October 18, 2019, 06:31:33 PM

Author Topic: MIX-IT-UP Comp Entry - HoneyThings  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Derron

Re: MIX-IT-UP Comp Entry - HoneyThings
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2019, 08:50:06 AM »
Might be the slight choppyness of the animation but I think the flame of the torch is animated a slight bit too fast. Especially with the "jumping" of the flames it does not look as calm as a fire should look ... Also this "jumping" might not be planned at all and is just based on the flame animation sprites not having a smooth "growth" part there (so the bigger flame "jumps in" instead of "growing").

I bet you could even have some particles added to the flame - to make it look less "reptitive".

Regarding animation at all: it seems as the plants are animated continuosly. So animation plays.... and once it reached last frame it starts with at the begin. Maybe you should consider:
- having various animations (mixes of existing frames)
- have kind of random delays between finish of an animation and begin of the next

Why?
- a "oh it suddenly moved" effect compared "yes, it moves the whole time!" is more exciting
- it removes a bit of the "everything moves constantly"-overdose

Some elements might still be animated without delay - like the tentacle. It wants to "come out and play" so no need to delay.  But for the plants there must be a reason for movement ... maybe it is pulsating until it "emerges" (becomes a flesh eating strawberry or so). Means it should begin to animate more frequently until it grows - but so it has to start slowly - anim, 2sec delay, anim, 1.5sec delay, anim, 1sec delay, ... and so on

Do not feel offended by aboves critics - just judging and suggesting stuff by looking at the animated screen you posted. Maybe it does not look "overtoned" while playing.

bye
Ron

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2019, 08:59:35 AM »
ooo... Who is this little fellow?

Offline Derron

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2019, 09:10:36 AM »
Crazy Chris Caramel ?
Fiery Fudge?

bye
Ron

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2019, 01:53:33 PM »
Caraman Bam!  ;D
And he has an inverse logic puzzle

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2019, 11:30:48 AM »
And more vegetation...

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2019, 08:51:42 AM »
nothing to show - phew!  :o

Working on sound integration and debugging  >:(

song plays but doesn't loop correctly. Hmmmm. gimmie that Wasp Spanker! Who's a naughty boy... Don't do it again!

Online Steve Elliott

« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2019, 10:17:15 AM »
Lovely pixel art on those trees...But time is ticking down, will it be completed in time?  :o
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Mojave, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.1, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
Raspbian Buster, pi4 4Gb RAM,1.5Ghz

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2019, 10:50:51 AM »
Here's hoping....   ;D

Good news. music and sound integration complete  8)

One thing I had not thought about was sound levels. But, the sound engine has provision for 2 volume controls per voice and external control inputs. So it was a case of setting all voices to different controls and then I just need to set the controls from the host and it all 'just works!'  :o
It also means I can do some funky fades of music/fx when needed. It's almost like Poke xxx,yy!

Still got option pages and a few more bits and bobs to complete - but I think it will be done....

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2019, 06:38:22 AM »
Very impressive pixel artwork :o You should do a tutorial on creating such wonders. Not to slow you down or anything :P
Until the next time...

Online Steve Elliott

« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2019, 02:54:42 PM »
Maybe that's something Adam could do for the Christmas Magazine Qube?
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Mojave, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.1, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
Raspbian Buster, pi4 4Gb RAM,1.5Ghz

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2019, 07:59:58 AM »
it's the boring bit now...

I'll get the game finished, then can start to think about the Xmas mag :)

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2019, 08:38:15 AM »
audio options now operational - yay!
Means I'm sorta starting to really do in-depth play testing and balancing.

First thoughts are:
Nice and simple. this is easy.

then.... WTF!

And then my brain starts to melt!

Offline Derron

« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2019, 09:29:27 PM »
Don't tell you create the options dialogue from ground on - instead of reusing bits and bytes from your other projects / existing "framework".

bye
Ron

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2019, 02:43:46 PM »
yep, just a few hours work - hehehehe  8)

Doing some important cross-compile tests now.
And... Oops! Let's change the code and try again.

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2019, 04:52:09 PM »
Don't tell you create the options dialogue from ground on - instead of reusing bits and bytes from your other projects / existing "framework".

I was reading a post by a veteran coder today on twitter who says reusing code is less common than you might think. Sometimes it's less hassle to just hard-code a nifty system into your current project instead of pasting in something similar from a previous project and spending more time refactoring it. Made me think how often I actually do end up doing just that. With me it's probably 95% of the time I'd have been better off just starting from scratch.