MIX-IT-UP Comp Entry - HoneyThings

Started by iWasAdam, September 19, 2019, 11:57:21

Previous topic - Next topic

3DzForMe

Just noticed the Lord of Chaos has three lots of flames going on - awesome Pixel art.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

iWasAdam

Just one graphics for them all  8)

I'm on to a new enemy: Idema-Creamo

Not sure how this will work?
But fire and ice go well together:

Derron

Hope you replace that scaled-up enemy with some fine-detailled pixel art.

Also the exit arrow seems to be a bit upscaled.

On the right the color variation of the bushes seems to be more distinctable than on the left side - on purpose (lanes opening?)

The red-crossed-blocked-stones: how do you render them on top of the ground somehow the shadow of the cross looks darker than on the light ground which makes them "pop out more" (they look not of "equal height").

As I see the ground-decoration - the one looked like a worm, maybe have some worm crouching over the ground randomly (to make the scenery "alive" and "wiggle everywhere"). Same for some bee-things at the bush-flowers or so. Plenty of possiblities for little insects or other tiny effects.

Aside of this little nitpicking ... it looks awesome and as if it sprang right from the MegaDrive or SNES (with a bit more colors per sprite ;)). I assume it could even be worth to polish it even more and then sell it for some Euros.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

exit arrow sorted
I'm trying to calm the animation down as there is a lot going on, but the insects is on the list. I've got a mad idea of some mini insects that will live on each level - almost like a tiny movie or odd 'happening' per level???  :))

Derron

You mean like ants walking along a path forming 666 or such stuff?

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Derron

Insects randomly walking around and on timer (eg one takes too long to see what to do next) they move to a certain point of the level - forming arrows.
Or insects flying around and suddenly they swarm to a certain bush ... such stuff.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Derron

they should avoid the coal laying next to them - but maybe they transport stuff here and there (move them below the left bushes ... and let another sprite move to the right - with a little 2x2 pixel berry on their back or so :-)).

Of course stuff should not be apparent in each level and every minute ... but I think it makes things come to live and people will enjoy them when seeing these little insects the first time.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

that should do it - well for the army any anyhoo  :o

iWasAdam

I wasn't sure what an icecream would do for an attack, so I decided it shoots fireballs!  :))

Derron

It could spit some whipped cream (no, not the filthy kind of animation please ;).

Or ... if it was a stracciatella ice cream on top - it could whirl around sharp edged chocolate chips.
Or it could shoot hot raspberry sauce ...

@ teddy animation
How many pixels do you move the "breathing chest"? It looks "blocky" - as if there is a y position skipped? If you move along the grid by just one pixel then maybe think of a subpixel animation ...

youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqd6epIWo6E
textual article: https://2dwillneverdie.com/tutorial/give-your-sprites-depth-with-sub-pixel-animation/

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Derron

For such tiny objects either subpixel animation or an optional "move per screen pixel not scaled canvas pixel" option would be interesting - so on big screen you have eg 3x3 pixel sized "raw pixels" but the movement is smooth by 1 screen pixel - or even with subpixel interpolation (like Qube did in the last entry - if you remember the discussion I started on that approach).

@ snail
Hah ... add a red and a green one and every 30-40 Minutes of gameplay these snails start a snail race :)
Little gimmicks here and there.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

sorted  8)
I added a checkered finish line too ! :P