuosly. So animation plays.... and once it reached last frame it starts with at the begin. Maybe you should consider:
- having various animations (mixes of existing frames)
- have kind of random delays between finish of an animation and begin of the next

Why?
- a "oh it suddenly moved" effect compared "yes, it moves the whole time!" is more exciting
- it removes a bit of the "everything moves constantly"-overdose

Some elements might still be animated without delay - like the tentacle. It wants to "come out and play" so no need to delay.  But for the plants there must be a reason for movement ... maybe it is pulsating until it "emerges" (becomes a flesh eating strawberry or so). Means it should begin to animate more frequently until it grows - but so it has to start slowly - anim, 2sec delay, anim, 1.5sec delay, anim, 1sec delay, ... and so on

Do not feel offended by aboves critics - just judging and suggesting stuff by looking at the animated screen you posted. Maybe it does not look "overtoned" while playing.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Derron

Crazy Chris Caramel ?
Fiery Fudge?

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Caraman Bam!  ;D
And he has an inverse logic puzzle

iWasAdam

iWasAdam

nothing to show - phew!  :o

Working on sound integration and debugging  >:(

song plays but doesn't loop correctly. Hmmmm. gimmie that Wasp Spanker! Who's a naughty boy... Don't do it again!

Steve Elliott

Lovely pixel art on those trees...But time is ticking down, will it be completed in time?  :o
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

Here's hoping....   ;D

Good news. music and sound integration complete  8)

One thing I had not thought about was sound levels. But, the sound engine has provision for 2 volume controls per voice and external control inputs. So it was a case of setting all voices to different controls and then I just need to set the controls from the host and it all 'just works!'  :o
It also means I can do some funky fades of music/fx when needed. It's almost like Poke xxx,yy!

Still got option pages and a few more bits and bobs to complete - but I think it will be done....

Qube

Very impressive pixel artwork :o You should do a tutorial on creating such wonders. Not to slow you down or anything :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Maybe that's something Adam could do for the Christmas Magazine Qube?
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

it's the boring bit now...

I'll get the game finished, then can start to think about the Xmas mag :)

iWasAdam

audio options now operational - yay!
Means I'm sorta starting to really do in-depth play testing and balancing.

First thoughts are:
Nice and simple. this is easy.

then.... WTF!

And then my brain starts to melt!

Derron

Don't tell you create the options dialogue from ground on - instead of reusing bits and bytes from your other projects / existing "framework".

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

yep, just a few hours work - hehehehe  8)

Doing some important cross-compile tests now.
And... Oops! Let's change the code and try again.

Xerra

Quote from: Derron on October 14, 2019, 21:29:27
Don't tell you create the options dialogue from ground on - instead of reusing bits and bytes from your other projects / existing "framework".

I was reading a post by a veteran coder today on twitter who says reusing code is less common than you might think. Sometimes it's less hassle to just hard-code a nifty system into your current project instead of pasting in something similar from a previous project and spending more time refactoring it. Made me think how often I actually do end up doing just that. With me it's probably 95% of the time I'd have been better off just starting from scratch.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/