MIX-IT-UP Comp Entry - Gunstar

Started by STEVIE G, September 15, 2019, 17:01:16

Previous topic - Next topic

STEVIE G

@Qube, managed to find a bug in the menu which Adam S found and also a bug which wasn't saving default controls.  Assume I'm ok to upload the fixed version?

3DzForMe

I think we've 7 whole days for bug fixes if the rules are the same, 10 would be nice though - this aging coder needs allthe help he can get! 7's good though ;)
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

BasicBoy

Although I think I previously said that I didn't have any problems running Gunstar on my Win10 laptop, that's probably because I didn't actually play game - I just watched the game in demo mode! No issues there. But this evening I started to play the game, and it (i.e. the entire graphical output) keeps freezing even though the program (process) appears to be running fine in the background. I have to Alt+Ctrl+Del to the Task Manager, then click on the Gunstar icon on the Windows program bar to resume play. And then it freezes again at some random interval of a few seconds to a minute or two. I tried recording the program using Bandicam, but it's not capturing anything but the underlying Windows desktop.

Also, I keep getting the message: "Optimal Resolution Notification - The optimal resolution is 1920 x 1080. Select this notification for more information. igfxEM Module"

But actually my Windows desktop is most assuredly already in the recommended 1920 x 1080 screen resolution.

I ran GUNSTAR_LOG.exe, but in this case I don't think the log file it produces (attached to this post) is going to help much.

System info: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ, 8 GB RAM, Intel(R) HD Graphics 630.

I haven't yet tested the game on my Win 10 desktop PC (Core i7) or my other laptop PC (Core i5). I will do within the next hour or so.

I will say that despite the 'freezing' issue, I think this game is really quite excellent in a number of ways (I like the easy control system - I'm using the mouse). I hope to give it a proper play over the next hour or so.

BasicBoy.
--

Qube

Quote from: STEVIE G on October 22, 2019, 18:30:00
@Qube, managed to find a bug in the menu which Adam S found and also a bug which wasn't saving default controls.  Assume I'm ok to upload the fixed version?
Sure, upload away as it's bug fix week :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Qube

Not had a chance to pay any entries yet :( hope to do so tomorrow night \o/
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

3DzForMe

If you're laptop has an integrated gfx card instead of a dedicated one, that could be the issue..... Just guessing, but it worked fine for me, got to level 3, and that was gone 1 in the morning after I'd nearly coded myself to death, somwhat dismaying it's the bug ridden beast it i( sorry I meant my Efforts)s, but my problem lies in my imagination fueling RIDICULOUS requirements creep.

STEVIE G

Quote from: BasicBoy on October 22, 2019, 20:45:41
Although I think I previously said that I didn't have any problems running Gunstar on my Win10 laptop, that's probably because I didn't actually play game - I just watched the game in demo mode! No issues there. But this evening I started to play the game, and it (i.e. the entire graphical output) keeps freezing even though the program (process) appears to be running fine in the background. I have to Alt+Ctrl+Del to the Task Manager, then click on the Gunstar icon on the Windows program bar to resume play. And then it freezes again at some random interval of a few seconds to a minute or two. I tried recording the program using Bandicam, but it's not capturing anything but the underlying Windows desktop.

Also, I keep getting the message: "Optimal Resolution Notification - The optimal resolution is 1920 x 1080. Select this notification for more information. igfxEM Module"

But actually my Windows desktop is most assuredly already in the recommended 1920 x 1080 screen resolution.

I ran GUNSTAR_LOG.exe, but in this case I don't think the log file it produces (attached to this post) is going to help much.

System info: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ, 8 GB RAM, Intel(R) HD Graphics 630.

I haven't yet tested the game on my Win 10 desktop PC (Core i7) or my other laptop PC (Core i5). I will do within the next hour or so.

I will say that despite the 'freezing' issue, I think this game is really quite excellent in a number of ways (I like the easy control system - I'm using the mouse). I hope to give it a proper play over the next hour or so.

BasicBoy.
--

The issue sounds more like your system not liking a resolution less than 1920x1080 - the optimal res message isn't coming from the game.  I think the game defaults to 1280x720 if your card can do it. 
but if you edit the 'Options.ini' in the Data folder and change graphics to 1920 and 1080 it might sort the issue.

Let me know if this works?

BasicBoy

QuoteLet me know if this works?

Yes, that appears to have fixed the problem. No more freezing.

Excellent work.

Got to Wave 8 (52500).

STEVIE G

Quote from: BasicBoy on October 22, 2019, 22:05:17
QuoteLet me know if this works?

Yes, that appears to have fixed the problem. No more freezing.

Excellent work.

Got to Wave 8 (52500).

Magic - ta! 

STEVIE G

V2 is up ...

Fixes issues with:
'Start Wave' menu where clicking off buttons caused a MAV
Saving default controls (including being unable to use mouse and keys)
Default screen res of 1280x720 causing screen freezing on some machines.  This is now 1920x1080 if display allows.

https://stevieg.itch.io/gunstar?secret=qpSAuh6TnXfdOw94mJ0e6czB9k

STEVIE G

V3 up - fixes issue with mouse unable to move below menu Options and cursor being distorted in 1920x1080 res.  Also fixes issue with Turrets occasionally appearing in the wrong place. 

Time to have a go at all the other excellent entries!  :D

Cheers
Stevie

STEVIE G

V4 up - fixes bug with scores sometimes disappearing.

Same link as before.

Cheers
Stevie

3DzForMe

Quote from: STEVIE G on October 25, 2019, 09:11:34
V3 up - fixes issue with mouse unable to move below menu Options and cursor being distorted in 1920x1080 res.  Also fixes issue with Turrets occasionally appearing in the wrong place. 

Time to have a go at all the other excellent entries!  :D

Cheers
Stevie

Miness as finished as it's getting, you still got Stramash languishing somewhere, I'll bet that'd do well on Mobile, sorry don't let me derail this from Gunstar, got up to level 5 last night, just about to play it on the big telly

3DzForMe

After playing your Game this afternoon Stevie, my daughter said she'd like to meet you, erm, your game scored 10 outa 10. I scraped a 5 for sheer comedy value. Iv loved creating my little slice of moving 3D art. Off out too walk in he dog

Xerra

Stevie G - the Tom Cruise of game design  ;D
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/